The Tula Myth
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: The Tula Myth

  1. #1

    The Tula Myth

    They myth is self perpetuating and even spread by many range masters.

    Once upon a time TulAmmo was Lacquer coated. In the last couple of years the ammunition has been coated in a polymer coating.
    The polymer does not burn off in your chamber and cause your rounds to stick (For those of you that have heard this story) what happens with the Steel case is it does not expand like brass and it does not cool as fast.
    What you end up with is some blow-by and more carbon in your weapon. If the rounds are getting stuck it is generally because the weapon is fouled up.

    Unfortunately my Colt AR is a 1 in 7 twist so the 55gr tends to keyhole around 100+ yards.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,602
    5 rounds of Tulammo and my AR-15 stops working. Get that sucker out and run brass cases the rest of the night. My Mosin-Nagant likes brass or copper washed cases but doesn't like the poly coated rounds either. Dirty or not, it isn't worth the trouble to hassle with. My ARs are 1:9 and 1:10 for the 9mm version.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  4. I have shot well over a 100 rounds of it through my SR9C and about 75 rounds through my S&W M&P 15 ..No problems at all, so far..

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    353
    Just picked up 100rds of Tula 45ACP today as part of an ammo bundle from a seller on armslist. Never shot it before, maybe run out to range tomorrow to shoot it all. We'll see how it goes in my XDm.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115

    Talking Got problems with tula in your ar...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    They myth is self perpetuating and even spread by many range masters.

    Once upon a time TulAmmo was Lacquer coated. In the last couple of years the ammunition has been coated in a polymer coating.
    The polymer does not burn off in your chamber and cause your rounds to stick (For those of you that have heard this story) what happens with the Steel case is it does not expand like brass and it does not cool as fast.
    What you end up with is some blow-by and more carbon in your weapon. If the rounds are getting stuck it is generally because the weapon is fouled up.

    Unfortunately my Colt AR is a 1 in 7 twist so the 55gr tends to keyhole around 100+ yards.
    BUY AND AK........... THEN IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU SHOOT! Heh...

    I shoot lacquer, polymer, nickle, brass...... anything and everything, doesn't matter. I shoot wet, dry, dusty, muddy, rusty, greasy, oily and after not being cleaned after a few thousand rounds. Gotta love a good AK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

  7. #6
    My Colt LE6920 ran 4 boxes of it no problem. Ran 5 boxes of Winchester 5.56 no problem, ran a box of 50 brassmax, no problem... So far... No Problem!
    I posted this because as I was shooting the TulAmmo the range master came over and told me to slow down the fireing rate. He said if it got to hot the TulAmmo would stick in the chamber, so, I researched it and learned why the problems exist.

    I'll get an AK one day, just needed my AR fix first.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    My Colt LE6920 ran 4 boxes of it no problem. Ran 5 boxes of Winchester 5.56 no problem, ran a box of 50 brassmax, no problem... So far... No Problem!
    I posted this because as I was shooting the TulAmmo the range master came over and told me to slow down the fireing rate. He said if it got to hot the TulAmmo would stick in the chamber, so, I researched it and learned why the problems exist.

    I'll get an AK one day, just needed my AR fix first.
    I, maybe suprisingly, don't own an AR... my only .223/5.56 platform is a Kel-Tec SU-16b. It's a gas-piston simular to the AK, so it's pretty reliable in function... the only down side may be it's got a bolt like the AR, so the tolerences are tighter on lockup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    181
    I've shot Tula in 45 acp, 380 auto, 40 S&W, 9mm, and 223. I have never EVER had any problems whatsoever so I just grin and nod when an "expert" tells me to stay away from the stuff and then proceed to buy them out when said expert has left. I don't doubt that there are some guns out there that have problems (some guns are already very picky about what they'll feed) but the "truths" of Tula have been greatly exaggerated.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    353
    Range update: 100rd 230gr through my XD(M) compact today. Dirty... very dirty. Definitely had to clean the gun more than usual. Shoots low. No feed or eject problems. Issues feeding into mags though. Seems like friction between steel casings and steel mag causes them to "catch" a little. As the final rounds are being fed, they are loose until you shake/tap the mags slightly to release the built up slack the spring. Definitely will try to stay away from them unless abolutely necessary.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    Range update: 100rd 230gr through my XD(M) compact today. Dirty... very dirty. Definitely had to clean the gun more than usual. Shoots low. No feed or eject problems. Issues feeding into mags though. Seems like friction between steel casings and steel mag causes them to "catch" a little. As the final rounds are being fed, they are loose until you shake/tap the mags slightly to release the built up slack the spring. Definitely will try to stay away from them unless abolutely necessary.
    If nothing else an inexpensive way to build up a SHTF supply.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast