Best weapon for home Self Defense - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best weapon for home Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    If you want to go this route, go shorter and acquire a AR15 platform pistol, that will relieve you of the need to get the needed NFA paperwork for a SBR.
    ~
    There are a number of manufactures that produce this format, in a number of calibers 5.56X45, 7.62X39, .308 Win just to name a few.
    ~
    Most of these will also cost you less than just about any SBR available, usually right at a grand. My SGM9 is right there if I need it, but I also don't need to worry about neighbors, I live in the country away from the so called civilization. lol
    ~
    There you have your trip into fantasy firearms that just aren't necessary to protect your home when a $200 shotgun with a minimal barrel, open choke, loaded with buckshot will handle the reticent criminal that wishes to be stupid on your property.
    ~
    PS. 20 gauge and .410 gauge shotguns will provide the same protection and will be easier to control when fired. Once you buy make sure to practice and be comfortable with discharging the weapon so there is less surprise when it goes off your adrenaline will be running high enough as it is.
    True! I recommended the AR platform because of the reduced lethality to bystanders in other rooms of the house over a 12-gauge and the other mentioned firearms, and because you have 30+ rounds at your disposal. If you live alone, in a house, in the country, 12 gauge buckshot is just fine, but a $200 shotgun will probably be a double barrel. That's two rounds, which for me personally is not enough for home defense. A nice 870 with 8 rounds and birdshot is probably safe and effective. Just remember, you still have to point the weapon at the bad guy. The shotgun will not spread out 10+ inches at home defense range. You have to "aim" it like any other weapon. AR or shotgun, at 10 feet, point and shoot works equally well.
    Islander's Law: Registration is Preparation for Confiscation

If you want to go the shotgun route. A nice alternative to those mentioned. One of the shotguns based on the AK-47, 74. Saiga and VEPR (Molont) are the most common. Get the shortest legal barrel and a folding stock that will allow firing when folded. I rather suggest a well performing muzzle brake as well. If you permanently attach the brake, then the overall barrel length limit will include the brake. This is probably the shortest and most functional shotgun you can have without needing a tax stamp. Magazines (AKA, AK) allow a nice range of ammunition capacity. Be aware that there are "US parts" requirements for these guns. Make sure you understand and deal with these requirements.

Also keep in mind that a 12 gauge has a rather significant recoil (hence the muzzle brake) and makes your ears bleed worse than a smaller handgun.

Personally, I think a good handgun is a better first response. It is easy to keep by the bed/couch, etc. It is also far easier to wield in the house environment with minimal self exposure. At least 9mm and a big mag. Done properly you will have more rounds to fire than anything other than a drum mag on the shotgun. And I have the feeling that drums are on the iffy side of reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    True! I recommended the AR platform because of the reduced lethality to bystanders in other rooms of the house over a 12-gauge and the other mentioned firearms, and because you have 30+ rounds at your disposal. If you live alone, in a house, in the country, 12 gauge buckshot is just fine, but a $200 shotgun will probably be a double barrel. That's two rounds, which for me personally is not enough for home defense. A nice 870 with 8 rounds and birdshot is probably safe and effective. Just remember, you still have to point the weapon at the bad guy. The shotgun will not spread out 10+ inches at home defense range. You have to "aim" it like any other weapon. AR or shotgun, at 10 feet, point and shoot works equally well.
    Here are some links for guns that will provide a pump shotgun around $200;
    ~
    Pump
    H&R 1871® Pardner Protector Shotgun | Bass Pro Shops

ASI PUMP ACTION PASI1 12GA 18.5 BLK 5RD $179.00 SHIPS FREE

ASI PUMP ACTION PASIMAX 12GA 18.5 BLK 5RD $199.00 SHIPS FREE

Stevens 19485 320 Security Pump 12 ga 18.5" Pistol Grip Finish for Sale from Firearms For You

~

Double barrel
    Stoeger® 12 Gauge Coach Gun Side by Side Shotgun | Bass Pro Shops

~
    The double barrel is more than $200 as you will notice, just say'in.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

I previously posted a suggestion for the AK-47,74 platform for shotguns. I failed to explain they are expensive. Maybe they will become more rational after the feeding frenzy caused by our government. But they are reliable, very effective, and can have reasonable capacity mags attached. It is also fairly simple to add things such as lasers and lights. They (some more than others) have been gelded for import; but that is fixable.

