"3+1"

Thread: "3+1"

1. "3+1"

I was reading about a bolt-action big game rifle and noted the magazine capacity is described as "3+1"...

I fully understand, say, an 8+1 capacity in my 1911. I can rack the slide; chamber a round; and then add another round to the 8-rd magazine...8+1. But how does one add a round to the fixed magazine of a bolt-action rifle when there's already a round in the chamber? Perhaps you could pull the bolt back, add a round, then hold the ammo down against the spring while easing the bolt forward past the rim to avoid a double feed. Is this really practical? Does anyone out there actually do this with their hunting rifles?

Soverign State of Poverty Knob near Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by m444ss View Post
    I was reading about a bolt-action big game rifle and noted the magazine capacity is described as "3+1"...

I fully understand, say, an 8+1 capacity in my 1911. I can rack the slide; chamber a round; and then add another round to the 8-rd magazine...8+1. But how does one add a round to the fixed magazine of a bolt-action rifle when there's already a round in the chamber? Perhaps you could pull the bolt back, add a round, then hold the ammo down against the spring while easing the bolt forward past the rim to avoid a double feed. Is this really practical? Does anyone out there actually do this with their hunting rifles?
    This is quite common with hunting rifles with a fixed magazine, and is performed just as you described. It is practical, and a lot of hunters do it. Not a bad idea to carry the rifle with the safety on if you have a round chambered.
    Let's hear it for Gun Free Zones... Public places where the criminal has a monopoly
    on self defense. - Gary Nelson 2012

Just because it is bolt action does not mean the magazine is fixed. Many models have a removable magazine.

http://www.remington.com/en/product-...ine-clips.aspx
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

5. Why wouldn't this be practical? Depending on your State laws: You carry 5 or 3 in a pump shotgun. 5 in a revolver (for safety). One in the chamber on single shots / double barrels. ~8+ in a lever action rifle. My Weatherby .300 Magnum is a 3+1. The magazine will only hold three of those honkin artillery rounds...so you drop one in the chamber....load three in the magazine....push the stack down in the magazine as you slide the bolt forward.

All firearms should have the safety engaged or in a safe condition when hunting regardless of type.

JJ

Shoot straight...be sure of your target and backstop.