Res Permits Only
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Res Permits Only

1. Res Permits Only

I'm trying to figure out what that term means. I was looking at my map for TN, and I see all the states that DO and DON'T accept my TN permit. But what does it mean when it says the state "TN Res Permits Only?"

That means they only honor RESIDENT permits, they do not honor Non-Resident permits.
    Springfield Loaded Custom Champion
    RIA 1911A1 Duo-Tone Tactical
    XD40 Sub-Compact
    Ruger 22/45
    Browning Baby 6.35mm
    Ruger K10/22
    Marlin 336w 30-30
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty & The Pursuit Of Those Against It

It means they will not honor it if you are from another state than TN they will not honor your TN permit. You have to reside in TN
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by fgreen04 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what that term means. I was looking at my map for TN, and I see all the states that DO and DON'T accept my TN permit. But what does it mean when it says the state "TN Res Permits Only?"
    Means if you live in TN but you only have a NON-RESIDENT permit from Florida, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts or any of the other state that will issue non-resident permit to you , then the permit is NO GOOD.

States that accepts RESIDENT PERMITS ONLY mean your permit MUST be from the state YOU RESIDE IN.

If I'm not mistaken, Tennessee does not even issue nonresident permits, so this issue is a moot point as far as TN is concerned. Nevertheless, what this means is that a particular state will only honor a state's permit if the permit holder is a resident of the issuing state.

NC, Garland (about 30 miles E. of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingMass View Post
    Means if you live in TN but you only have a NON-RESIDENT permit from Florida, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts or any of the other state that will issue non-resident permit to you , then the permit is NO GOOD.

States that accepts RESIDENT PERMITS ONLY mean your permit MUST be from the state YOU RESIDE IN.
    Does MA issue non-resident permits? If so, what is the process and cost?

Most of my family lives in MA and I find myself there a few times per year. As of now, I go unarmed, but I would like to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    Does MA issue non-resident permits? If so, what is the process and cost?

Most of my family lives in MA and I find myself there a few times per year. As of now, I go unarmed, but I would like to change that.
    Yes, MA does issue nonresident permits. You would apply for a Class A license; ironically, from what I have heard, nonresidents often find it easier to get an unrestricted Class A license than residents do. Capo2186 is from MA and he would be a good person to talk to about the whole process. Maybe you could send him a PM.
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 09-18-2008 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Yes, MA does issue nonresident permits. You would apply for a Class A license; ironically, from what I have heard, nonresidents often find it easier to get an unrestricted Class A license than residents do. Capo2186 is from MA and he would be a good person to talk to about the whole process. Maybe you could send him a PM.
    M.G.L. - Chapter 140, Section 131f

I have heard from people that it is an easier process than being a resident here. When you apply for a non-resident, you apply directly to the Firearms Bureau, where as residents have to first have the approval of their local PD. The denial rate and the restriction rate (if any) are less for non-residents. Apply for the Class A LTC ALP. Always aim for the gold. Non-resident permits are good for 1 year and cost $100. Best of luck!
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    M.G.L. - Chapter 140, Section 131f

I have heard from people that it is an easier process than being a resident here. When you apply for a non-resident, you apply directly to the Firearms Bureau, where as residents have to first have the approval of their local PD. The denial rate and the restriction rate (if any) are less for non-residents. Apply for the Class A LTC ALP. Always aim for the gold. Non-resident permits are good for 1 year and cost $100. Best of luck!
    What is the cost of renewal after the first year?

$100 is a little high for someone that will only be in the state for 5-10 days a year.

Would there be any other benifit to having a MA non-resident permit? Are there any other states that honor that permit that don't already honor my NC permit?

The funny thing is, a few years ago I talked my Dad (who lives in Walpole, MA) into getting his permit. Now he has a MA Class A "All Lawfull Purposes" LTC, but does not even own a handgun. Go figure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast