Blind and carrying a gun.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blind and carrying a gun....

There is a wide range of “blind”. Keep in mind that the legal definition of blind does not mean that you can not see.

My mother still passed the eye exam for her driving license and drove every day for several years after she was declared “legally blind”.

I have no problems with somebody who is “blind” having a gun or a permit to carry it.

We are a forum of people that have seemingly believed in the rights of Americans... not some Americans, ALL Americans. How dare anyone in this forum say someone should not be able to carry a firearm. You really think if someone tried to attack a blind person and they were within hands reach of that person, he/she couldn't un-holster and fire?

I'm actually quite ashamed at some of the comments I've seen in this thread.

Also, you know the little chamber indicators, the ones that stick out. I had read somewhere (and no I don't have the article.. .if someone does, please post) that CA mandated the chamber indicator specifically for the visually impaired. Also, to be "blind" in this country doesn't necessarily mean they cannot see even with corrective lenses. One can be legally blind and still have corrected vision.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    We are a forum of people that have seemingly believed in the rights of Americans... not some Americans, ALL Americans. How dare anyone in this forum say someone should not be able to carry a firearm. You really think if someone tried to attack a blind person and they were within hands reach of that person, he/she couldn't un-holster and fire?

I'm actually quite ashamed at some of the comments I've seen in this thread.

Also, you know the little chamber indicators, the ones that stick out. I had read somewhere (and no I don't have the article.. .if someone does, please post) that CA mandated the chamber indicator specifically for the visually impaired. Also, to be "blind" in this country doesn't necessarily mean they cannot see even with corrective lenses. One can be legally blind and still have corrected vision.
    You were doing great until you used a decision from Kommifornia to bolster your argument... Just sayin'... :-)
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

I could not support the idea of someone who is really, totally blind from using a firearm for self defense.
    The difference between being legally blind & totally blind should be obvious.
    Owning them is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    You were doing great until you used a decision from Kommifornia to bolster your argument... Just sayin'... :-)
    So you think a chamber indicator isn't a beneficial addition to some firearms? So you are in a low light, no light situation... adrenaline pumping because some arse-face just shot at you, you changed mags, and aren't sure if you've racked the slide. You don't want to give away your position by turning on the flashlight, you don't want to rack again for fear of losing a precious round or for making a sound to give away your cover. So you brush your finger over the chamber indicator and you know exactly whether one is chambered or not. Just because CA mandated doesn't mean that it is a bad thing. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again. Yes, pun intended.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    I could not support the idea of someone who is really, totally blind from using a firearm for self defense.
    The difference between being legally blind & totally blind should be obvious.
    Owning them is another story.
    So who gets to decide which of our citizenry gets to exercise their rights and who is denied them? I certainly hope it is not you.

You really think that George Zimmerman used his eye sight to defend himself when TM was straddling him and pummeling his face into the ground? I think not. I guarantee you, had GZ been blind and just point-shooted as is obvious that GZ had to do, that the news media (if it got covered) would have been praising GZ instead.

I cannot take credit for the above argument. Bluesstringer, from a similar thread that is happening simultaneously, came up with that argument.

Here is his post:
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I had several friends in high school who were blind. Our school was the only one in the District that had a whole program for them. One of those high school friends was a young lady who sang like an angel. Another was a kid I'd known since grade school because his brother was in my same grade and we hung out quite a bit comin' up. That kid was a heckuva drummer, but not only on his kit. He could sit down at a kit and "flick" the heads and cymbals with his fingers to figure out how the kit was set up, and then play like he was on his own kit in just a minute or two. Out of the many garage bands that came out of our 6,000-student-body high school every year, he was among the most sought-after drummer.

Anyway, they came to that school with skills that were really quite remarkable. The walk-ways around the campus were very wide with large brick planters interspersed around in no discernible logical order. Add to those obstacles a bunch of trash cans, a skateboard that might just be left while its owner is talking to friends or whatever, and during period-changes, hundreds of people walking in every conceivable direction. Lorita, the blind girl, did use a cane in one hand, but like Bob, the blind drummer who didn't use a cane, would walk around snapping their fingers (lightly) and could walk around any obstacle just like they could see as good as you or I. It was a kind of developed sonar. Their ears had so completely compensated for the lack of vision that they could discern the amount of time an echo or reverberation returned to tell them what was in front of them. Well, maybe not "what" was in front of them, but that there was indeed a significant obstacle there.

For all those thinking this is just a ridiculous idea, did George Zimmerman aim before he fired? Could he see his target clearly? He simply felt the pain and helplessness of being mounted by an attacker in the dark, and managed to draw his weapon and fire into him, even thinking when it was over that he missed him and that he gave up only because the shot let him know his victim had a gun (or at least that was GZ's story). But just think about being a fight for your life. How much do you actually see, and how much natural point-and-shoot do most people actually engage in?

I have a couple of concerns about blind folk having guns, but I don't have a flat-out, knee-jerk objection to the idea. If they can be illegally attacked, they have the right to defend themselves. They would also have the responsibility to account for any harm a stray bullet might cause just like the rest of us. I've spent a ton of time with just normal folk who happen to be blind, and have witnessed them accomplish remarkable things, from skiing to surfing, so I can't consider their challenges so debilitating as to justify taking their rights of self defense away from them.

Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    We are a forum of people that have seemingly believed in the rights of Americans... not some Americans, ALL Americans. How dare anyone in this forum say someone should not be able to carry a firearm.
    OK, this is the second thread for this article. I disagree with this portion of your post, but didn't think about it untill I was responding in the other thread. There are some with disabilities that should definitely not carry firearms for self defense. The blind are definitely not on that list, as their situational awareness is exponentially better than any of us sighted people. The ones I mentioned in the other thread are those with an affliction that effects their decision making ability or their ability to control their physical movements. My sister has Downs Syndrome, and I have taken her shooting where she did well and had a blast. I would not trust her to make the proper decision on whether or not to take someones life. I have also been met people with MS that could properly make that decision, but would have trouble hitting their target without possibly harming others. Cerebral Palsy, Autism etc. There are many examples of people who should not carry guns for self defense.
    -
    That said, if they are afflicted to the point that they could not safely defend themselves, they would (hopefully) never be in the position where they were left alone and forced to.
    Chief

9. Sorry about the second thread on the topic. I am in a very different time zone on deployment and even though the time stamps may not indicate, our two threads were started very close to the same time.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2E...e_gdata_player

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    OK, this is the second thread for this article. I disagree with this portion of your post, but didn't think about it untill I was responding in the other thread. There are some with disabilities that should definitely not carry firearms for self defense. The blind are definitely not on that list, as their situational awareness is exponentially better than any of us sighted people. The ones I mentioned in the other thread are those with an affliction that effects their decision making ability or their ability to control their physical movements. My sister has Downs Syndrome, and I have taken her shooting where she did well and had a blast. I would not trust her to make the proper decision on whether or not to take someones life. I have also been met people with MS that could properly make that decision, but would have trouble hitting their target without possibly harming others. Cerebral Palsy, Autism etc. There are many examples of people who should not carry guns for self defense.
    -
    That said, if they are afflicted to the point that they could not safely defend themselves, they would (hopefully) never be in the position where they were left alone and forced to.
    And if you are the one that is taking care of her, YOU get to make that call... NOT the federal government.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast