MI school threatens to incite panic and hold education hostage.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MI school threatens to incite panic and hold education hostage....

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    So...remind again why you carry a gun? If it's paranoid to think you might get attacked in the next 5 minutes its paranoid to think you might get attacked at all. If they want to call us crazy let then. The far left and the Brady's already refer to anybody who owns a gun as an extremist anyways. You think giving into to their will is going to change that? Smh..
    The more postings I read from BC1, the fewer places he seems to be in favor of carrying if someone might object to the exercise of the right. Businesses? Uh uh. The parking lot of a business (after all, that is also the property of the business owner, and laws that allow us to secure firearms in our vehicles trample the private property rights of the owner)? Uh uh. Apartment complexes? Uh uh. Schools? Uh uh. Besides, you're not going to really be spending any significant amounts of time in any of these places, so the likelihood that something is going to happen to you while you are transacting your business in one of these places is really quite slim. Your concern amounts to paranoia. So let's just forget the inconvenient fact that shootings and other violent attacks have happened in every one of these places, and let's just remember that the owner/operator has the right to object to the exercise of our right, and we have the right to go somewhere else where they don't object. The common thread here is that the person who has the obligation to make the accommodation, in his view, is A:WAYS the person whose right is explicitly guaranteed under the Constitution - the carrier; the person who objects to the exercise of the right has no obligation to accept our right to carry. There's something fundamentally flawed with that logic.

I get the growing feeling that the only place he is really in favor of carry is in one's own home - unless, of course, a member of your family objects?

3. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    The odds are about one in a trillion. Conceal the damn thing and stop spooking the anti-gunners.
    So, one in a trillion is acceptable odds to not carry a firearm. How about 1 in 2 million? Are those acceptable odds? Unless you live in a bad city/neighborhood/environment, how many times in your life do you think you will be required to use your gun in self defense - for the average American? Do you think once in a lifetime across America might be average? I have not yet had to use my firearm in self defense, and have never been in a situation yet that would require it. I know probably 100 people that have never been in any situation to use a firearm in self defense. So - if we live to be 80 years old, that is 42,076,800 minutes. Now, let's assume as a very overestimate of the length of time that a standard criminal attack lasts requiring the use of a firearm in self-defense as 20 minutes. That means that for any given minute in your life the odds are 1 in over 2 million that you will have need of your firearm. So, it seems like if you are going to play the odds, it's pretty stupid to carry a firearm at all. You must be paranoid. At any given moment in time there is only a 1 in 2 million chance you will need it.

Concealed carry in schools in Michigan is illegal. Only open carry with a permit is. So if it acceptable to just leave the gun in the car because there is little chance of getting shot in school - regardless of the fact that is where most mass murders have occurred in the last decade - than might just as well leave the gun at home everyday in life as well - because there is such little chance of needing it anywhere in every day life.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

The laws are weird a lot of times.
    In VA, with a CWP you can carry concealed on school property as long as you stay in your car.
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    The laws are weird a lot of times.
    In VA, with a CWP you can carry concealed on school property as long as you stay in your car.
    You can do that in Michigan as well. However, that doesn't help you much if you're inside the school meeting with your kid's teacher with your firearm secured in your vehicle because you can't CC inside the building when some nutjob decides to go on a rampage, does it? I have been working to try to get our legislators in Michigan to establish OC/CC parity. If someone can OC with a CPL, then the person who wants to CC should be able to exercise the same right. The ONLY difference is the method of carry, yet the person who chooses to CC is looked upon as a greater risk to public safety than the one who chooses to OC. This makes no sense whatsoever. In fact, from a panic-inducing standpoint, CC clearly leads to less anxiety on behalf of the non-carrying public than OC does.

And no, I'm not trying to jumpstart THAT whole OC/CC debate again.

If you want to talk about odds. I did 21 years in the Army (combat arms branch), and still never had a weapon with a round chambered (except rifle range). Yet I go about getting groceries, and going in my bank locked and loaded with no issues. I've been watching a new show called "Panic 911", and most of the callers waited 10 plus minutes for the police to show up. So when seconds count, call 9 mm, not 911. I have nothing against the police, but they can not be everywhere all the time.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    If you want to talk about odds. I did 21 years in the Army (combat arms branch), and still never had a weapon with a round chambered (except rifle range). Yet I go about getting groceries, and going in my bank locked and loaded with no issues. I've been watching a new show called "Panic 911", and most of the callers waited 10 plus minutes for the police to show up. So when seconds count, call 9 mm, not 911. I have nothing against the police, but they can not be everywhere all the time.
    In Grand Rapids, MI, the average 911 response time is 18 minutes.

8. Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    In Grand Rapids, MI, the average 911 response time is 18 minutes.
    You would think their response time would improve with all the schools calling 911 and going on lockdown all the time in MI :-)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    You would think their response time would improve with all the schools calling 911 and going on lockdown all the time in MI :-)
    Well, thankfully, Clio is actually across the state from us. Grand Rapids schools stick with just calling the police to verify that a carrier is legit (STILL a hassle for those who OC). So far. I hope THEY don't start in on this insane practice, but with the mayor we have here, who is a card carrying member of MAIG who is pushing for legislation to do away with OC in public meetings, schools and churches, you never know how long that's going to last.

Everyone of the people that had anything to do with putting the signs up should be removed from office, but that aint gonna happen. We have places in Florida that try to pre-empt state law all the time and nothing really ever happens to them.

I believe in Iowa, even having a gun in the car in the school parking lot with a permit is a class D felony. They would have immediately put the school in lockdown if that had happened here. I can remember having someone walking around with a long black umbrella a few years back. Someone called it in as someone carrying a rifle and the closest schools got locked down. All the news stations came running with their cameras just to find a man with an umbrella in the end.

Our local high schools have one armed officer on duty for a large school during the school day, but not during the evening activities, and they do what I call lock door, duck & cover drills. That's their answer to the threat of an attack. All doors area supposedly "locked" except one during the day, but anyone can come and go in reality.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast