I want to build a custom 7.62x54R anyone have a good idea where to start?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to build a custom 7.62x54R anyone have a good idea where to start?

I want to build a custom 7.62x54R anyone have a good idea where to start?

So I used to own a mosin Nagant but had to part with it a few years back. Fortunately my finances are back on track and I finally can replace that rifle. But I don't really want another mosin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Why spend the extra time and money and frustration of changing something you dont really want to something you might not be happy with the end result? If it is what you want to do then by all means. But you can get a good 3006, etc, for the same or less and have something youre happier with. Its your choice though, you should do what you want. I would suggest looking at savage bolt actions, or whatever it is that you do want

sent from my mobile using the mobile carry app

I've seen savages but never gotten the chance to pull the trigger on one. How are they? I was only thinking about the 7.62x54R because ammo for it in New Hampshire is extremely cheap.

Other options are PKMs. But you better have a lot of money and time. Type 53 is the Chinese equal to the Mosin-Nagants. There really isn't much selection in the way of guns that shoot the 7.62X54R round. Why not a M-N on a synthetic stock using the M-44 as a basis for the gun?.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

You would be well advised to go with a 30-06. Ammunition is easier to get, very flexible, and there are no shortage of rifles in this caliber
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

I'm gonna look into sporterizing a mosin. I do love the 30-06 round but in my area that ammo is expensive. I should have mentioned that I'm only 23 and my fiancé is due to give birth to our first child in November. I can get 25 rounds for a mosin for about 5 bucks which is why I want something that shoots that ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by djkivley View Post
    I'm gonna look into sporterizing a mosin. I do love the 30-06 round but in my area that ammo is expensive. I should have mentioned that I'm only 23 and my fiancé is due to give birth to our first child in November. I can get 25 rounds for a mosin for about 5 bucks which is why I want something that shoots that ammo.
    You can buy a 91/30 fairly cheap and cut the barrel shorter. As it is a bolt action, no gas problems. That actually would be cheaper than starting with a M-44. M-44s are now in the $300+ range. A couple years back they were only $79.99.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    You can buy a 91/30 fairly cheap and cut the barrel shorter. As it is a bolt action, no gas problems. That actually would be cheaper than starting with a M-44. M-44s are now in the $300+ range. A couple years back they were only $79.99.
    I was looking at a magazine from 2009 and hex receiver mosins were available for 39.99. You could request a certain armory and year as well. Wish I had gotten mosinitis sooner...

Ya it's crazy how much prices have gone up. I remember buyin my mosin and an AK at the same time for 650 bucks.

11. Quote Originally Posted by djkivley View Post
    So I used to own a mosin Nagant but had to part with it a few years back. Fortunately my finances are back on track and I finally can replace that rifle. But I don't really want another mosin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    How much are you willing to spend?

When you say 'custom rifle' that can mean anything from changing stocks and adding a scope to a military gun to a one of a kind gun that's been hand built using parts selected specifically for the build.

Personally, if I was to decide to build a true custom rifle rather than just sporterizing a preexisting one, I'd find a stripped Mauser action (because I like Mauser actions better than Mosin-Nagant actions) and build it up from there. It's not like there hasn't been millions and millions of Mauser bolt guns built in the last 125 years. The 7.62x54R should fit in a large ring Mauser just like the .30-06 and 8x57mm, so, if I could find one of the stripped Czech Mauser actions that were on the market a while back, that would be a perfect starting point. Turn down the bolt handle, have the bolt face machined to take the 7.62x54R rim and the extractor modified to work with it, pick one of the custom trigger systems (I like Timney), get a hold of Fajen or one of the other stock makers and pick out a semi inletted stock, then call Douglass or one of the other barrel makers and get a barrel blank that's bored in the proper diameter (and probably already turned to the contour I want, too). After that, all you have to do is figure out the sights and/or scope/scope base combination you prefer and the finish on the stock and barrel and action.

Once I've got all the parts picked out, I'd send everything over to somebody like Selma Rifle Works that I know can build accurate long guns and have them put it together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast