XDs vs. Shield
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XDs vs. Shield

XDs vs. Shield

I've been looking for a new carry gun, something slimmer than my revolver. I've tried a bunch and have narrowed it down to the Springfield XDs and Smith and Wesson M&P Shield (both in 9mm), but now I'm stuck. I'm accurate with both, they are both thin enough to conceal... I'm not a huge fan of having a thumb safety since I generally carry the revolver a lot which doesn't have one. The Shield was a little snappier and I could feel it in my wrist eventually, but the XDs has that odd texturing and after 30 rounds or so I could feel it imprinting in my hand! A little bit ouch... not much. I imagine it would get very uncomfortable after a while... but then probably so would my wrist with the Shield. Both are things I can deal with in a thin carry gun... And they'll both allow me to practice plenty. Maybe the Shield I could carry with the safety off? Maybe getting weight lifting gloves will provide enough cushioning to let me practice without temporarily tattooing my hand? My hand being uncomfortable with the XDs was more noticeable than my wrist with the Shield.

Need some debate to help me decide! The only one I have to debate with around here is a six year old, and he won't help much.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

3. XDs vs. Shield

Traded my XDs, and $100, for the Shield. Both are reliable but I prefer the feel of the S&W. you can't go wrong with either. The guy I traded just sent his XDs in for the recall, my Shield isn't having the trigger issue I've been reading about. Goo luck.

My two cents

I'm not a fan of Tupperware guns but.......why not a glock, tried true and proven. And from a gunsmith point of view, simple and few parts.

If it was I , I'd look and a 1911. It doesn't get much thinner than a 1911.

As for your two picks, xd is nice but m&p does not have grip safety , I would go with fewer parts.
    Also, the m&p is a close glock copy.
    Some do not like the xd, they say it sits too high in the hand.

I have a Shield in .40 S&W and I like it very much. It has the same "flipper" type trigger as my full size M&P, which has no thumb safety. Over the years, I've mostly carried 1911 variations cocked and locked so I am accustomed to sweeping the safety off but I would feel safe carrying the Shield with the thumb safety off.

Quote Originally Posted by trailboss View Post
    My two cents

I'm not a fan of Tupperware guns but.......why not a glock, tried true and proven. And from a gunsmith point of view, simple and few parts.

If it was I , I'd look and a 1911. It doesn't get much thinner than a 1911.

As for your two picks, xd is nice but m&p does not have grip safety , I would go with fewer parts.
    Also, the m&p is a close glock copy.
    Some do not like the xd, they say it sits too high in the hand.
    No Glocks... I've tried several (because everyone keeps saying "Try the Glock!), they all fit in my hand weird, and I'm not nearly as accurate. Love the gun, just not gonna work for me. I have these itty bitty narrow hands and crazy long fingers... the XDs and Shield fit best, felt comfortable and I shot straight, even though the XDs had a broken front sight (missing the fiber thing). I actually kind of like the grip safety... it's a safety I don't have to think about (unlike the thumb safety on the Shield), but I get the point about the fewer moving parts the better.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

ezkl2230 Guest
    XD-S. Many find that talon grips or another after market grip can alleviate the problem with the aggressive grips -see Hickock45's second video review of the XDS after he installed the talons:

The combination of the back strap safety and safety trigger are hard to beat.

Oh, and I can reach the magazine release on the Shield without moving my hand at all, but not quite on the XDs. Not a huge thing, but...
    Modern Whig

Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    XD-S. Many find that talon grips or another after market grip can alleviate the problem with the aggressive grips -see Hickock45's second video review of the XDS after he installed the talons:
    The combination of the back strap safety and safety trigger are hard to beat.
    Wow, that does look a lot better! And yeah... I do love that the XDs has two safeties, and they both work without me thinking about them.
    Modern Whig

10. I don't make a practice of putting down anyone else's gun choices much (except for that crappy $350 Smith and Wesson in .40, ugh...) -- because with some exceptions, you can choose guns like you choose your car -- get what fits you. I will however, brag a little about my XD. I carry daily a Springfield XD .45 with 4" barrel, open or concealed. It's a big gun, and there's days I wish I had something smaller, but it's always been easy to keep clean and use on the range. I've dry-fired and practiced enough that I'm confident it'll be a good tool if I need it for anything more than that.

Of course, I understand you're asking about the sub-compact version, and a different caliber, and I wish you luck in your quest.

ezkl2230 Guest
    BTW - take a moment to see the XD-S v Shield video as well. The long range shooting test (starts at about the 7:50 mark) shows a HUGE difference between the capabilities of two firearms.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast