Gander Mountain the home of the idiots
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gander Mountain the home of the idiots

I am a resident of Virginia and my daughter will be turning 18 at the end of this week. She wants a 380 auto for her birthday. Before anybody takes a nosedive over the cliff, an 18 year old can carry a pistol openly in Virginia (state law). Now she cannot purchase a pistol from an ffl but she can purchase a pistol from a private seller. She cannot buy pistol ammunition from any store but she can from a private seller. I can buy her a pistol and give it to her as she is related to me. I am a parent and she is my daughter...that is called related by those of you that are getting ready to have a fit. Gander Mountain clerk got extremely arrogant when I approached him about the purchase. My daughter wanted to pick out the particular pistol she wanted. Gander clerk said I could not even mention her name or suggest that the gun was for an 18 year old. He could not work with me...period...if I mentioned daughter again.

I left...BTW I have spent several thousand dollars at Gander over the past 18 months...not anymore though...I went to an actual firearms shop right down the road. I asked them if they understood federal and state firearm laws. They said they did. Then you won't have a problem with me buying a pistol for my daughter who is turning 18. Just FYI I could have bought her a pistol when she was 8 years old. They said hell, no problem at all...that is called gifting. The man behind the counter said "I am 19 years old and I open carry everywhere I go". Please folks, so many damned people do not know the laws regarding firearms. Make your ffl learn the laws. If they cannot learn the laws tell them to get out of the business.

A few folks reading this post probably do not even know that an 18 year old in Virginia can be in possession and open carry any pistol of their choosing. I have read numerous posts regarding firearm laws that are so outrageous and ill informed it makes me wonder if those people should even have a cap gun. And Gander lets the morons sell the guns. No wonder people are screaming for gun control...idiots at Gander Mountain.

I learned something new today. That's a great law for responsible young adults. I personally can't stand big chain businesses when it comes to buying guns. They don't appreciate that you keep them in business like local shops do. If I need something from bass pro, gander, dicks etc, I just get in and out. Other than the Buffalo gun center in Buffalo, NY most small businesses appreciate your patronage. I personally like Hyatt's in Charlotte, NC. Glad you found an educated and sensible gun shop my friend.

That's the problem with large chain stores like Gander Mountain... National places like that have to deal with more laws than just local state so they often screw up the nuances, plus they get employees transferring from one state to another who may not have learned everything in the new state yet (or they are know-it-alls who think they already know the law so don't bother to research). They can be great stores for general outdoorsy stuff, but I'll take a local gun shop any day for anything firearms related. And REI for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    That's the problem with large chain stores like Gander Mountain... National places like that have to deal with more laws than just local state so they often screw up the nuances, plus they get employees transferring from one state to another who may not have learned everything in the new state yet (or they are know-it-alls who think they already know the law so don't bother to research). They can be great stores for general outdoorsy stuff, but I'll take a local gun shop any day for anything firearms related. And REI for the rest.
    That is very true but I would suspect if you are in the business of selling fishing tackle you should make an effort to know creel limits or what kind of fish are in Virginia waters and where they might be found. Clearly you are not going to sell sturgeon bait to anybody in Alaska or tell someone that you don't know the limit on a protected species. The law is very simple to understand in Virginia...very simple and easy to find with a simple google search. I can do it in about ten seconds. But this guy really became an obnoxious twit. I did talk to the store manager on duty and I did send an email to Gander. If the employees do not know the law about firearms they should not be playing with guns. People have far too much too loose if they are instructed by the ignorant.

They may have some crazy nation-wide store policy to follow, too... Or the guy was just a lazy idiot (sounds like it!). You're definitely right about employees knowing the law... can only imagine if it went the other way and some idiot taught a new gun owner to do something completely illegal. If you get a return email from Gander, I'd be interested to know what it said...

One thing I will say for Gander... gotta love the concealed carry is welcome signs!

I would get her a can of mace. Think back, how reactionary were you at 18? Once the bullet travels down that barrel, there is no calling it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    I would get her a can of mace. Think back, how reactionary were you at 18? Once the bullet travels down that barrel, there is no calling it back.
    Better yet...the boobs out in Colorado told women at the University of Colorado they didn't need a firearm for protection against a rapist, all they had to do was vomit on their attacker or just pee their pants. They didn't mention mace. Now that is one sure fire way to turn a violent attacker even more violent. On second thought I think we will keep with the pistol! But hey, thanks for the advice.

Just as a follow up...it is not likely that my daughter will exercise her right to carry, but currently she does not have that as an option unless she is with me. If an 18 year old is mature enough to kill in war or be killed in war, they are mature enough to carry a firearm in a public place. I suspect they earned the right as payment for protecting my right.

I walked into a gun store with my dad when I was like 12 and picked out my first pistol. No problems whatsoever.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    They may have some crazy nation-wide store policy to follow, too... Or the guy was just a lazy idiot (sounds like it!). You're definitely right about employees knowing the law... can only imagine if it went the other way and some idiot taught a new gun owner to do something completely illegal. If you get a return email from Gander, I'd be interested to know what it said...

One thing I will say for Gander... gotta love the concealed carry is welcome signs!
    A number of weeks ago, a fellow posting on another forum told about his visit to the new GM firearms superstore in Grandville, MI. He was openly carrying in accordance with MI state law, never unholstered his firearm. The gal at the customer service desk YELLED across the aisle to him, "You can't carry a pistol like that in this store!" Forget about the fact that OC is legal in MI. Common sense tells you that you discreetly handle such things - not point him out to everyone else in the store.

Suffice it to say, the customer left GM and went down the street a half mile to the new Cabela's that opened up, where even many of GM's own employees shop because, to quote one of their firearms sales people, "GM's prices are too friggin expensive for me to buy guns there!"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast