I Just Shot Myself
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Shot Myself

I Just Shot Myself

I have heard of cases like this many times over the years but this is the first video I have ever seen showing a negligent discharge actually happening. Maybe it will help someone else keep from the same thing.

Ouch, I guess that's one reason not to use to many guns and holsters, that are functionally that much different, for you carry gun.
    I only have 1 pistol that I carry and I'm looking to get a new gun on the next month or so. I'll definitely keep this vid in mind when I get the holster that goes with it.

Thanks for posting

Holy **it, lucky is an understatement. You'd have bled out if your femoral artery would have been hit.

You're brave for posting this. Glad you're okay.

That one safe gun handling rule "Keep your finger off the trigger outside the trigger guard at register until you are on target and have made the conscious decision to fire" is a b!tch when forgotten/ignored. I'm glad this guy not only didn't hurt himself more severely, but also posted to remind those not to do the same.

Thanks for spreading the word about him Oldgrunt.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

As someone who has been around the Serpa holster used by the gentleman in this video, this is something that we are always stressing about the issue of a trigger finger retention release on this holster. Many shooters that are inexperienced with this model of holster actively press the trigger finger release when drawing their gun and this will usually result in the trigger finger falling onto the trigger when the weapon is being pulled from the holster. Mentally, the shooter cannot typically stop this process and these kinds of things can happen. ( I don't like serpas especially when used by new shooters)

To release this retention, nothing needs to be changed on the draw, the trigger finger doesn't need to actively press on the retention, just putting it in a normal position ready to be straight and along the slide when seating the grip will unlock the gun.

Also, if any upward tension is put on a pistol in this holster and then the button is depressed the gun will not typically unlock. (Primary reason I hate shooting time quals with this holster) The gun must be re-seated or pressed back into in the holster and then the retention can be released and the gun can be drawn. In the slow motion it did not look like the gun locked up in the holster (from the 0:52 mark through the rest of the draw was one upward motion without any attempt to re-seat). It seems that the shooter may have been unfamiliar with this holster and made a common error with it. Good on him for not blaming the equipment, I just think his assessment of what happened is not quite right.
    Steady gun, sight reference, trigger control.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    That one safe gun handling rule "Keep your finger off the trigger outside the trigger guard at register until you are on target and have made the conscious decision to fire" is a b!tch when forgotten/ignored. I'm glad this guy not only didn't hurt himself more severely, but also posted to remind those not to do the same.

Thanks for spreading the word about him Oldgrunt.
    Honestly, I kept looking at the slow motion to see if his finger touched the trigger, but it almost seems that it went off before his finger went in the guard...guess it's just hard to see.

If you pause the video at the 00:58 mark you'll see that he pulled the trigger.

Ouch. He is very fortunate. I commend his forthright admission of negligent discharge, and sharing that video with the public. Switching between different pistol and holster designs can definitely present safety issues that may not be immediately apparent to someone who has not thoroughly studied all aspects of their equipment and exactly how they are used together. Even if you have a comprehensive understanding of both your pistol and holster, you can set yourself up for failure exactly as he did by creating a muscle memory set that is not appropriate or safe for another holster/pistol combination. Regardless, his index finger clearly went to the trigger before the muzzle had been rotated forward downrange which is WRONG and UNSAFE no matter what pistol/holster combination you use. I personally do not favor nor do I recommend retention holsters that have an index finger release. The natural tendency, which I have seen frequently with people (even those with lots of experience) who use these holsters, is for the index finger to continue onto the trigger as part of the continuous motion of release from the holster and the drawing of the firearm. The more intense the training, the more pronounced the tendency for the finger on the trigger before the muzzle is downrange coming out of this style holster. There are some firearms training schools and many law enforcement agencies that prohibit the use of this type of retention holster for that reason.

I use a Serpa holster and I like it but I can see how this mistake can easily happen with any holster. If I recall there was another video where the man says he was using two different types of retention holsters that day with each one requiring a different release technique.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    I personally do not favor nor do I recommend retention holsters that have an index finger release.
    agreed!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast