Advice for a teenager who wants to become a gunsmith?

Thread: Advice for a teenager who wants to become a gunsmith?

Question Advice for a teenager who wants to become a gunsmith?

I spent some time searching but didn't turn up any discussions on this, apologies if I missed it.

My teenage son wants to be a gunsmith. He is starting a vocational-technical program this Fall for precision machining with an eye toward gunsmithing, so we're getting there. I know there are many gunsmiths here in the community and I'm wondering if you can share some advice I can pass on to my son.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend he go to a hands on gunsmith school NRA Short-Term Gunsmithing Schools
    And try to get a job with a gun manufacturer.

Howdy,

The vocational-technical program for precision machining is a great starting point.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Thanks for the replies. We'd looked into the NRA short-term schools, and I think that might be in his future. The idea of working for a manufacturer is one I hadn't given much thought to since I'm not sure how many manufacturers there are in Washington state. (I only know of Olympic Arms off hand) I'll start looking into that.

Pennsylvania Gunsmith School: Pittsburgh PA

One of the best in the country and world renowned.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)