Blind and carrying a gun.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blind and carrying a gun....

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    And if you are the one that is taking care of her, YOU get to make that call... NOT the federal government.
    I agree, the government tends to throw a blanket over whole groups of people and treats them the same. When anyone else does that it is called racist, sexist or something similar describing discrimination. My answer was to your blanket statement "How dare anyone in this forum say someone should not be able to carry a firearm." and did not address who should be the one to make that call. We're on the same page here, but I am not fond of that many blanket statements.
    Chief

I don't know what it's like to be blind nor do I want to find out. If I was and someone was to break into to my home I would want to defend myself. Has a blind person ever shot anyone in self defense or in any other matter? I have never heard of any case.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    So you think a chamber indicator isn't a beneficial addition to some firearms? So you are in a low light, no light situation... adrenaline pumping because some arse-face just shot at you, you changed mags, and aren't sure if you've racked the slide. You don't want to give away your position by turning on the flashlight, you don't want to rack again for fear of losing a precious round or for making a sound to give away your cover. So you brush your finger over the chamber indicator and you know exactly whether one is chambered or not. Just because CA mandated doesn't mean that it is a bad thing. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again. Yes, pun intended.
    I guess you didn't see the :-)???
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

I think after reading some of the arguments for and against, I'd like to change my mind, up to a point. I can see a woman, even completely blind, in an up-close confrontation being able to shoot an attacker. I mean, at that point, you can tell the good guys from the bad guys. And frankly, that's probably her best bet for protection. A knife, no. Taser, probably not. Pepper spray, nah. Calling 911? We all know what they say about that.
    I also have watched some videos of blind shooters at ranges where the targets make pinging noises and the shooters are able to hit them, some very well.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

My friend is a Blind Photographer. He would like to have a gun for protection but his wife is completely against it.
    His vision is limited to a pin hole area in one eye. We have been on cruises with them, out to dinner and the mall. You would never know he was blind unless you really watched him.
    He has MS. This is what took his vision. I feel he could handle a gun safely, and if he felt he couldn't I believe he would turn it in or over to his wife.
    He took his own DL away when he realized he was unfit to drive.

Blind Eyes Photography - Home
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

7. My son is legally blind. But he can make out shapes and shadows. He would not have any trouble hitting a bad guy coming at him, he deserves to be able to protect himself, as much as anyone elsshapes

Sent from my Nexus 7 using USA Carry mobile app

Ray seems to be able to handle it well !

Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    I guess you didn't see the :-)???
    Sorry K7lvo... there are a lot of so-called Patriots in this thread that seem that denying someone their rights is ok, if they think it is ok. I've been a bit steamed in this thread trying to defend the 2A for all of the citizenry. We're cool. :-)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Sorry about the second thread on the topic. I am in a very different time zone on deployment and even though the time stamps may not indicate, our two threads were started very close to the same time.
    That's cool... there are actually three threads on this.... lol.

It was obvious that none of the OP's could have realized that the others had posted.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    I could not support the idea of someone who is really, totally blind from using a firearm for self defense.
    The difference between being legally blind & totally blind should be obvious.
    Owning them is another story.
    If someone is totally blind and on their own they will have a walking stick to help in guiding them through public places. Most foldable guide sticks are about 5 feet long and would act as a good point of reference if used quite proficiently by a blind person (as they are capable of doing) to locate and direct line of fire for self defense. Blind persons remaining senses become more attuned over time and develop in such a manner than physicians can't really explain what blind people are capable without being able to see.
    ~
    Our refusing the blind the ability to carry, is just like the anti's saying that we as gun owners/carriers don't need this or we don't need that just because they personally aren't willing to accept the idea of it.
    ~
    We can not and should not ever isolate any group of persons from exercising their rights under the law until they are proven unfit to do so. Gee, I guess you might refer to that kinda like "due process", after all they are entitled to it just like we are entitled.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast