Interesting Night - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Night

Quote Originally Posted by CoolClownFish View Post
    Peepholes are simple to install. Measure the thickness of the door and get the right one from home depot and the right size drill bit. Drill the hole and insert the peephole and tighten. your done.
    Unless, of course, I get it one centimeter too far to the right... then my lovely husband will require an entirely new door! He can be a little OCD... I always give him a hard time about having to pause a movie in order to move the TV over less than one inch because it was bothering him. Ah well; good thing one of us is!

Of course, I don't particularly like our door...
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    Unless, of course, I get it one centimeter too far to the right... then my lovely husband will require an entirely new door! He can be a little OCD... I always give him a hard time about having to pause a movie in order to move the TV over less than one inch because it was bothering him. Ah well; good thing one of us is!

Of course, I don't particularly like our door...
    lol

Reading this post it occurred to me... I don't even have a peep hole in my front door. I'd been toying the idea with of some sort of camera and monitor because that would be a whole lot easier for me to install (better with electronics than carpentry - plus if I make anything slightly off-centered my husband would go nuts!), but I don't have a huge budget. Does anyone have any ideas? Nothing fancy, just a way to make sure that is the UPS guy outside.
    If all you want is to see who is at your door and not stand right behind it (you could be shot through your door), I would recommend a cheap camera/monitor system. One that you could flip on when you want to who's at the door. The camera could be wired directly to a B&W monitor and then all you would have to do is look at the monitor. You don't have to get any recording equipment since all you want to do is see who is there. This could be had for under $100 easy.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenhawK View Post
    I had an interesting situation in the middle of the night Monday. It was the first really cold night of fall, so my Great Pyrenees was sleeping outside. He usually sleeps inside when it's warmer outside than inside. Anyway, he started going nuts. ( He is a great alarms system.) About 15 seconds later someone starts banging on the door. I immediately think it's one of my neighbors in an emergency. I have an elderly man next door, and I have a teenage girl that stays across the street by herself sometimes because her dad works nights. I got my G27 anyway because Duke wouldn't normally bark at them, and the neighbors would normally call if something happened. As I opened the door, I had my pistol hidden so that I wouldn't scare the crap out of my neighbor or the police if it was them. Well, it wasn't. It was some guy. As I opened the door, he was looking down and proceeded to try to step into my house. I closed the door blocking him, and said " who are you?" keeping my gun out of sight. He looked up at me and said that he was looking for James. I told him that no James lived here or anywhere in this neighborhood, and that I knew all the neighbors. He was very apologetic and backed away. I told him that he needs to tell James that his bad directions almost got him shot, and he hurried to his car and drove off.

I don't know if I would necessarily call it a close call, but if he wouldn't have backed up when I closed the door, it might have gotten bad.
    I hope you called LE with a description and any other pertinent info you could provide. It may have been an honest mistake, but then again I would hate to successfully keep a BG out of my own home, not call the police, and then hear on the news that someone else who wasn't as prepared as you was robbed or worse by an individual using the same MO.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Reading this post it occurred to me... I don't even have a peep hole in my front door. I'd been toying the idea with of some sort of camera and monitor because that would be a whole lot easier for me to install (better with electronics than carpentry - plus if I make anything slightly off-centered my husband would go nuts!), but I don't have a huge budget. Does anyone have any ideas? Nothing fancy, just a way to make sure that is the UPS guy outside.
    Here are surveillance cameras that transmit via wifi to an IP address, less expensive than you might think and include pan/tilt to insure that the person at your door is really alone:

IP Cameras - Buy Cheap Wireless IP Camera for Home | Tmart

Good ending to what so easily could of been bad. It really sucks that a guy can never put his guard down. What scares me most is that something would happen when I am in a deep sleep. I worked in the fire service for 30 years and on some of the night calls it would take a minute to get the cobwebs out when in a deep sleep. Plenty of time for the bad guy to get the upper hand.

8. From the great defense master Massad Ayoob. The best 4 minutes you'll spend today.

Quote Originally Posted by timtheref View Post

From the great defense master Massad Ayoob. The best 4 minutes you'll spend today.
    Great Post! I seen that the other day being shown at a CCW Class here in Utah.

Uniden makes some fairly cheap surveillance systems, especially if you don't mind a refurb. I've got a system similar to this one that works great. Mine has a larger monitor, but unless you're planning to just sit and watch it, it's not necessary. This one's $120 shipped and has two cameras. You can put them inside pointing out a window or outside.

Uniden Uniden UDR444 Digital Wireless Video Surveillance System - Refurbished - Tools - Home Security & Safety - Security Systems & Surveillance
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

I would also recommend getting a monitor that let's you know when someone has driven or walked across your driveway. This gives you a head's up BEFORE they get to your door.

The Home Security Superstore - HomeSafe® Door & Driveway Alarm - DW-ALARM - Home Security Solutions
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast