Blind and carrying a gun.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Blind and carrying a gun....

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    My friend is a Blind Photographer. He would like to have a gun for protection but his wife is completely against it.
    His vision is limited to a pin hole area in one eye. We have been on cruises with them, out to dinner and the mall. You would never know he was blind unless you really watched him.
    He has MS. This is what took his vision. I feel he could handle a gun safely, and if he felt he couldn't I believe he would turn it in or over to his wife.
    He took his own DL away when he realized he was unfit to drive.

Blind Eyes Photography - Home
    Kramer, part of your post rings so true I had to answer.
    ~
    People with sever disabilities seem to be better and more willing to acknowledge their limitations and give up something that could harm others, because that is the last thing they would ever want to do.
    ~
    It is a shame that the rest of society couldn't be as attuned and understand when they shouldn't be doing stuff that could and will harm others.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    Kramer, part of your post rings so true I had to answer.
    ~
    People with sever disabilities seem to be better and more willing to acknowledge their limitations and give up something that could harm others, because that is the last thing they would ever want to do.
    ~
    It is a shame that the rest of society couldn't be as attuned and understand when they shouldn't be doing stuff that could and will harm others.
    100% Agree. It was hard for me to digest "Giving up my license". My license is like my gun. Pry it from my cold dead hands. But as you said, He didn't want anyone to get hurt.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

4. My younger Son is legally blind(vs profoundly blind) meaning he can't read print, drive on the highway, or other "normal activities". Given the right conditions of light and contrast, he can put 6 shots from his S&W K38 fitted with CrimsonTrace grips on a dinner plate @21'. Using a shotgun at a choke point in his apartment, no one would pass even in total darkness(actually this would give him the advantage).
    I've spent a lot of time with this visually impaired person and can vouch for the hearing acuity and spatial awareness which at least some blind people have developed.

5. All people who carry have limitations on how far they should attempt to shoot at a target (legal ramifications aside). For every gun I have which I would carry I know the distance at which I am confident of hitting a 2.5 inch circle and am not likely to take a shot much further than that.
    A visually challenged person has a much shorter confidence range - depending on their level of sight. Even if the range is "contact" that is a valid range to carry a gun for.
    A buddy of mine was instructing indigenous troops on firearms marksmanship and was not given time to properly train on handgun marksmanship - even though handguns were issued. He instructed them to only use handguns when they could put the muzzle against the enemy. So I believe it is a valid method of use.
    I would recommend, in this case, a large bore revolver loaded with heavy, frangible ammo since that would deliver the most energy with the minimum of possbile collateral damage. An automatic might engage the disconnector if pressed against the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    Well, I probably wouldn't go shooting with them. If I was going to their home, I'd probably call in advance.
    Perhaps they've got the right to own a gun, but it sounds like an accident waiting to happen. A potentially fatal accident.
    Hahaha, about going shooting with them!

Have mixed feelings about it. On one side they can use all the protection they can get on the other are some serious complications for them in regards to target acquisition.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

Nice to know that the State of Iowa has joined the asylum, formerly known as the USA, with enthusiasm and stupidity.

I just thought of something.

Most here regard the issuing of permits or licenses to legally bear our arms to be a slap in the face of our rights. If Iowa didn't grant permission slips, no one would be questioning the state giving a permit to a blind man and that blind man may or may not be carrying when you pass him. However, some of you have cast stones supporting the idea that the state should not grant a blind man a permit.

Let's think about that and realize that the 2nd Amendment is for ALL the citizenry.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Shall not be infringed rules. It's all good,Iowa.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234