Magtech ammo?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magtech ammo?

Magtech ammo?

I've heard both good things and bad things about it... Since money's tight and I could find it, I bought a few boxes in .357 magnum. I shot around 20 rounds of it (before I got fed up) and about half of them didn't fire! Literally, about every other one... no bang. I switched to a box of Remington and everything went perfectly. Anyone else have any issues with Magtech? Is it worth me trying to shoot the rest, or is it a lost cause?

Oh, and yes, they were stored correctly. Right next to the box of Remington.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

I have every now and again but have never had a problem with it. I did have that problem with seller and bellot .357 out of my 686. My gunsmith replaced the pin on the hammer with a longer one and told me they had hard primers. since then it has always went bang even using the same ammo.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 3gunshooter View Post
    I have every now and again but have never had a problem with it. I did have that problem with seller and bellot .357 out of my 686. My gunsmith replaced the pin on the hammer with a longer one and told me they had hard primers. since then it has always went bang even using the same ammo.
    Interesting. I could definitely tell the primers had been hit, just nothing happened. Maybe I'll try that if issues keep coming up, but the Chiappa Rhino is pretty rare still... I'll wait til there's more gunsmiths that have worked on it!
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

I've run Magtech in .32 S&W Long, .40 ACP, and .45 ACP without problems. There are always some guns that are picky about their ammo and this could be a case.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Seller & Bellot are a sister company of magtech. They do have hard primers, but I've shoot thousands of them in 9mm and .45 and they work great.
    Also herters brass is their other sister company

Runs in Glocks all day long - 9mm, 40 SW, 45 ACP...

Good to know. Rhinos are rather sensitive for revolvers, so could just be it doesn't like it. If I didn't love it sooo much..!
    Modern Whig

Quote Originally Posted by 3gunshooter View Post
    Both S&B and Magtech are made by the same company (CBC?, I think. It's a Brazilian company.) They do have harder primers, but I've never had an issue with Magtech. I've shot probably 8-900 Magtech 9mm through my G-26 and everyone has gone bang. Only shot about 100 of their .357 but still, they all worked.

I've had no problem running Magtech in Glock or Sig semi-auto, nor in S&W revolver.

However, like some have said, some firearms are picky with the ammo that they feed through. This may be the case with you, especially since the Remington worked fine.

I have a .22 conversion for my G23 and in the literature they actually states which .22LR works best and which ones to avoid. So this isn't an uncommon problem.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Magtech ammo?

Personally I've never had a issue.
    FUNNY HOW PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT THE TRUTH AS LONG AS IT'S WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast