10mm
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10mm

1. 10mm

Hi
    What Would be advantages and or disadvantages to using a 10mm for your carry gun? Instead of like 9mm,40,or 45acp.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shootest View Post
    Hi
    What Would be advantages and or disadvantages to using a 10mm for your carry gun? Instead of like 9mm,40,or 45acp.
    IMO it depends on what you are most comfortable shooting. If you are most comfortable with a 9mm, then I would use the 9mm. To me, it is better to be accurate and comfortable with a smaller caliber, than uncomfortable and wild with a larger caliber. A 9mm can be just as effective with a well placed shot.

You may want to look into size and weight of the firearm if this an issue for you. If you are a large person with large hands, a small firearm may be awkward for you to use properly. Personally, I say carry what you are comfortable shooting and carrying.

Hope this helps!

~Capo~
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    IMO it depends on what you are most comfortable shooting. If you are most comfortable with a 9mm, then I would use the 9mm. To me, it is better to be accurate and comfortable with a smaller caliber, than uncomfortable and wild with a larger caliber. A 9mm can be just as effective with a well placed shot.

You may want to look into size and weight of the firearm if this an issue for you. If you are a large person with large hands, a small firearm may be awkward for you to use properly. Personally, I say carry what you are comfortable shooting and carrying.

Hope this helps!

~Capo~
    I agree with this.. it's not really about the caliber anymore. so many advances have been made to ammo that high performance should be expected in any caliber. 10mm is pretty much a .40 with extra kick. the bullet gets an extra couple hundred feet per second but the recoil is going to be much more. so it just comes down to what you are comfortable with shooting.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

To answer the question you asked, the 10mm is more of a man stopper than most other conventional personal protection calibers (except perhaps the .45).

As a side note, does anyone know of any manufacturers besides Glock that make a 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    To answer the question you asked, the 10mm is more of a man stopper than most other conventional personal protection calibers (except perhaps the .45).

As a side note, does anyone know of any manufacturers besides Glock that make a 10mm?
    tanfoglio makes a 10mm. EAA witness is the model. 10mm comes with 15 round magazine. if you buy a 10mm or .45 witness you have the option to get a conversion kit also to .22lr, 9mm, .40, 38 super. I have a .45 witness and love it. great gun and well made. I am sure their 10mm is great also.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

I went to gunbroker.com and saw that Smith and Wesson also makes a 10 mm. I've inquired about this caliber at the range, but the local range does not carry anything in that caliber. Also, I've checked the price of 10 mm ammo, and I'd need a second job just to buy ammo. I would like to shoot and maybe own a 10 mm one day.

I Love my 10mm S&W 1076.

The recoil is strong. It is very accurate and easy to shoot. I like to fire it with DT ammo. The 135 Noslar goes 1600 FPS. At that speed you would see the flash but be dead before you heard the sound. At the range people come over to see what's making more noise than their .45s. I don't carry it. Mostly because If I had to go to court they might point out it is suitable for shooting bears. I would trust it for shooting through cover better than most any other round. But I would worry that it may not stop until it hit someone.
    .40S&W Lover

10mm has fallen out of favor for a long time. It was listed as one of the calibers that's considered obsolete and may become a wildcat round. Ammo is scarce and very expensive. If you get a 10mm consider reloading if you don't reload now. Save all your brass. 10mm is one caliber that I don't have in my collection but that doesn't mean that I won't buy one. If I find one at a good price I will add it.

Here is a good read on 10mm. Look especially at the Performance info. Notice it falls between the .357 Magnum and the 41 mag in muzzle energy

10mm Auto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post

Dan Wesson makes a 10mm along with those already listed. It seems to be making a come back, just don't think it will even come close to the 45's popularity.

I don't know but it seems that it is a more rare cal. and therfore could be harder to obtain ammo. 9mm, 45 and perhaps 40 you should be able to get just about anywhere.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast