“Don’t Run in a Straight Line” and other Bad Advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Don’t Run in a Straight Line” and other Bad Advice

Mythbusters did a similar study regarding the common practice of running when it's raining so you don't get as wet. Long story short, they both got just as wet, but the walkers were wet on top while the runners were wet on the front.
    -
    If I had to guess, (and maybe someone coulf find more info) the second shots were probably the most accurate. This would also explain the reduced hit percentage vs straight line runners since some gave no time for a second shot. I agree that running directly away from an attacker is probably not a good idea vs diagonally away.
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I would say running in a straight line away from your attacker is inherently a bad idea especially if you know you're the specific target. I would much rather run in straight lines between cover, working my way away from him. If you're only 7-10 feet away from him though and you have no cover and no weapon, you're pretty much screwed if he's ever shot a gun before.
    I agree with the first part of this post. In my view getting to the closest "cover" is paramount. But, I don't agree with the statement of being screwed if you're facing armed attackers within 10 feet.

I have a rule that I've lived by since I was a teenager that says: "When facing a armed attacker in <10' ranges, prepare for hth defense that involves deflect & counter before you move to cover."

IMHO; If my attacker is armed (knife, gun, club, whatever) and they are within "spitting" distance, my best chance for survival with minimal injuries is to close the gap & get inside arms length and turn "defensive" situation into an "offensive" one. My plan is to disrupt the BG's OODA loop; deflect the initial attack using the "element of surprise". (hopefully gaining control of the BGs weapon in the process.)

By disrupting, deflecting and mounting an initial counter-strike, I hope to give myself the extra time I need to reach cover safely or escape the encounter completely. Since I'm not capable of running, I "need" to create more time to cover distance. Therefore, it's a lot easier for me to take two steps toward the attacker and mount a hth assault than it is for me to turn & run 20'-30' & get away.

I look at it like this-
    Seven to 10 feet is really more like 3 or 4 feet to the BG's weapon or his wrists. Taking "reach" into consideration, I should be able to reach a BG in two or three steps; or one or two a seconds when they are that close. However, it may take me 5 or 6 seconds to reach cover.

I've used this rule against armed attackers on several occasions. I even used it against 4 attackers armed with clubs & knives without getting cut or my head bashed in. (I was a lot younger and in better shape back then however.)

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    Wow! What I got out of that was if someone's shooting at you, you'd best be shooting back, not running!
    I couldn't agree more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I've used this rule against armed attackers on several occasions. I even used it against 4 attackers armed with clubs & knives without getting cut or my head bashed in. (I was a lot younger and in better shape back then however.)

-
    Ok Chuck Norris.

Ok Chuck Norris.
    It doesn't take a Chuck Norris to learn a few moves that you can use should you have a lapse in your SA and let a BG or two get to close to you. But, thanks for the compliment.

I'm in my fifties, disabled and incapable of running (ANYWHERE) But, I'm sure as hell not going see myself as an automatic loser in a SD situation! (EVER!) It doesn't matter if I'm facing one BG or 10 BGs; I still refuse to right off my chances as "hopeless.

(Btw, 30 years ago there was a bar in Millington, TN where you could find about a dozen Marines to testify to what I'm telling you is truth.)

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

It doesn't take a Chuck Norris to learn a few moves that you can use should you have a lapse in your SA and let a BG or two get to close to you. But, thanks for the compliment.

I'm in my fifties, disabled and incapable of running (ANYWHERE) But, I'm sure as hell not going see myself as an automatic loser in a SD situation! (EVER!) It doesn't matter if I'm facing one BG or 10 BGs; I still refuse to right off my chances as "hopeless.

(Btw, 30 years ago there was a bar in Millington, TN where you could find about a dozen Marines to testify to what I'm telling you is truth.)

-
    I agree with you and have faith in my own skills, even as yourself being disabled my fight or flight response always have arguments with each other.
    ~
    The OP was about advise being given to untrained, unarmed, pedestrian type individuals caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Those people who are going to not stand up against someone or don't have the ability to do so like our children in gun free zones. Target rich environments where even a miss ends up hitting someone.
    ~
    I was taught from a young age that the best defense is a swift and unannounced offense. Just sayin'.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Ok Chuck Norris.

-
    I'm not dissing martial arts in general or your particular skill level. I'm a brown belt in Marine Corps Martial Arts. However, running straight at 4 attackers armed with knives and crowbars when I'm unarmed is still not something I would do. I agree you shouldn't ever give up in a fight for your life, I'm just saying, I was the one armed, and I had a gun already in my hand and somebody came running at me....they wouldn't be leaving that fight.

And c'mon? Your source are Marines in a bar? I'll bet everyone also killed 5 people with their bare hands at the same time while overseas. Everybody got war stories in a bar.

I'm not dissing martial arts in general or your particular skill level. I'm a brown belt in Marine Corps Martial Arts. However, running straight at 4 attackers armed with knives and crowbars when I'm unarmed is still not something I would do. I agree you shouldn't ever give up in a fight for your life, I'm just saying, I was the one armed, and I had a gun already in my hand and somebody came running at me....they wouldn't be leaving that fight.

And c'mon? Your source are Marines in a bar? I'll bet everyone also killed 5 people with their bare hands at the same time while overseas. Everybody got war stories in a bar.
    I was NOT running towards them. They ran at me. I had nowhere to go. I tried to get in my car but couldn't. No choice but to fight or get cut & beat.

-

-

Can't resist adding $0.02 at this time; Had a Chief during my enlistment that told me there is one difference between fairy tales and sea stories.
    ~
    A fairy tail starts "once upon a time"
    ~
    A sea story starts "this ain't no sh!t"
    ~
    And this ain't no sh!t!
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12