Should It Be Obligatory to Notify LE That You Are Carrying Concealed With a Permit? - Page 6

View Poll Results: Should It Be Obligatory to Notify LE That You Are Carrying Concealed With a Permit?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • The 39 states got it right,remain silent

69 79.31%
  • The 10 states got it right,notify the LEO

14 16.09%
  • Undecided

4 4.60%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should It Be Obligatory to Notify LE That You Are Carrying Concealed With a Permit?

1. I'm in one of the 10 states where it is mandated to inform upon contact. I didn't see a bullet where I could vote, "I think they got it wrong" in the 10 states.

So, I'll just have to obey the law! It's the law!
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

During the course of this thread's existence, I have become in opposition to disclosure as a requirement. However, I still think it is prudent to avoid any surprises for a police officer. That was reinforced again this weekend on the Guns Over Texas radio show (recording available at http://gunsovertexasradio.com/wp-con...131006GOTR.mp3). One of the regular panel on the show is an HPD officer (who happens to also be a large black man). The question being discussed here, came up during the show, and the police officer talked about how he handles being stopped when off duty. If you're interested, you can play back the show. The matter in question came up about 2/3 of the way through the show.
    -
    Side note. Interesting that a police officer gets stopped often enough when off duty that he has a procedure worked out. Sounds like the worst traffic offenders may be off duty policemen!

4. During a normal run of the mill traffic stop, do you tell the LEO your carrying a cell phone? Why not? How about tools in the back seat or the spare tire in the trunk? If not, why not?

If the officer doesn't ask, it obviously isn't important to him. If he asks, then he gets an honest answer. If he asks me to step out of the car, I'll let him know before I move what he can expect so he's not surprised.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to interject an inanimate object into what should a normal traffic stop. In my opinion, those that volunteer do it less out of "respect" and more for the ego-driven "look at me, I'm speshul!"

And all the people that brag about "being let off with a warning and a wink" is irrelevant. Just like the old adage of one "aw crap" wipes out a 100 "attaboys"; one Cantonization* wipes out 100 warnings and a wink.

Unless he asks, it's none of his business.

*Gun to the head, disarmed and treated like a criminal.

5. hey TRAPPER from NC hope we meet some day

for the duty to inform. in NC you have to inform if you are CC, i OC so i don't have to inform. when i am in the car my firearm is not visible. i have informed at night, but it is on the basis if the LEO is a richard or not.

but it does fly against the 4thA, let alone the 2nd and 5th. it is none of the LEOs business, especially if no crime has been committed. we may have to protect ourselves against him one day

Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    I had this discussion with an acquaintance of mine who is a state patrol officer. He brought up some very good points.

1. He already approaches the vehicle/situation assuming that you have a firearm.

2. All of the CCW carriers who have notified him (handed over DL with CCW permit underneath and stating that they're armed) have presented some sign that they're carrying (nervousness, hands clamped on steering wheel, etc.).

3. He would rather know at the get go that someone is carrying, rather than find out at a time when things may be tense and have the situation needlessly deteriorate.

4. He acknowledges that once you declare, it is up to the individual officer how the situation gets handled (leave it alone versus disarming the individual). He doesn't feel the need to and leaves it alone for "routine" stops.

5. He reiterated the point that at the end of the day, it's in everyone's best interest to get home safely.
    I got the same response from LEOs I know. In AZ, you are obligated to respond IF asked. Personally, I'd supply my CCW permit along with my DL if asked by my city's LEO. Sadly, I have less respect for the county Sheriff or state Highway Patrol.

Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey9 View Post
    In Oklahoma you must inform the officer that you are carrying and present your permit with your drivers license. But, we know that when they check your tag for the owners name that the permit info will show up as well. They know. But you have to tell them anyways.

Same thing in Arkansas. If you are driving a vehicle that is tagged in your name and the "Man" pulls you over they already know your life story BEFORE they get out of their car.

When I'm dealing with a cop for any reason I want him to know real quick that he's not the only person with a gun.

I've been carrying for over 30 years and I've seen cops go from being mouthy to hold their hat in their hand as soon as they realize I was legally armed.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

8. While I live in NC which mandates notification, it would seem that if the LEO is going to know when he checks your license it would be easier to tell the officer initially and have him/her be more comfortable when coming back to your vehicle.Perhaps I am too trusting as I read the thought that it could lead to the officer handling your gun which is of course safest by remaining in your holster.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigpa View Post
    While I live in NC which mandates notification, it would seem that if the LEO is going to know when he checks your license it would be easier to tell the officer initially and have him/her be more comfortable when coming back to your vehicle.Perhaps I am too trusting as I read the thought that it could lead to the officer handling your gun which is of course safest by remaining in your holster.
    I honestly don't think that anyone who has come down on the "no" side of the question is referring to states where notification is mandated by law. In those jurisdictions, it doesn't matter if you notify before he runs your info or after, you don't have a choice in notifying at some point, and no one here is likely to quibble over whether or not you do it before or after your info is run. All any of us on the "no" side of the equation are saying is that if not required, keep quiet about that which is none of the cops' business by law.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    While I agree with many of the posters here, lord knows I do, I don't wish to give anyone any reason to get me on the ground and cuff me. If they wish to disarm me, fine. Disarm me. If they acknowledge my rights and leave me alone, all the better. Hopefully the audio recording will be a saving grace. If we've learned anything recently, it's that there is no trust out there. Even in places you'd least expect, law-abiding citizens have been harassed for exercising their god-given rights.

Same argument about confiscation. If the "fell off the boat" line (or something similar) doesn't work, then I'm not going to sacrifice my life or that of my family if someone in a position of authority (not matter how incredulous it may be) comes knocking on my door and asks for my firearms. I'm not going to take the stance of "from my cold dead hands." I've got a wife and children. What good would it do to get arrested, lose my job, injured, killed, etc? What would I/they have to show for it? What position would I have left them in?

Sorry, but although I whole-heartedly believe in the rights, I'm also a realist. If it were just me, the story might be different.
    The sentence in bold struck me a bit. I'm a realist, too... I also whole-heartedly believe in Rights and their preservation, to include by the individual. I, being a realist, understand that if you aren't willing to exercise and protect your rights... nobody will! Perhaps I'm a modern day extremist... as I believe that puts me into an exclusive group of extraordinary men and women, I will always take that as a compliment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

11. Quote Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
    Lots of tough talk here, but I've spoken with a number of Houston Police, Harris County Deputies, and a Harris County constable. I've also read a great deal. Regardless of the law, I try to put myself in the officer's position and so would do what I've read (I think it was Massad Ayoob, but I'm not certain, who suggested this). The idea was for all parties to feel non threatened.
    -
    1. Sit with both hands on the wheel as the officer approaches.
    2. When the officer arrives and asks for license, etc., say "My license is in my wallet in my left back pocket. I have a CHL (or whatever your state's license is called) and I am carrying a handgun in an IWB holster at about the 4 o'clock position. Tell me how you'd like me to proceed."
    3. Follow the officer's instructions.
    -
    No one is threatening anyone. Of course, in the eight years I've had a CHL, I've never been stopped, so I haven't had a chance to practice this. My wife was stopped once (speeding), though, and while she was not carrying at the time, she did hand the officer both her DL and CHL, whereupon he asked if she had a gun in the car. She said no, and he did write her a ticket for speeding.
    I follow my state's requirements and nothing more. In SC, we must notify the officer ONLY if he identifies himself as an officer and asks for ID AND we are carrying on our person. But even then, we are still not legally obligated to inform him that we have a gun, we just have to give him our permit. If I'm in my vehicle I place my gun in the center console for 2 reasons: 1) because I don't have to notify the officer and 2) because I carry on my right hip and if I have a seatbelt on I can't get to it. So if I get pulled over, I do not turn over my permit or notify that I have a gun in the car.

Within the next month or so I should be out on the road conducting traffic stops, and I try and put myself in the situation now. If the person does have a gun, 1 of 2 things will happen: they will either try and shoot you with it or they won't. There is only one way to tell the 2 types of people apart, and that's when they actually pull the gun on you. So how does knowing that I have a gun increase officer safety? Someone who intends on using the gun on your most likely isn't going to let you know they have it before that time. So why should somebody who doesn't intend on inflicting any harm on the officer have to tell him that they do have a gun? The argument to modify police that you have a gun just simply doesn't make sense.

You'll hear tons of people say (especially cops...I guess cause they wanna sound cool or whatever) "when I see that permit I know you're one of the good guys..." Horse ****! A card in a man's wallet says nothing about his character.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast