Why?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why?

Why?

Why do many new shooters start out with a .22LR pistol then move up to .32 then .380 then 9mm, then .40 or .45?
    Is it because of advice of seasoned shooters? Or things they read and hear about small calibers not being sufficient?
    Or maybe because Wyatt Earp and company carried .45's?

Also why is it that many who try larger calibers end up using a .380 or 9mm or .38 for concealed carry?

We have the greatest selection of calibers and handguns available to us that there has ever been. But with that comes much bickering about which guns are the most worthwhile.

Could we get by well if every gun manufacturer made only 3 guns in each caliber? Such as full size 9mm, compact 9mm and sub-compact 9mm, but only one make of each of these guns. And in revolvers only made a six inch barrel and a three inch barrel and a two inch barrel in each caliber? Also they would make pocket guns in only .22, .32, and .380 calibers?

I'm sure if cowboys of the old west could see the amount of choices we have in handguns they would be astounded.

Could you get by with less choices?

America, it's about choices.

Capitalism in the modern age, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Could I Get by with one or two guns? Yes, I could but that would take all the fun out of it.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

I have two hands and two feet, 10 fingers and 10 toes, 35+ guns, 8 shotguns, two full auto, what was the question again?

Guns are like tattoos... You can't have just one or two!
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Why do many new shooters start out with a .22LR pistol then move up to .32 then .380 then 9mm, then .40 or .45?
    Is it because of advice of seasoned shooters? Or things they read and hear about small calibers not being sufficient?
    Or maybe because Wyatt Earp and company carried .45's?

Also why is it that many who try larger calibers end up using a .380 or 9mm or .38 for concealed carry?

We have the greatest selection of calibers and handguns available to us that there has ever been. But with that comes much bickering about which guns are the most worthwhile.

Could we get by well if every gun manufacturer made only 3 guns in each caliber? Such as full size 9mm, compact 9mm and sub-compact 9mm, but only one make of each of these guns. And in revolvers only made a six inch barrel and a three inch barrel and a two inch barrel in each caliber? Also they would make pocket guns in only .22, .32, and .380 calibers?

I'm sure if cowboys of the old west could see the amount of choices we have in handguns they would be astounded.

Could you get by with less choices?
    If the cowboys had our choices they would have needed an extra horse to haul all their guns.
    Short answer: YES. Long answer, Why would I? I'm an investment adviser. I teach my clients to diversify.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

Sorry... not setting the downside.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

I don't own a .25ACP, .32ACP, or a .380ACP anything. I do have 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP in semi-autos and .32-20WCF, .32 S&W Long, and 7.62 Nagant in revolvers. I normally concealed carry a .45ACP with the .40S&Ws as alternates. Lack of choices would be boring.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Half a lifetime ago, I started out with a .22 revolver because I could afford to feed it. That translated to lots of practice and improving skill. That old Ruger has lots of bigger brothers now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast