What is a decent rifle for a first time uses? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a decent rifle for a first time uses?

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    No way. Horrible idea. Where are you going to get a reliable hunting round that is big enough to take down a moose?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Many Nagants were re-calibered in a .30-'06 round. Plenty of take down for a moose.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Many Nagants were re-calibered in a .30-'06 round. Plenty of take down for a moose.
    The "cheap" mosin nagants aren't the rebarreled ones. They are the ones with the bore of .311-.312 while the bullets that are suitable for large game are .308 if you are reloading for 7.62x54r.

Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

What is a decent rifle for a first time uses?

Much of this is subjective and personal preference. Personally I would focus on the deer. We have moose here in Colorado, but it requires like 12 preference points and is a once in a life time hunt. So what I did was buy .308. I purchased this for deer and elk because I can get tags for these animals every year.

.308 and 30-06 are close is size and price. There are some differences that some people prefer over other differences. Go to some gun shops and get their thoughts

5. If really inexperienced a .22 lr or .22mag so that he can learn good marksmanship skills with fewer bad habits due to recoil and / or noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider-3 View Post
    Much of this is subjective and personal preference. Personally I would focus on the deer. We have moose here in Colorado, but it requires like 12 preference points and is a once in a life time hunt. So what I did was buy .308. I purchased this for deer and elk because I can get tags for these animals every year.

.308 and 30-06 are close is size and price. There are some differences that some people prefer over other differences. Go to some gun shops and get their thoughts
    I would agree with you on that caliber for the deer and elk in CO, however in PA, they are a bit smaller and a younger inexperienced hunter might prefer a .243 which is plenty of firearm for the deer here.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    The "cheap" mosin nagants aren't the rebarreled ones. They are the ones with the bore of .311-.312 while the bullets that are suitable for large game are .308 if you are reloading for 7.62x54r.

There are soft point rounds made for the 7.62X54R. S&B makes them as does PPU. The PPU being the more accurate.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

A .22 is a great first rifle. Ruger 10-22 is a classic. Reliable and accurate.

I particularly enjoy. 17HMR. I recently bought a Henry varmint express that is a real hoot to shoot. Its a lever action. For me, that adds to the fun.

No matter what you buy him, it will probably be a gateway gun that starts an expensive addiction.

-SF

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I guess that I might as well add an opinion. The tried and true Remington model 700 with either wood or synthetic stock and a 3- 9 power scope should be ideal. The .270 Winchester or 30-06 Springfield are adequate for most North American big game, except perhaps grizley bears. The rifles and ammo are moderately priced. The recoil is not too unpleasant for an average sized male.

A soft point 7.62X54 will take about anything down.

My dad started me out with an old single shot. He wanted to teach me to make the first shot count. It worked. He also taught me when we were deer hunting that if I heard one shot it meant someone got their deer. 2 shots = maybe, 3+ probably no deer. These days I don't think an 18 yr old will be "down" with a single shot but they were very instructive. Besides, I was 12
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast