Choice of .357 Round for SD -Lever Action Rifle ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Choice of .357 Round for SD -Lever Action Rifle ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,810

    Choice of .357 Round for SD -Lever Action Rifle ?

    Between the 357 magnum 125gr & 158gr SJHP fired from a lever action rifle, which round would you choose for self-defense purposes? Reason for your choice? Also, I've read Chuck Hawks say that the 125 or lighter grain round is a poor choice for SD in a lever rifle because of the possibility of the round becoming frangible at the higher rifle velocity. Has anyone had this experience firing the 125 or lighter grain round from a rifle?
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

  2.   
  3. #2

    Choice of .357 Round for SD -Lever Action Rifle ?

    In not sure what he means by the rounds becoming frangible. There are plenty of guns that fire lighter bullets much faster than a .357 without breaking up. For SD, with a rifle you already have enough velocity for adequate penetration, so I'd go with the heavier bullet. I'd always choose heavy and slow over light and fast for close quarters situations.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,810
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    In not sure what he means by the rounds becoming frangible. There are plenty of guns that fire lighter bullets much faster than a .357 without breaking up. For SD, with a rifle you already have enough velocity for adequate penetration, so I'd go with the heavier bullet. I'd always choose heavy and slow over light and fast for close quarters situations.
    I agree with the heavy and slow. The article stated that it was a possibility that the lighter bullets (HP) would fail to penetrate due to them falling apart/crumbling on impact due to the higher velocity.
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

  5. #4
    How much faster would a bullet be out of a rifle? 100-150fps? I can't see that making much of a difference on the bullet.

    I would go with heavy & slow also.

  6. #5

    Handgun vs. Rifle barrel data

    This is the ballistics for both handgun barrels and rifle barrels on the same ammunition.
    ~
    Results listed on Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place for Winchester USA 110 grain JHP


    Winchester Ammunition Ballistics
    Round___________Type_____Weight___Muzzle Energy ft/lbs._____Muzzle Velocity ft/sec.
    357 Magnum_____ JHP_______110_________410____________________1295


    Results listed on Gun Tests the consumer resource for the serious shooter. for Winchester USA 110 grain JHP

    ACCURACY AND CHRONOGRAPH DATA

    Winchester USA 357***************Henry*****************Cimarron** ***************Chiappa
    110-gr.--JHP*********************Big Boy***************Brush Popper***************1892

    Average Velocity__________________1758 fps. _______________1812 fps.________________ 1807 fps.
    Standard Deviation ________________24 fps._________________26 fps._________________ 17 fps.
    Muzzle Energy____________________755ft.-lbs.______________802 ft.-lbs._______________797 ft-lbs.
    Smallest Group___________________2.0 in.__________________2.5 in.__________________3.0 in.
    Largest Group____________________4.5 in.__________________6.0 in.__________________6.0 in.
    Average Group____________________3.3 in.__________________4.3 in.__________________4.7 in.
    ~
    Gun Tests staff shooters noted no fragmentation of this round tested even with a increase of muzzle velocity of almost 40%, although this is not what they were testing for and may have not looked for it occurring.
    ~
    Hope this give you a better idea of what you are trying to conclude.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115
    Me: 158gr bullets... you've got the barrel length, take advantage of it and use the heavier bullet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

  8. #7
    None of those rifles put out much of a group. Disappointing.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Me: 158gr bullets... you've got the barrel length, take advantage of it and use the heavier bullet.
    I agree with this. I've always been a fan of "heavy and slower" even in handguns.
    Samuel Colt did more for equality in America than any civil rights activist.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,810
    Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    This is the ballistics for both handgun barrels and rifle barrels on the same ammunition.
    ~
    Results listed on Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place for Winchester USA 110 grain JHP


    Winchester Ammunition Ballistics
    Round___________Type_____Weight___Muzzle Energy ft/lbs._____Muzzle Velocity ft/sec.
    357 Magnum_____ JHP_______110_________410____________________1295


    Results listed on Gun Tests the consumer resource for the serious shooter. for Winchester USA 110 grain JHP

    ACCURACY AND CHRONOGRAPH DATA

    Winchester USA 357***************Henry*****************Cimarron** ***************Chiappa
    110-gr.--JHP*********************Big Boy***************Brush Popper***************1892

    Average Velocity__________________1758 fps. _______________1812 fps.________________ 1807 fps.
    Standard Deviation ________________24 fps._________________26 fps._________________ 17 fps.
    Muzzle Energy____________________755ft.-lbs.______________802 ft.-lbs._______________797 ft-lbs.
    Smallest Group___________________2.0 in.__________________2.5 in.__________________3.0 in.
    Largest Group____________________4.5 in.__________________6.0 in.__________________6.0 in.
    Average Group____________________3.3 in.__________________4.3 in.__________________4.7 in.
    ~
    Gun Tests staff shooters noted no fragmentation of this round tested even with a increase of muzzle velocity of almost 40%, although this is not what they were testing for and may have not looked for it occurring.
    ~
    Hope this give you a better idea of what you are trying to conclude.
    Yea, that helps a lot because I've got a ton of Remington 125gr SJHP in storage.
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,810
    Has anyone had any problem shooting the CCI Blazer aluminum case ammo in their lever action rifle? Haven't tried them yet, however, rumor has it that these aluminum cartridges will not eject properly. Thanks.
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast