Best weapon for home Self Defense - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best weapon for home Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    Any shotgun out there is enough. Once an intruder here the gun rack, that should be enough.
    Personally I think the racking of a shotgun is an urban legend. I do not want anyone to know where I am in my locked and secure bedroom. I do not want anyone to know what kind of hell they will go through if they decide to find out what is "behind Door #1". Do you really believe that just hearing the sound is going to make a difference to someone already stealing in your home?

3. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Personally I think the racking of a shotgun is an urban legend. I do not want anyone to know where I am in my locked and secure bedroom. I do not want anyone to know what kind of hell they will go through if they decide to find out what is "behind Door #1". Do you really believe that just hearing the sound is going to make a difference to someone already stealing in your home?
    I have had a shotgun racked on me and it scared the hell out of me. I was trespassing and didnt know it.

Best weapon for home Self Defense

Remington 12 gauge,oo buck shot. Cut barrel down as short as legally can. Economical and gets job done.
    FUNNY HOW PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT THE TRUTH AS LONG AS IT'S WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR

Shotgun with short barrel and a good backup pistol.

6. For guns, I don't think brand matters as much as functional reliability. So some web research, or talk to gunsmiths and vendors about that. As for rounds, I think it depends on your situation. In a little house in the middle of a western ranch, you don't have to worry about the neighbor's kid sleeping on the other side of the wall or hall, so your situation will make a difference and you need to do some research on loads as well. What you anticipate defending against will also make a difference.

In my area there are a lot of home invasions, and homes are all packed close together. I'm also concerned about the fact that literally anybody can buy a swat uniform and body armor on the web, and shout 'Police' when they bust in your door. So I like frangible slugs (it'll knock down even a big guy in a vest) and #1 or #4 buck. Those will find plenty of opportunities to get past armor or hit a moving target. I also like a short barrel, open choke shotgun for 'home' work. And I prefer a pump because in a regular 'burglary' kind of event the sound of you working that slide should chase anyone out of there fast - so you don't have to shoot anyone or take a chance of being shot either - and if they don't run from that you know you need to shoot to 'stop them'. But, as I said, your circumstances may imply different choices.

And just BTW, I've never had to put the theory of my load choices into practice, so I can't swear they are the best options at all. And practice reloading your gun in a big hurry in the dark too. No fumbling and no dropping shells.

7. I have a 12g Mossberg "Chainsaw" shotgun. Not only is this one of the nastiest looking weapons around, but it gives you very easy aim control from a waist-held position. NO ONE, but no one is going to [email protected] with you when faced with this. As to the type of ammo, use 0 or 1 and be absolutely sure that there is no one behind your target or the wall behind them. Check it out:

Great survival shotgun article recommended by jd above. My home defense gun is a Remington 870 Marine Magnum loaded with #1 or #2 buckshot. I live near the ocean and it's what the Coast Guard issues. I've got a couple more barrels so I can use it for skeet and for normal bird hunting. #2 buck will give a less than 7" pattern up to about 10 yards, which is a typical home defense inside engagement distance. At 20 yards it covers a cardboard beer flat with holes. Here's a good discussion of ammo: Home Defense Shotgun Ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich kid View Post
    You might want mention what kind of hacksaw he should use for his barrel modification as well as the minimum legal barrel length for a shotgun. You post this kind of nonsense and then you wonder why I question your intelligence.
    In your own home there is no minimum length, just don't carry it outside or try to use it for hunting. As far as what type of hacksaw... seriously?

And I don't wonder anything about you regarding much of anything especially when your respond with personal mockery rather than add to a thread.

The sawed-off shotgun has proven itself to be an excellent form of home defense for many reasons. If you are unaware of that you could ask for clarification.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    I have had a shotgun racked on me and it scared the hell out of me. I was trespassing and didnt know it.
    You are not a BG who, by definition is a bad guy and probably a felon. If anything scared him he would not have ripped the door off your house or came through a window to rob the heck out of you--or worse to assault you and your wife.

11. Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    In your own home there is no minimum length, just don't carry it outside or try to use it for hunting. As far as what type of hacksaw... seriously?

And I don't wonder anything about you regarding much of anything especially when your respond with personal mockery rather than add to a thread.

The sawed-off shotgun has proven itself to be an excellent form of home defense for many reasons. If you are unaware of that you could ask for clarification.
    Federal law mandates 18" is the shortest a shotgun barrel can be. It doesn't matter if you keep it in your home or not. If you ever get caught going shorter, you're going to prison. That's like telling people it's ok to modify their AR-15's to be full auto as long as they never leave their house with it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast