Best weapon for home Self Defense - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best weapon for home Self Defense

If the invader see's the shotgun he most likely will give up or run. Not many people will mess with a shotgun. If you shoot the shotgun, even if you do not hit him he might die of fright or else give up or run. Shotguns tend to put fear in people. Only an insane invader would continue coming toward a shotgun once he knows you have it.

SBR 5.56. Easy to maneuver. Easy to mount a light and laser (or even an IR rig). MUCH more lethal than any common handgun. Significantly less penetration than 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 12 ga. shotgun projectiles after first penetrating through interior walls. If you can't own an SBR, 14.7 with PA flash hider is still pretty maneuverable indoors.
    Islander's Law: Registration is Preparation for Confiscation

4. Checkout the Mossberg JIC, good weapon at a reasonable price. Mossberg & Sons | 500 JIC

5. I've got a shotgun but its only a double barrel and its full length for skeet shooting, but I wouldn't go to that first for home defense anyways. If I wind up needing my gun at home, I'm going for the Taurus PT111 G2 with 25 rounds of 9mm that will hopefully be more than enough for the job. But if it's not, then I'll be moving along to the heavier artillery, which would be the AR-15 with 10 30-round magazines full and ready to roll. If that doesn't stop them, then I doubt I had a chance to begin with.

As for tactics, I will put the Mrs. in a safe location with the shotgun and a side arm, and then I will be taking the rifle and side arm with me to clear the house. 911 will be called once the threat to myself and my family is gone. Or perhaps I will let the Mrs. be on the phone with them while I'm clearing the house, but only if she can do so while on speakerphone and concentrating on the firearm. I wouldn't want her not to be able to defend herself just because she was fumbling on the phone with the 911 operator.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Federal law mandates 18" is the shortest a shotgun barrel can be. It doesn't matter if you keep it in your home or not. If you ever get caught going shorter, you're going to prison. That's like telling people it's ok to modify their AR-15's to be full auto as long as they never leave their house with it.
    Unless you get the tax stamp, I would agree with you. The post asked for the best firearms for home self-defense. I'm still standing by a short-barreled shotgun for multiple reasons. In close quarters it is much more maneuverable, it does not need a lot of aiming practice, and it is incredible easy to use. IMO.

I also added if he was hell bent on getting something new, I'd go with the KSG or UTS-15 for the extra ammo capacity over most other shotguns.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

7. Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Unless you get the tax stamp, I would agree with you. The post asked for the best firearms for home self-defense. I'm still standing by a short-barreled shotgun for multiple reasons. In close quarters it is much more maneuverable, it does not need a lot of aiming practice, and it is incredible easy to use. IMO.

I also added if he was hell bent on getting something new, I'd go with the KSG or UTS-15 for the extra ammo capacity over most other shotguns.
    I wasn't arguing that a short barreled shotgun doesn't have it's perks. I mean another one is that you generally don't have to worry about penetrating walls and hitting someone in another room. But what I was saying is that to say there is no minimum length is misleading, because the way you stated it, you made it sound as if he could take a hacksaw to his shotgun and cut it as short as he wants as long as he doesn't leave the house. I just wanted to clarify to make sure he didn't wind up in prison for unknowingly breaking the law because of a miscommunication.

Actually, the best weapon for home self defense is the one you have in your hand.
    For me, it would be my EDC, which is either on my person, or when I'm in bed, is within reach.
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

9. I feel comfortable with my tactile rem 870 with a pressure switch light. Loaded next to the bed with 3" shot and some slugs to mix it up. While the pump of it may be intimidating all the BG is gonna hear is a bang

Sent from my SPH-L710 using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I wasn't arguing that a short barreled shotgun doesn't have it's perks. I mean another one is that you generally don't have to worry about penetrating walls and hitting someone in another room. But what I was saying is that to say there is no minimum length is misleading, because the way you stated it, you made it sound as if he could take a hacksaw to his shotgun and cut it as short as he wants as long as he doesn't leave the house. I just wanted to clarify to make sure he didn't wind up in prison for unknowingly breaking the law because of a miscommunication.
    I agree, I should have mentioned going through proper channels to do so. Thanks for the clarification.

I was using a bit of artistic liberty in the way I portrayed one would go about shortening the barrel properly. However, I have seen someone use a chair leg for a grip on the forend. It worked quite nicely.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    SBR 5.56. Easy to maneuver. Easy to mount a light and laser (or even an IR rig). MUCH more lethal than any common handgun. Significantly less penetration than 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 12 ga. shotgun projectiles after first penetrating through interior walls. If you can't own an SBR, 14.7 with PA flash hider is still pretty maneuverable indoors.
    If you want to go this route, go shorter and acquire a AR15 platform pistol, that will relieve you of the need to get the needed NFA paperwork for a SBR.
    ~
    There are a number of manufactures that produce this format, in a number of calibers 5.56X45, 7.62X39, .308 Win just to name a few.
    ~
    Most of these will also cost you less than just about any SBR available, usually right at a grand. My SGM9 is right there if I need it, but I also don't need to worry about neighbors, I live in the country away from the so called civilization. lol
    ~
    There you have your trip into fantasy firearms that just aren't necessary to protect your home when a $200 shotgun with a minimal barrel, open choke, loaded with buckshot will handle the reticent criminal that wishes to be stupid on your property.
    ~
    PS. 20 gauge and .410 gauge shotguns will provide the same protection and will be easier to control when fired. Once you buy make sure to practice and be comfortable with discharging the weapon so there is less surprise when it goes off your adrenaline will be running high enough as it is.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast