Taurus Judge Opinions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Judge Opinions

1. Taurus Judge Opinions

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and was wondering what opinions everyone had on the Taurus Judge Public Defender as a home protection pistol. I do not plan to conceal carry it. I also have a High Point 9mm and a Para 1911 .45 but feel the Judge is the best for in home because of the .410 ammo. I look forward to reading your opinions :)

Thanks,

Jim

I wanted a S&W Governor but couldn't find one earlier this year. Found a Taurus Public Defender and bought it. Used it for home defense loaded with .410 rounds. Later did find a S&W Governor and bought it too. So now use them both, in separate parts of the house, for home defense. Both with .410

Here's the pattern of the Winchester PDX4 Defender at 20 feet. Shot from my Taurus Public Defender. The three discs are in the center surrounded by a one foot diameter ring of 12 shot.

The Taurus is a 5 shot .410/.45 Colt revolver. The S&W Governor is a 6 shot .410/.45 Colt/.45ACP revolver. Of the two, I'd prefer the S&W but either are good guns.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by jgiles View Post
    Hello all,

I am new to the forum and was wondering what opinions everyone had on the Taurus Judge Public Defender as a home protection pistol. I do not plan to conceal carry it. I also have a High Point 9mm and a Para 1911 .45 but feel the Judge is the best for in home because of the .410 ammo. I look forward to reading your opinions :)

Thanks,

Jim
    Based on many reviews that I have read including ballistic gel tests, I would only trust the one that handles 3" shells. In every test that I had seen, the smaller shells did not have the penetration necessary to be an effective defensive tool against another human being. Against snakes and other critters, sure, not humans. When the 3" shells were used, the tests showed better penetration.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Howdy,

IMO both are gimmick guns that are designed towards sales instead of being practical and effective.

A .410 buckshot load is marginal against a human when fired from a 26" long shotgun barrel and is almost useless when fired from a short pistol length barrel.

If you want a shotgun for HD, get a shotgun not a pistol that shoots .410 shotgun shells.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

IMO both are gimmick guns that are designed towards sales instead of being practical and effective.

A .410 buckshot load is marginal against a human when fired from a 26" long shotgun barrel and is almost useless when fired from a short pistol length barrel.

If you want a shotgun for HD, get a shotgun not a pistol that shoots .410 shotgun shells.

Paul
    I agree Sten

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

Paul
    +1
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

Gun Tests Results that may help.

August 2012 of Gun Tests Magazine
    ~
    .410 Handguns and Long Guns to Consider for Self Defense

About a year ago, Ray Ordorica compared two handguns chambered for the .410 shotshell, the S&W Governor 45 ACP, 45 LC, 410/2.5-inch, $679; and the Taurus Judge Model 4510TKR-3BUL 45 LC/410 2.5-inch, $620. We learned back then that these handguns performed better with smaller shot. Ray first patterned the Gov at 3 yards, which gave a pattern with Winchester Super-X No. 7.5 shot that fit onto a sheet of 8.5-inch x 11-inch paper. At 5 yards from the muzzle, the pattern with the Governor spread to about 18 inches. This was far superior to what we got with shot loads from the Judge, he reported, which would spread to about a foot at only 3 feet. The same held true with the #4 shot. The Governorís pattern slightly overlapped a sheet of paper with a spotty pattern fired from 9 feet, but at that same range the Judge barely struck the paper. At 15 feet, the pattern differences were astounding. The Smith Governor put all its shot into a 17-inch circle. The Judge put its shot into a 34-inch circle, twice the diameter. The Judgeís pattern had many holes, but the Governorís pattern was even, and quite impressive. The shot shell results very much favored the Smith & Wesson.
    With 000 buck from 20 feet, the results from both guns were spotty. He concluded the maximum range for 000 buck is about 20 feet.
    Our Team Said: The Governor earned a Grade: A mark, followed closely by the Taurus with a B+.
    More on the Judge
    An October 2009 Special Report (that followed up an August 2009 article on the Judge) focused on patterning the Taurus Judge with Nos. 6 and 7.5 shot and with buckshot. The first test of the popular Taurus Judge used No. 4 shot. Using No. 6 and No. 7.5 shot, the pattern density was best with the smallest shot, which had very little of the noted doughnut shape observed with No. 4s. Patterns with No. 7.5s were slightly tighter than with No. 6s. Specifically, at 15 feet they were 28 and 32 inches, respectively.
    We obtained what are perhaps the most interesting results with the use of three-pellet buckshot, by both Winchester and Sellier & Bellot. We also got some Russian five-pellet loads, but they were 2.75 inches long, and could not be fired in our 2.5-inch-chamber Judge. We first tried the S&B loads at 6 feet. To our surprise we got a 3-inch pattern. Moving back to 15 feet, the three pellets had a spread of only 4 inches. At 20 feet they averaged just less than 5 inches.

We then tried the Winchester three-pellet loads at 15 feet, and they gave considerably more recoil and blast, and went into a larger group of just under 7 inches on average. At 20 feet the Winchester buckshot loads went into 8-inch groups on average. We maintain the maximum range for buckshot is 20 feet.
    Our Team Said: We noted a story online that declared the Judge to be a shotgun in your pocket. As we found out, nothing could be further from the truth. We shot the Judge at 6 feet and got a 16-inch pattern. At the same distance a .410 shotgun with slight choke put the entire load into just 4 inches.
    More at .410 Handguns and Long Guns To Consider for Self Defense
    ~
    Personally with the cost of these handguns, I would consider a pistol grip shotgun in 20/410 configuration. Testing has shown that longer barrels will give tighter groups providing a greater punch when used in a HD situation.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Nice to have all that data. I'm sticking with my Governor and Taurus for two reasons. One, maneuverability in my small apartment....I happen to have lots of "stuff" packed in my place right now. Two, if I need to pull the trigger on another person, I'm going to unload all six of the Governor and all five of the Taurus in a barrage of .410 self-defense rounds. I don't know any attacker that wouldn't be impressed by the amount of metal headed at them from such a barrage (about 165 bits)...add the noise factor and the neighbors will think there's a war on and the police response should be much faster. I do have a 590A1 Mossberg but it would be difficult to aim around corners in my cramped place. Will use the Mossberg to investigate the result of the 11 rounds of .410

Smile

I had a Judge, lightweight and sold it, (the only gun I have sold) well it was more of a trade in for a S&W Governor. I don't hear many complaints of any S&W revolver. The action and trigger is much smoother then the Judge. It felt much better to me when shooting it.
    I got the Governor because it is a S&W, it carried one more round and it gave me an additional choice of ammo, the .45 ACP. Overall the fit and finish was much better.
    As far as this gun for home defense I think it would more then suffice. I think it is an excellent "home gun".
    Concerning the debate as to whether or not it is a good choice I think that mixing up the .410 with the .45 LC is the way to go. In that case I think there would be no doubt.
    For instance you can set it up so the the first two shots are .45 LC, for accuracy then 3 rounds of .410 in case you don't aim so well and finally another round of .45LC just to me sure! lol
    Imaging your own scenario and configuration. I think combining those options would take much doubt out of this weapon being a good home defense choice.
    This is not about it being the only or best "home gun" choice but you have a lot of options on how to bring it into action and therefore there is nothing wrong with it.
    For those that want to compare it to other choices that you think are bette,r get back to me after you put the moat in with the Alligators and have trained your Rottie to shoot an AR as a last resort.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast