Ski season carry

Thread: Ski season carry

Ski season carry

Ski season is fast approaching, and I'm definitely looking forward to it as it's one of maybe three activities that I can actually enjoy while my husband is stationed overseas.

What I'm wondering is about carrying. While skiing seems out of the question... It would be pretty inaccessible and possibly dangerous. I fall maybe once a year but still, it'd have to be one heck of a holster.

The best bet would probably be to leave it in the car, but that just always makes me nervous, especially for when it's over eight hours. There can be a lot of expensive things in a car going skiing, and while I've never heard of a break-in, that's always possible. I've got a NanoVault (NV 200 | GunVault), would that be secure enough? Is there something better that won't break the bank? Or should I just leave it at home? After skiing, I tend to be too tired to go anywhere, but stops for gas are kind of necessary sometimes.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    Ski season is fast approaching, and I'm definitely looking forward to it as it's one of maybe three activities that I can actually enjoy while my husband is stationed overseas.

What I'm wondering is about carrying. While skiing seems out of the question... It would be pretty inaccessible and possibly dangerous. I fall maybe once a year but still, it'd have to be one heck of a holster.

The best bet would probably be to leave it in the car, but that just always makes me nervous, especially for when it's over eight hours. There can be a lot of expensive things in a car going skiing, and while I've never heard of a break-in, that's always possible. I've got a NanoVault (NV 200 | GunVault), would that be secure enough? Is there something better that won't break the bank? Or should I just leave it at home? After skiing, I tend to be too tired to go anywhere, but stops for gas are kind of necessary sometimes.
    I don't see a problem carrying if you have it securely holstered where you wont loose it. Unless your worried about hurting yourself by falling on it. I would just carry without one chambered and in a secure holster. As for leaving it in your car I would never advise it. Does the place you go skiing have a hotel? if so you may ask the front desk if they have safes available for their customers. This would also be a great option.

LE carry and they get into scuffles and other physical activity and they have fallen and wrestled with their firearm still being secure. I would make sure that your holster is a decent holster that holds the firearm in place. Possibly even a level I retention if you don't already have one.

I would not leave your firearm in your unattended car at a tourist spot, no matter how locked up in the car it is. If your car is stolen, so is your firearm.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Ever heard of a "yard sale?" That's when you fall down and slide... loosing everything on the way, attached or not. If it's cold and you're jacket is zipped, you keep that, but your hat and maybe even goggles can be gone.

It'd also have to be a holster that doesn't use a belt. Or attach to pants. I've got a 3 Speed holster which might fit the bill, safety on and none in the chamber. Retention is good providing it doesn't slide up and get loosened. It's falling down and winding up with the gun half-way up the mountain that I worry about, likely it would stay inside my snow clothes, but... I'm good and wind up in some odd places. Plus if there's a lot of snow I might never find it again.

Hotel safes are no good... I don't go to a tourist-y resort, I go to a mostly locals-only one. It's car, on me, or at home.

Any ideas for other holsters? Super secure, super comfortable, and not remotely bulky?
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

You may want to look also to getting a retention lanyard:
    Tactical Pistol Retention Lanyard
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Look into some of the belly bands for inside your suit.
    Summer hobby is boating on the Bay and Lake Michigan.
    Winter hobby is driving that Jeep off the sides of mountains.

I carry when I ski but don't carry a full size weapon. When I ski I carry a S&W Bodyguard 380 and I put it in a pocket holster that goes right in my top left pocket of my ski jacket. In this pocket it is easy to access should the need arise and unless I take one hell of a wipeout it is not going anywhere. The pocket on my jacket has an angled zipper so it is just like a cross draw and it his high so it is just above my peck. Spare mag is in the lower pocket same side.

A good padded, positive retention holster might work for carrying your Nano, but you need to consider why you want to carry while on the slopes.

If you carry to have your gun on you in the event of an emergency where you think your going to need quick access, the best hope you have would be an external holster that can fully enclose your Nano so it is protected from view and the elements. You better have an extremely good belt for it for that "yard sale" event.

The alternative is a holster worn inside you ski jacket. I've seen several types of 'bandoleer' holster that strap from shoulder to waist and clip to your pants belt.

Then there is always something like this. Grovtec Trail Pack Holster - 1003606, Field Holsters at Sportsman's Guide

Obviously, what ever you decide on, stay away from an SOB rig. A friend of a friend suffered permanent spinal injury when his skis kicked out from under him when he was dismounting a rope lift and he went flat down on his back. The dismount area was hard pack snow and ice from use and refreeze. He is in chronic pain and walks with a limp because of it. His was a revolver and the cylinder profile had a lot to do with it, but still, why take a chance.

Which brings up the question. Is carrying a hard metal object on your person a good idea when you know there is a probability that you could possibly be falling down a mountain at break neck speed and out of control?

Personally, I like the hotel safe idea offered up earlier by CoolClownFish.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    A good padded, positive retention holster might work for carrying your Nano, but you need to consider why you want to carry while on the slopes.

If you carry to have your gun on you in the event of an emergency where you think your going to need quick access, the best hope you have would be an external holster that can fully enclose your Nano so it is protected from view and the elements. You better have an extremely good belt for it for that "yard sale" event.

The alternative is a holster worn inside you ski jacket. I've seen several types of 'bandoleer' holster that strap from shoulder to waist and clip to your pants belt.

Then there is always something like this. Grovtec Trail Pack Holster - 1003606, Field Holsters at Sportsman's Guide

Obviously, what ever you decide on, stay away from an SOB rig. A friend of a friend suffered permanent spinal injury when his skis kicked out from under him when he was dismounting a rope lift and he went flat down on his back. The dismount area was hard pack snow and ice from use and refreeze. He is in chronic pain and walks with a limp because of it. His was a revolver and the cylinder profile had a lot to do with it, but still, why take a chance.

Which brings up the question. Is carrying a hard metal object on your person a good idea when you know there is a probability that you could possibly be falling down a mountain at break neck speed and out of control?

Personally, I like the hotel safe idea offered up earlier by CoolClownFish.
    FYI... I have a NanoVault, not the Beretta Nano. The one I'd carry is my Shield... I don't think it'll fit in my pockets (due to the size of pockets, not the gun). Hotel safe is a good idea, but the nearest one to the ski resort I'm going to is about 30 minutes away and rather rustic... lol

I'd be carrying more so I don't have to leave it in the car rather than in case I need it... and last night I had my "I'm an idiot" moment and realized I usually wear a backpack, and I have a SafePacker. Put it in the SafePacker and stick that in my backpack, and that should do it. I'll just have to be careful at lunch time, or take the holster out and wear it like a cross-body purse.
    Modern Whig