Tula Steele Case Ammo

Thread: Tula Steele Case Ammo

Tula Steele Case Ammo

I took my new AR to the range yesterday. I wanted to run a few different kinds of ammo through it to see how the gun handled it.
    When I got to the Tula steel Case Ammo the Range master came over and said that when the gun got hot the case would stick because of the lacquer coating. He said they have had to ram out casings with cleaning rods.
    I have never run Tula ammo so I don't know if this really happens.
    Has anyone experienced this?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Wolf used lacquer in the old days but replaced this with a polymer coating; I would not use steel in a good firearm but had thousands of the cheap wolf for a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch I had bought just for that purpose. I had several letters from Wolf and Armalite in regards to this issue. Armalite was adamant that steel cases were not good or suggested/recommended for their long guns. Wolf as would be expected said no problems noted. In addition, others have said if indeed the case does become stuck due to a buildup of lacquer and the heat that the case could become stuck, that a good extractor might pull the rim off. If you only have steel case then use it if you have other, I would keep the steel for SHTF only.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    while it may have happened it doesn't mean that it WILL happen, a lot has to do with the actual weapon and the care and maintenance it has seen. you can take a lot of what so called experts, instructors, range SOs, cops and others say with a huge grain of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    I took my new AR to the range yesterday. I wanted to run a few different kinds of ammo through it to see how the gun handled it.
    When I got to the Tula steel Case Ammo the Range master came over and said that when the gun got hot the case would stick because of the lacquer coating. He said they have had to ram out casings with cleaning rods.
    Unfortunately, I have first hand knowledge of this. My AR-15 hates the Tula ammo. By the fifth shot with it. If they would copper wash it like is done on steel case 7.62X54R there would not be a problem. Guns with tight clearances in the chamber may not like the poly or lacquer coating. Some guns are fine with it, others are not. YMMV. After my first box, I gave away the other 4 boxes I had.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

With ammunition in short supply and good ammo priced very high, many people are buying cheaper steel cased, bi-metal jacket ammunition from Wolf, TulAmmo, Herter's, etc.While I don't generally recommend steel cased ammo, it's not going to hurt your rifle in limited amounts. If used exclusively however it will reduce the barrel life by about 4,000-5,000 rounds. Most if not all of this ammo uses a copper coated steel jacketed "bi-metal" bullet which increases wear on the barrel. In testing done by LuckyGunner Labs, rifles using Federal brass cased ammo were still shooting decent groups up to 10,000 rounds. With steel cased ammo the groups were all over the place at 6,000 rounds with many bullets tumbling and key holing.The other problem with steel cased ammo is that the cases don't expand the same way that brass cases do. This causes carbon build up between the case and the chamber wall. This build up can cause stuck cases. Sometimes these cases will stick so severely that it is difficult to remove them even with a cleaning rod. It is even worse if you fire a bunch of steel cased ammo then fire brass cased right behind it in a dirty chamber. Then the brass case expanding normally really sticks to the carbon left behind in the chamber.So if you are going to use steel cased ammo I recommend breaking the rifle in with decent brass cased ammo first. Up to 100 rounds, the more the better. Another problem with steel cased ammo is a lot of it seems to be somewhat underpowered which can cause short stroking issues. If the gun is broken in first with brass cased ammo this helps seal the gas system somewhat which will make the lower powered steel cased ammo work a bit better. Also, make sure to keep your chamber clean. Keep in mind that it is going to foul pretty quickly with steel cased ammo.Here are two excellent articles regarding the issues with steel cased ammunition that I always recommend. One of them is the excellent LuckyGunner test.http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu...el-cased-ammo/

Its kinda dirty but keep your weapon clean. I have used Wolf more than Tula and not had a problem with either one. Shooting AR15 and a AK47. I use the steel casing ammo when I am in classes that usually go through over a 1000 rounds in a weekend. There are people that bad mouth it just because they heard someone else bad mouthing it. .223 and 7.62x39 are the only 2 cal. I can speak for I have not used any other cal.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

Tula Steele Case Ammo

I have had issues with the wolf polymer sticking in the chamber of my bushmaster. After about 20 rounds I'd have to use a cleaning rod to remove the case. After about 500 rounds I had to replace the ejector spring and buffer.
    Guns.??? What Guns???