They represent a fairly awesome firepower. Be aware of all the things that have been said about walls and neighbors. Adjust loads when possible to minimize external impact. You are hurling a lot of high energy chunks of metal around. But in terms of one shot takedown, I suspect they would be difficult to beat when using a slug or 00 shot.

Basically, screw the noise of a pump shotgun being operated. I am not interested in communication with a home invader. I am interested in stopping them. If you must have noise (to sooth some irrational need), leave the bolt open when you place it for easy access. But dust often. A 12gauge firing is difficult to ignore.

My choice - living in a rural small town of 7,000 in a 4plex is a SW Governor with six .410 Winchester PDX4 Defender rounds, with a Taurus Public Defender with five .410 Winchester PDX4 rounds, backed up by a Mossberg 590A1 8+1 shotgun, a Bushmaster AR and a Colt M4 carbine - the last two with 30 round mags. Methinks though that should I ever have need to use it the issue would be resolved in short order by the Governor and the Public Defender. The PDX4 .410 rounds put out three discs surrounded by a dozen shot. One foot diameter pattern at 20 feet with the discs in the middle. Plan is to unload ELEVEN .410 Defender rounds in a fast volley then switch to the Mossberg and ARs immediately after....should anyone still be interested in getting into my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    My choice - living in a rural small town of 7,000 in a 4plex is a SW Governor with six .410 Winchester PDX4 Defender rounds, with a Taurus Public Defender with five .410 Winchester PDX4 rounds, backed up by a Mossberg 590A1 8+1 shotgun, a Bushmaster AR and a Colt M4 carbine - the last two with 30 round mags. Methinks though that should I ever have need to use it the issue would be resolved in short order by the Governor and the Public Defender. The PDX4 .410 rounds put out three discs surrounded by a dozen shot. One foot diameter pattern at 20 feet with the discs in the middle. Plan is to unload ELEVEN .410 Defender rounds in a fast volley then switch to the Mossberg and ARs immediately after....should anyone still be interested in getting into my home.
    I'd be very interested in seeing you use all those firearms at once.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
    I have a Mossburg 500 tactical with a 15 1/2" barrell and folding stock, great for HD. As I live in a condo apartment I use #2 shot.
    Good thinking. Works well in-close and reduces the chance of an innocent getting clipped. I don't have any neighbors within range so I use a little more punch, even a couple slugs in the tube. The only drawback to shotguns is there's a lot of drywall to fix afterwards.
    The blood stains are going to be way more work than a few drywall patches.

10. I believe the ultimate home defense weapon is the Tavor 5.56 NATO. It's overall length is 26" with a 16.5" barrel. It is shorter than a pistol grip shotgun with and 18" barrel, which has a 28" overall length. The Tavor has superior control, maneuverability, 3X the rounds, and has rails for tactical attachments. Best weapon for home Self Defense-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1379853711.950276.jpg

This Mossberg is a very nice tool too.
    http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...-cruiser/51340

Yes, it costs 4X as much as the shotgun, but my families safety is priceless.

Commence the flames...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images Attached Images Best weapon for home Self Defense-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1379854064.524620.jpg 

I believe a handgun such as the Bersa Thunder .380 which is 7+1 is an excellent home defense. Unless three or four people break in I believe 7+1 is enough rounds and you can get 9+1 mags for them also. It has a 3.5 barrel and feels like a real gun, is dependable, accurate and easy to shoot.
    Load it with good defense ammo and it will do well. I know many people want a larger caliber but a .380 at close range is a good weapon, does not have a lot of recoil.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast