NRA Built Massive Gun Owner Database - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: NRA Built Massive Gun Owner Database

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,419
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    While an NRA member for many years, I don't necessarily buy everything they're selling. We can all be "purists" if we want but the reality is we NEED someone greasing palms, lobbying, or whatever the hell it takes to keep the antis at bay. It's messy but that's life in the big city. There is power in numbers and the NRA, like it or not, has numbers. And that's what's needed to move Congress-scum in the right direction.

    It also seems to me that, unlike at other times in the past, the NRA held firm and didn't budge a freakin' inch after Sandy Hook and the resultant scream for more gun control. And I was sure they were gonna cave somehow, so that's something.

    At worst: the enemy of my enemy is my ally.
    No particular argument with anything you say here, it's just that I have chosen to help build the numbers of organizations that I don't have any major disagreements with. The "Either-join-the-N R A-or-it-means-you-ain't-doin'-squat" meme is as offensive as someone telling me I have to vote for a gun-grabbing, baby-killing, abortion-profiteering Mitt Romney or else I'm actually voting for Obama. I have choices, and I exercise them to the furthest extent I can to keep my conscience clear and my money going as far towards the issues I support as possible. The N R A simply fails on that latter consideration, so it's SAF, GOA and JPFO for me.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    Been thinking about this a bit. I've attended hundreds of gun shows. I don't remember ever being required to give my name and address in order to attend one. So ...... what list?
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    238
    Blog Entries
    1
    The N R A has been stepping on gun rights since at least 1968.
    Their preverbal "line in the sand" on gun rights issues is only significant because you can see all the erased lines in the sand behind them.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

  5. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    No particular argument with anything you say here, it's just that I have chosen to help build the numbers of organizations that I don't have any major disagreements with. The "Either-join-the-N R A-or-it-means-you-ain't-doin'-squat" meme is as offensive as someone telling me I have to vote for a gun-grabbing, baby-killing, abortion-profiteering Mitt Romney or else I'm actually voting for Obama. I have choices, and I exercise them to the furthest extent I can to keep my conscience clear and my money going as far towards the issues I support as possible. The N R A simply fails on that latter consideration, so it's SAF, GOA and JPFO for me.

    Blues
    I also support the SAF and GOA. Guess I'm just taking the shotgun approach (pun intended). We need all the political muscle we can muster, IMO, and help is where you find it. We are in a WAR for this country and the enemy wishes us totally disarmed. Anybody who's willing to fight that along side of me is welcomed to the battle. Along these lines, I think maybe the bigger problem is gun owners with their heads buried in the sand, who don't support ANY organization. I counseled my sporting clays team members the other night to support SOMETHING (these guys like to hunt and shoot but really pay no attention to what the hell is going on).
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Been thinking about this a bit. I've attended hundreds of gun shows. I don't remember ever being required to give my name and address in order to attend one. So ...... what list?
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Every gun show I go to requires attendees to run a gauntlet of N R A membership pitches before you can get into the floor area. But first, you have the chance to fill out an email address card so the show promoters can let you know when the next show is. I always fill it out because that's the easiest way to know about upcoming shows, but I'll guarantee that the email addy's are given to the N R A reps because after each show, I have to unsubscribe from another N R A-ILA newsletter that I never signed up for willingly.
    I didn't say that I was ever required to fill out an info-card. I did say that after filling one out for the show promoter, they were quite obviously given to the N R A reps that were there doing their ubiquitous membership drives, and that fact put me on their contact list unwillingly (and I said that in direct response to a paragraph taken from the OP article that specifically mentioned gun shows as being one of the sources of their non-member lists). I know this for a fact because when I first moved up here to the Huntsville area, I was using a Hotmail account that I'd had for a few years up to that point. My first gun show up here triggered the N R A spam into that account. I stopped using that account because of general spam issues (not just N R A) maybe 3 or 4 years later, and have been using the same alternate account ever since, and the cycle is always the same; attend show - tell promoter I'm already on their list - they verify - enjoy show - go home - within two or three weeks get an email from N R A that I have to unsubscribe from again.

    Yes, I have asked people running the admission gate to make sure my info doesn't get shared with anybody, to no avail. Yes, the problem for me is with the gun show promoter, not so much with N R A, but that doesn't change the fact that they are gathering names and email addresses (at least) of non-members, just like the OP says they are.

    You guys who are already N R A members wouldn't know if this was going on because you already get all the marketing and ILA alerts. If you do share contact info at gun shows, or if your state does share CCW-holder and/or mandated training class attendees' info, it would not affect you at all as a member. You get all that stuff willingly. It is forced on me, unless I inconvenience myself by taking my info off the promoter's email list, and that just doesn't make sense for me, because the show I'm talking about is literally the only game in town. I'd have to drive two hours (to Birmingham) before I'd find a show that wasn't put on by the same promoter, and the emails make it easy to know when they're going to be here in town.

    You will notice also that I didn't say I thought they were doing anything nefarious or illegal with the lists they're compiling. For me, it's an annoyance. But I do think there's a fair amount of irony that they sell themselves as the protectors of gun owners against overreaching registration schemes, while they compile lists of both members and non-members to the annoyance of the latter group. I just want to be able to choose who I associate with. Is that unreasonable?

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  7. #26
    Just about most households around here, & most other places I know, have at least a few guns. I don't think it's any big secret.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    238
    Blog Entries
    1
    Speaking of unsolicited email junk is anyone else getting them from this site? I'm a subscriber to the newsletter but now I've been getting emails from usacarry.com with 3rd party messages that are usually BS. Links to suspicious sources with the text: Please find below a message from our sponsoring advertisers. No thank you... I'm about to unsubscribe. Not making enough money, Luke?
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I didn't say that I was ever required to fill out an info-card. I did say that after filling one out for the show promoter, they were quite obviously given to the N R A reps that were there doing their ubiquitous membership drives.....
    Sorry. I didn't catch that part. They don't do that at any gun shows I've attended, or at least I've never seen them do it. Plus, every gun show organizer I've seen for the past several years has a web site with a calendar on it that gives the dates of upcoming shows. My state CCW organization also asks me to volunteer as a rep for them at local shows whenever I can, so email alerts aren't really necessary for me. Maybe you could try cruising the promoter's web sites for that info so you don't need to fill out the cards. Worth considering I hope.
    .
    You will notice also that I didn't say I thought they were doing anything nefarious or illegal with the lists they're compiling. For me, it's an annoyance. But I do think there's a fair amount of irony that they sell themselves as the protectors of gun owners against overreaching registration schemes, while they compile lists of both members and non-members to the annoyance of the latter group. I just want to be able to choose who I associate with. Is that unreasonable?
    Absolutely not. I detest spam too, so I know exactly where you're coming from. Kind of weird though. I'm a life member and I almost never get emails from them. The only thing I see is the once or twice a month pitch email asking me to participate in the supplemental gun insurance program, which I already do. I could set a rule in my email program to automatically delete those if I wanted, but they don't really come in often enough to justify doing that.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I'd have to drive two hours (to Birmingham) before I'd find a show that wasn't put on by the same promoter, and the emails make it easy to know when they're going to be here in town.

    Blues
    Blues, I am a willing NRA member and understand your frustration in being bombarded by spam from them when you are only wanting to be aware of gun shows coming to town. I don't know about your promoter but the one that usually makes regular appearances here in town has a web site and I usually check their web site at least once a month. That gives me advance notice even though this same outfit puts up billboards where I usually travel in town as well as ads in the local paper. Have you checked your promoter for a web site? If they have one you might be able to dispense with registering with the promoter. Good luck.
    Dave "The said Constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." Samuel Adams

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Louisville Ky.
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by dgifted View Post
    I don't care as much that I am on a list for the NRA since I have been a member for a while. What I do care about is if the Chief Rights Abuser obummer puts me on a target list that he or any of his cronies put together. He has the NSA to track my every movement by cell phone and other data mining techniques. That I object to. Those goons have already stated and shown the Second Amendment doesn't apply if they say it doesn't apply. They have the power to put a lot of us 6 feet under before anyone can get around to declaring what they are doing is illegal. We have 5 years of proof that a law means nothing to this crowd if they don't want to obey it. I don't think the NRA has anything beyond the fact that I am a gun rights supporter and certainly is not out to take rights or more away from me.
    I agree. If it helps the NRA protect our rights, fine. If true they have simply gathered public documents that other organizations could gather, not like the NSA bugging our phones or hacking our e-mail.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast