Should It Be Obligatory to Notify LE That You Are Carrying Concealed With a Permit? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Should It Be Obligatory to Notify LE That You Are Carrying Concealed With a Permit?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • The 39 states got it right,remain silent

69 79.31%
  • The 10 states got it right,notify the LEO

14 16.09%
  • Undecided

4 4.60%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should It Be Obligatory to Notify LE That You Are Carrying Concealed With a Permit?

Lots of tough talk here, but I've spoken with a number of Houston Police, Harris County Deputies, and a Harris County constable. I've also read a great deal. Regardless of the law, I try to put myself in the officer's position and so would do what I've read (I think it was Massad Ayoob, but I'm not certain, who suggested this). The idea was for all parties to feel non threatened.
    -
    1. Sit with both hands on the wheel as the officer approaches.
    2. When the officer arrives and asks for license, etc., say "My license is in my wallet in my left back pocket. I have a CHL (or whatever your state's license is called) and I am carrying a handgun in an IWB holster at about the 4 o'clock position. Tell me how you'd like me to proceed."
    3. Follow the officer's instructions.
    -
    No one is threatening anyone. Of course, in the eight years I've had a CHL, I've never been stopped, so I haven't had a chance to practice this. My wife was stopped once (speeding), though, and while she was not carrying at the time, she did hand the officer both her DL and CHL, whereupon he asked if she had a gun in the car. She said no, and he did write her a ticket for speeding.

Why in the world when being questioned by LE about something that has nothing to do with your firearm, would you bring it up? Do you bring up the fact that you have coins in your pocket too? Do you let them know you have groceries in those brown unmarked bags? Do you let them know about the tire iron in the trunk? Do you let them know about the steel jack in the trunk as well? How about the flares that you carry? Should you let them know you have those incendiary devices?

Too many people "humanize" their guns into thinking that they are dangerous. Tools are not dangerous. How people use tools are dangerous. If you are going to blurt out to every cop that stops you about what tools are in and around your person, this tells me you may think you are the dangerous one and need to tell the cop that. Are YOU the dangerous one? If not, why tell them a blessed thing. It doesn't make them any safer or more in jeopardy whether you say you have a firearm or you don't. Also, a firearm in the holster is one of THE most safe places for it to be. Leave it there and say nothing.

The bad guy hiding a gun will surely not tell the cop anything. Is the cop safer or more in jeopardy now? The answer is NEITHER, because nothing has changed. The cop should have the situational awareness that every stop they make could be there last one because some bad guy might have a gun. Are you somehow superior because you told the cop you carry? What a load of bull.

My response is only to the 10 people that said they should inform a cop and the 3 who weren't sure. To the other 27 who get it, you may ignore my post... I'm obviously preaching to the choir.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

^ Excellent reasoning,Wolf Fire. And does not the fact that 39 out 49 legislatures,4/5ths of the United States,believe it is unnecessary to inform Law Enforcement that you are carrying a inanimate tool,which secure in your holster it certainly is, tell us something meaningful?

As was pointed out earlier in the thread,criminals, under the color of their constitutional rights, have no duty to open their mouths.

Why should you,the law abiding citizen, start spouting off about your gun position on the waist, how to proceed, can I scratch my nose, etc. Unless your state requires disclosure, my humble opinion is to say absolutely nothing unless the officer pops a question. I worked with cops every day for 20 years. I know how their minds work. The KISS formula ,as in the military, works best.

Keep it simple,everybody goes home safe. You may get a ticket,but if you are like me,you probably deserved it.

Personally, I don't trust some LEO's. My fear is that Some may shoot me if seeing me carry and I didn't tell them. If not shoot me then possibly overreact and do a felony takedown on my a$#... That's my luck anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Blue View Post
    ^ Excellent reasoning,Wolf Fire. And does not the fact that 39 out 49 legislatures,4/5ths of the United States,believe it is unnecessary to inform Law Enforcement that you are carrying a inanimate tool,which secure in your holster it certainly is, tell us something meaningful?

As was pointed out earlier in the thread,criminals, under the color of their constitutional rights, have no duty to open their mouths.

Why should you,the law abiding citizen, start spouting off about your gun position on the waist, how to proceed, can I scratch my nose, etc. Unless your state requires disclosure, my humble opinion is to say absolutely nothing unless the officer pops a question. I worked with cops every day for 20 years. I know how their minds work. The KISS formula ,as in the military, works best.

Keep it simple,everybody goes home safe. You may get a ticket,but if you are like me,you probably deserved it.
    Thank you.

We also have the right to remain silent. If that cop goes on a fishing expedition, you have the right to remain silent too. Exercise it, you may just like it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

No I do not inform. My safety comes first, it's dangerous for me to bring up firearms with law enforcement if the incident doesn't involve them.

Quote Originally Posted by shirtz1 View Post
    Since it was OC, but my jacket hung over it, I pointed at my hip.
    It doesn't matter if it's inside the waist band or outside the waist band, if it's concealed by clothing it's not open carry. Legality reasons, you should try and not mix those up.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. I live in Colorado. If I were asked straight up, I would say yes, although I will did not reveal the fact for a pullover/ticket etc. Only if I were to expect a physical search would I make the officer aware. I do not want him to find out on his own (and aggravate the situation). They have it hard enough, and my personal attitude to potentially voliatle situations - is be predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    I had this discussion with an acquaintance of mine who is a state patrol officer. He brought up some very good points.

1. He already approaches the vehicle/situation assuming that you have a firearm.

2. All of the CCW carriers who have notified him (handed over DL with CCW permit underneath and stating that they're armed) have presented some sign that they're carrying (nervousness, hands clamped on steering wheel, etc.).

3. He would rather know at the get go that someone is carrying, rather than find out at a time when things may be tense and have the situation needlessly deteriorate.

4. He acknowledges that once you declare, it is up to the individual officer how the situation gets handled (leave it alone versus disarming the individual). He doesn't feel the need to and leaves it alone for "routine" stops.

5. He reiterated the point that at the end of the day, it's in everyone's best interest to get home safely.

Your acquaintance is a moron. If he already approaches assuming that you have a firearm, then why tell him. And if you do tell him, there are some officers who will confiscate your firearm, try to unload it (if they know how) and put their grubby paws all over it. Some have muzzled the owners of the gun trying to figure out how to unload the damn thing. There was even an incident that someone brought up here where the officer gave the firearm back to the owner and asked HIM to unload it "for the officers safety" because he didn't know how. Everyone would have been a heck of a lot safer if he had left well enough alone.

Your point #2, the reason these people gave themselves away is because they are pi$$ing on themselves like a scared puppy. If you realize that your firearm is not dangerous nor threatening to anyone while it is in the holster then you won't be nervous. How many were not nervous and did not say anything and your friend had absolutely no idea they were carrying? Hmmm? So all he really did was tell you that concealed carriers who are nervous blurt out they are carrying and can't keep their mouths shut. So the ones that aren't nervous he has no clue about.

Your point #3, he'd rather know at the get go someone is carrying. Why? If you are legal he has nothing to fear. If you aren't, you aren't telling him anyway.

Your point #5, of course everyone wants to go home. But what does bringing my firearm up have to do with the traffic stop he did in the first place? How does bringing my firearm out so he can empty it "for everyone's safety" even relate to a traffic violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Toekneelt View Post
    a lot of my friends are law-enforcement officers, therefore I think it's only wise to let an officer if he pulls you over know in a very calm manner that you are carrying a weapon and where it's located and let him secure for you instead of reaching for it
    Do you inform him of your tire iron and flares too?

Why would you let a police officer secure ANY of your possessions that you have with you during a routine traffic stop? Do you give away your rights so easily for fun? I like and trust the 4th Amendment. I also like and trust my right to remain silent when asked questions that have no bearing on the traffic stop.

Being in Texas I have to notify officers (If Stopped) That I have a CC on me. I have yet to have that happen.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast