Do You Feel Comfortable Open Carrying at the Mall?

View Poll Results: Do You Feel Comfortable Open Carrying at the Mall?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 41.18%
  • No

18 52.94%
  • Undecided

2 5.88%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Feel Comfortable Open Carrying at the Mall?

Of course, this is under the assumption that your state allows OC legally without, or in some cases, with a license.

Here is a map, courtesy of Open Carry.Org:

I don't go to the mall... it is filled with either high-end merchandise that I do not need nor want, or teenage female clothing stores. So do I feel uncomfortable carrying openly at the mall? I just feel uncomfortable at the mall period.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I feel comfortable OC'ing everywhere I go. A non issue for me.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

No. Our state is technically legal, but our county's sheriff appears not keen on citizen's carry, and fought against shall carry. No one OC's in our county that I've noticed, at least in city limits, and I'm guessing that's why.

I live in a liberal infested arm pit college town. Not a good idea.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

The only reason I go to the mall here is because they have a really good sushi bar which is located on the outside. So while I never enter the main portion of the mall, I'm comfortable going to the sushi bar.

I'm with wolf fire, malls in general are uncomfortable (which has nothing to do with carrying), and I need nothing from 99% of the stores in them.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Blue View Post

Of course, this is under the assumption that your state allows OC legally without, or in some cases, with a license.

Here is a map, courtesy of Open Carry.Org:

I don't feel comfortable OC'ing, period, mostly for family reasons. I have an autistic son who is nuts about firearms (but cannot safely use them yet); the last thing I need is to be in a shopping center with my son telling everyone in sight, "My dad has a gun!"

As a practical consideration, this map is only partly correct with regard to Michigan. As a state, we are carry friendly, but malls are considered to be private property and can declare themselves to be gun free zones. Woodland Mall, for example, posts itself as weapons free (see item 8):

Do You Feel Comfortable Open Carrying at the Mall?-2012-11-21_15-00-36_268.jpg

Rivertown Crossings, on the other hand, doesn't post itself as gun free, but if they see you carrying a firearm, they will call the police and ask you to leave. They don't mind concealed carry. Michigan law doesn't require a business to post their policy, it merely requires them to make a "reasonable effort" to convey their policy. That can be anything from a sign to an employee telling you.

9. How you carry is a function of how you want to be seen. It also has to reflect a realization how you will be perceived--and how others might act on those perceptions. It is not unreasonable at all for an average citizen to perceive open display of guns as a sign of discomforting narcissism at best and a potential threat at worst, and to resolve any doubt in favor of calling the police. That's especially true what with escalating predictions that terrorists, some American-grown, are certainly going to target soft targets like shopping malls. The non-shooting citizen's position of "better to be safe than sorry" is likely to trump the gun-carrier's rhetoric about demonstrating a constitutional and/or state-law right, at least until things get sorted out.

That is correct, ezkl. The mall near me does not permit weapons of any kind. Too bad. I try not to go.
    Last edited by glockgirl51; 09-28-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Clarification to whom I am replying.

To open carry or not to open carry, that is the question. There are some who are vehemently opposed to OC. I don't get that. Let the OC vs CC debate die out. To each his own.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast