What do the laws say?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do the laws say?

What do the laws say?

OK i have been reading the 7 stage guide that was posted on here and people are talking about being in the mind set and always thinking what if this happens and then this. What i want to know is say you are in a store and it's being robbed at gun point and you have a Concealed carry permit and your gun on you. What are the laws around this? Are you with in your rights to pull your gun and open fire? I was thinking no because they are not pointing the gun at you and robbing you. They are robbing the store? Am i wrong on this matter? What about other things like lets say a mass shooting at a walmart are you with in your right to get in a gun fight with the shooter? I also ask because i found this video on youtube. What if like in the video some one is being stabbed in front of you are you with in the law to shoot the person?

Here is the video.
    YouTube - Good Samaritan Kills Woman's Attacker

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

SOME States authorizes deadly force in defending a 3rd-party/person, some states frowns upon it
    Some states require you to retreat if possible, some states allow you to stand your ground.

Stop the assault ..........Deadly force requires deadly force.Protect another living being.

5. In Florida you have the right to use deadly force to stop a forcible felony. Thus, in your scenario you would be within your rights here in Florida to pull your firearm and stop the robbery.
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

WOW i had no idea that the laws about when you can use a gun had to to with this type of stuff as well. Well now i know if it was me in the middle of a mass shooting i would get the hell out of there let the cops deal with it thats what they get paid for. unless he was blocking the door or was coming after me and my family in the store. Some one robbing a store is more so you have no choice but to pull your gun. If some one came in and robbed the store and it looked to me as if they where going to kill every one in there. Or they shot the clerk then i would draw my gun but other then that i think i would just let it out and file the police report. As i am not dirty harry looking to stop all the bad guys. But again is this just me? What would you do if there was a mass shooting? Or the Gas station was being robbed with you in it?

In the first scenario, if you can either hide or get out, do so, but have your gun ready in case SHTF. Same goes for the second scenario. I believe that trouble should be avoided whenever possible; only if you and your family can't safely hide or leave should you try to confront the perp.

Good them i am not alone on this..

Could you live with yourself if women and chrildren were being killed in your presents and you did nothing.Yes I believe in covering my ass, the moral obligation to defend the weak is here .

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    OK i have been reading the 7 stage guide that was posted on here and people are talking about being in the mind set and always thinking what if this happens and then this. What i want to know is say you are in a store and it's being robbed at gun point and you have a Concealed carry permit and your gun on you. What are the laws around this? Are you with in your rights to pull your gun and open fire? I was thinking no because they are not pointing the gun at you and robbing you. They are robbing the store? Am i wrong on this matter? What about other things like lets say a mass shooting at a walmart are you with in your right to get in a gun fight with the shooter? I also ask because i found this video on youtube. What if like in the video some one is being stabbed in front of you are you with in the law to shoot the person?
    Keep in mind that in a situation you do not know the players. If no one has been harmed yet, it is best to let the subject go. It may be an undercover LEO for all you know acting like they're robbing the place or apprehending a fujitive. If all they're doing is taking the money and running, it's not your job to intervene. You also risk civil liability if one of your bullets hits an innocent bystander or damages property even if it goes through the subject, stops them and keeps on going and kills someone else. Anything a bullet from your firearm touches after it comes out of the barrel you own.

If you're in a situation where you may be another victim such as the Trolley Square incident in SLC Utah then yes, intervene because if you don't, you'll end up getting an honorable mention on a real life episode of CSI.

Also keep in mind that the laws very greatly from State to State concerning use of lethal force and civil liability associated with using it. In FL or MO, you wouldn't have an issue because of their stand your ground statutes. If the shooting is justifiable and all of your rounds went into the subject that you justifiably used force against you should not have an issue in FL or MO. However, you may have an issue in your State and definitely an issue in States with no castle doctrine law.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

KWO50 you make a good point that the sheep dogs should watch out for the sheep when the wolf comes to play. But at the same time like netentity said we do not know all the facts and it may be a cop. What i was getting at was if i was in the middle of a mass shooting i would get the hell out of there. I would only draw and use my gun if they where blocking the door or they where coming after me or my family. I would also act if i saw the shooter or shooter's about to kill another person ONLY IF they where by me at the time. What i mean by get the hell out of there is i am not going to go and track the shooter or shooter's down and shoot it out with them just because i have a gun. Netentity also said the same thing as i said about only acting if some one was about to be hurt. Like i said in the above posts if they look like they just want the money and will leave with it thats fine take it. Not my job to stop them unless i am about to die.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast