Open carry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Open carry

  1. Open carry

    Mississippi now has open carry, you do not have to have a permit, if you wish to carry concealed, then you must have a permit.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Good for them, hopefully one day we will have open carry in Florida

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    From up in PA, welcome to the open carry without a permit club MS.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  5. #4
    I have no problem with open carry.with that being said I've seen what sometimes happens when uneducated people(or for that matter educated people who use it to push there agenda)panic when they see a handgun and cause mass hysteria over literally nothing.AGGRAVATING!!!!!!!

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Burtboomer View Post
    I have no problem with open carry.with that being said I've seen what sometimes happens when uneducated people(or for that matter educated people who use it to push there agenda)panic when they see a handgun and cause mass hysteria over literally nothing.AGGRAVATING!!!!!!!
    It is hard to determine who you are blaming for the mass hysteria. The people engaged in the perfectly legal carrying of firearms or the people who are becoming hysterical at the sight of the perfectly legal activity?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  7. #6
    This has always confused me...Maybe you all can educate me. I have a CCW, and from the class they told me not to "prone" (I believe that was the term for showing an outline of your pistol under your clothes), or no parts of the gun can be seen. I live in Ohio, which is an open carry state. If I wanted to open carry, does the entire gun have to be visible? What if my shirt fell over the grips, but the barrel was exposed? My point is, what's the difference between open carry and some parts of gun being exposed, and concealed carry and some parts of the gun being exposed?

  8. #7
    Welcome to the forum.
    The term is to PRINT. If you do not have a license to carry in Mi., you can not cover the weapon. Must be seen at all times.
    With a license, there are no restrictions.
    Some states do not allow open carry. The issue of PRINTING has been addressed in Fla. If someone sees the gun on accident,
    ( like your shirt blowing in the wind ), you're ok.
    Check out the carry maps on this site to see how it is in your state.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
    This has always confused me...Maybe you all can educate me. I have a CCW, and from the class they told me not to "prone" (I believe that was the term for showing an outline of your pistol under your clothes), or no parts of the gun can be seen. I live in Ohio, which is an open carry state. If I wanted to open carry, does the entire gun have to be visible? What if my shirt fell over the grips, but the barrel was exposed? My point is, what's the difference between open carry and some parts of gun being exposed, and concealed carry and some parts of the gun being exposed?
    If enough of the gun is visible so that average Joe Citizen can look at it and say, "That is a gun right there" then it is open carry. There is no such thing as "partial concealment" in Ohio. Since Ohio is a state where open carry is legal, and since you also have your CCW permit, it is legal to carry your gun any way from 100% visible to 100% concealed. It is legal to switch between the two. The only thing you have to be careful about is intentionally showing your gun in order to intimidate people. Sometimes we hear stories of people who say, "This guy looked scary to me, so I 'accidentally' let my shirt ride up or my jacket to 'blow' open so he saw my gun." That is very grey in the law as to whether you threatened them with the gun. That's why if you want them to be deterred by your gun, just open carry it and be done with it.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    If enough of the gun is visible so that average Joe Citizen can look at it and say, "That is a gun right there" then it is open carry. There is no such thing as "partial concealment" in Ohio. Since Ohio is a state where open carry is legal, and since you also have your CCW permit, it is legal to carry your gun any way from 100% visible to 100% concealed. It is legal to switch between the two. The only thing you have to be careful about is intentionally showing your gun in order to intimidate people. Sometimes we hear stories of people who say, "This guy looked scary to me, so I 'accidentally' let my shirt ride up or my jacket to 'blow' open so he saw my gun." That is very grey in the law as to whether you threatened them with the gun. That's why if you want them to be deterred by your gun, just open carry it and be done with it.
    Bold text would qualify for brandishing in many states, I believe mine included (AR).
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

  11. #10
    Thanks guys. I have had my CCW for 3.5 years now, but have always been concerned if my gun is accidently exposed or prints. Due to Ohio being an open carry, I shoudn't be too concerned. I don't plan to open carry and cause panic everywhere I go.

    BTW - for any of you looking for 5.56 ammo, I just picked up a box of 1000 at Walmart last night for $447. It's Federal 62 grain! I'm assuming most Walmarts across the US probably have some now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast