How do you respond to people thinking your are paranoid?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you respond to people thinking your are paranoid?

1. How do you respond to people thinking your are paranoid?

I don't carry a sign that I am carrying a firearm at all times. However I have gotten into discussions with people concerning firearms and they have expressed that they feel people that are 'gun nuts' are just being paranoid. They never have any statistics to back up their stance unlike 'gun nuts' statistics showing crime stats and the very real possibility to be a target of criminals nearly anytime and any place no matter how strictly they try to avoid dangerous places. Call it what you will, but if whatever drives my reasons to carry a firearm is ever the deciding factor of making it home at night or not I will be ever thankful for that right.

No sign here either, but My gun is always by my side (except in the shower) and within arms length while sleeping. I don't go to bars, so no problem there. My gun is part of my daily attire, and without it I would feel like the king in his new clothes (naked in case you don't remember). LOL
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

paranoid? I would respond I'm prepared. Then ask them ; Can you defend yourself against an armed assailant or home invasion or would you just call 911? I have a few fire extinguishers around the house. Am I paranoid of fire or just prepared incase something happens?
    -
    Sooner to have and never need, then desperately need and not have. Just another tool in one's tool box of life.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

If I have a gun, what would I be paranoid about?

How do you respond to people thinking your are paranoid?

Mostly I just give them a look of disdain. I don't need their approval unless I want to dump a truckload of bs on their lawn.

Approximate quote from Will Rogers, "It ain't paranoia if the bastards are really out to gitcha" .
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

Tell them to Google "Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom," and then get back to you on the paranoia thing. I hope for the best, but always plan for the worst. You never know where trouble might find you.

I recite the firearm carriers' version of Pascal's wager: if I carry every day of my life and nothing ever happens, I have lost nothing - if you never carry and something does happen, you have lost everything.

Then I tell them I don't care what they think.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Ask them, "do you have:

fire extinguishers
    home insurance
    car insurance
    life insurance
    spare tire and jack?"

Those are all preparedness items that you hope you never need to use, but will be glad to have them if do need them. The gun, and the training to use it, is just another facet of preparation.

Then have them watch the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition bit.
    Never argue with a red-haired witch. It wastes your breath and only delays the inevitable. --the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff357 View Post
    How do you respond to people thinking you're paranoid?
    First, I make 'em strip to prove they're not wired. Assuming they're not, then I demand to know who sent them. If they are though, sorry, I can't answer that question on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff357 View Post
    I don't carry a sign that I am carrying a firearm at all times. However I have gotten into discussions with people concerning firearms and they have expressed that they feel people that are 'gun nuts' are just being paranoid. They never have any statistics to back up their stance unlike 'gun nuts' statistics showing crime stats and the very real possibility to be a target of criminals nearly anytime and any place no matter how strictly they try to avoid dangerous places. Call it what you will, but if whatever drives my reasons to carry a firearm is ever the deciding factor of making it home at night or not I will be ever thankful for that right.
    Seriously though, I assume that the discussions you get into with such people don't include you disclosing that you're carrying, right? If you are disclosing to casual acquaintances, you're doing it wrong. Assuming you're not though, I'd just forget about it. You can't win everybody over, and if casual, friendly conversation doesn't make any headway with them, then shrug your shoulders and quit worrying about what others think of you. If you ever need your weapon in a gunfight, chances are they're going to hear about it on the news or through the grapevine, and assuming you won the fight, that will "say" enough about why you carry. If you never get in a gunfight, count your blessings. Those who you might've wasted your efforts to convince how prudent and prepared you are will go to their graves blissfully ignorant of the fact that you were exactly the kind of person they taught their kids to be afraid of. What they don't know won't hurt them. Who cares what they think anyway?

And welcome to the forums.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

What do I tell them? "After you have been at the wrong end four times in your life, feel free to get back to me about being paranoid."

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast