Do You Support ANY Gun Control Laws? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Do You Support ANY Gun Control Laws?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • None,the 2nd A,shall not be infringed,rules

    63 77.78%
  • Yes,there must be some restrictions

    17 20.99%
  • Undecided

    1 1.23%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 180

Thread: Do You Support ANY Gun Control Laws?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    Just to add... If someone's so mentally ill as to be a danger to society, they're probably stuck in a mental care facility somewhere. If they aren't competent, their family has to take care of them and it is the family's responsibility to control their access to guns.

    Sure, there are plenty of very intelligent sociopaths out there, but they are either too smart to go around committing crime, or they're smart enough to get a weapon even with restrictions. The "Dexters" out there blend well enough with society that there is no way to regulate gun control in any fairness.
    Generally, you are correct, but there are some who fall through the cracks. Read up on the Virginia Tech shooting. Regardless, a doctor should not be releasing medical records about a patient to anyone, especially any governmental body.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  2.   
  3. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    Do not fail to realize that it is all a matter of opinion.
    My rights are not an opinion. My rights are inalienable from the government. In other words, I possess these rights regardless of the government. The Constitution has only listed down some of the most basic rights we have that keep the government limited in its powers. These are not opinions. These are actual statements by the creators of this document.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  4. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    I "Outed Myself after I Voted" I am not ashamed of how I feel about this.

    There are some people who should not own guns. If you've never met one go check out a facility that "Houses" the mentally Ill. My experience is much more personal and is the reason I will never change my mind on this issue.
    My opinion of this came into my life. If someone does not understand mental illness they need to educate themselves. Go to the facilities and see for yourself a small sampling of those you would not want to hand a loaded gun to.

    I agree that parents should "Parent" their children, but not all do. My 11 year old has a passport if he needed identification and he has a few thousand dollars in savings if he wanted to access his cash.

    & The Justice System will never be able to correctly rehabilitate many convicted Felons. Rehabilitation rarely, if ever happens in prison. So, Wolf_fire would then leave them in prison I guess.
    As part of the judicial system they are prohibited from owning a firearm, its part of the deal.
    You want to be a gun owner, don't commit a crime (Felony).
    I agree, not ALL people should own guns. But NONE of those people should be held subject to that decision by our government. Our government, when giving power over rights has inexorably shown their wanton disregard for them.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    I "Outed Myself after I Voted" I am not ashamed of how I feel about this.

    There are some people who should not own guns. If you've never met one go check out a facility that "Houses" the mentally Ill. My experience is much more personal and is the reason I will never change my mind on this issue.
    My opinion of this came into my life. If someone does not understand mental illness they need to educate themselves. Go to the facilities and see for yourself a small sampling of those you would not want to hand a loaded gun to.

    I agree that parents should "Parent" their children, but not all do. My 11 year old has a passport if he needed identification and he has a few thousand dollars in savings if he wanted to access his cash.

    & The Justice System will never be able to correctly rehabilitate many convicted Felons. Rehabilitation rarely, if ever happens in prison. So, Wolf_fire would then leave them in prison I guess.
    As part of the judicial system they are prohibited from owning a firearm, its part of the deal.
    You want to be a gun owner, don't commit a crime
    (Felony).
    If one is in prison, it is because they have violated someone elses rights to such a heinous extent that our system of justice has decided through its measures that this person shall be removed from the citizenry for a temporary to a permanent amount of time. While in prison, they have forfeited their rights because of what they did. If our system deems them adequate to go back to the citizenry then they should have their rights restored. If this scares some, then it is our judicial system that needs to be fixed. If one is not "rehabilitated" from their crimes or is deemed to still be a menace to society, then they should not be allowed out of prison. If their crime is so heinous that they will never be allowed out, then capital punishment is an option.

    The point is, when one has paid their debt to society then should be fully restored to society.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  6. #65
    ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    My rights are not an opinion. My rights are inalienable from the government. In other words, I possess these rights regardless of the government. The Constitution has only listed down some of the most basic rights we have that keep the government limited in its powers. These are not opinions. These are actual statements by the creators of this document.
    As was noted by the Danbury Baptists in their letter to Jefferson, our rights do not originate from legislation or legislators - they are what belong to us as HUMANS. The Bill of Rights is the first statment of human rights in history.

    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual...

    Nothing is unchangeable but the inherent and unalienable rights of man...

    A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference...
    Thomas Jefferson
    The rights of persons, and the rights of property, are the objects, for the protection of which Government was instituted. James Madison

  7. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    Here is the truth, it all comes down to the majority rule. That's what a republic is all about.
    Please retake a government lesson and learn what a republic really is. What you described is a democracy, which is not the form of government this country has. We do have a representative republic but it is not defined as you state it.

    A republic is when elected officials represent the peoples that have elected them to do their bidding. They are to act in our best interest and have taken an oath to support and uphold the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign AND domestic.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  8. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Please retake a government lesson and learn what a republic really is. What you described is a democracy, which is not the form of government this country has. We do have a representative republic but it is not defined as you state it.

    A republic is when elected officials represent the peoples that have elected them to do their bidding. They are to act in our best interest and have taken an oath to support and uphold the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign AND domestic.
    Please scroll up and read the clarification on what I meant then let me know where I am off base.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

  9. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    This poll is really meaningless because of its use of the extremely broad (and emotionally charged) label, "gun control." That can include anything from mild and insignificant paperwork fixes to gun registration to limits or bans on purchase/possession/ownership. The only thing I support is a mechanism to afford additional scrutiny (a closer look, not a ban) of people with a history of mental institutionalization not pursuant to court order, and of other significant mental problems. This is one of those areas where we could and should have a dialogue about better defining the balancing of public safety and gun rights. Demonizing as ideologically impure those with different views from those held by the majority doesn't serve any useful purpose other than to identify those who favor emotional rather than reasoned responses and dialogue.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. This poll shows that even within the gun community, there are those who are willing to have their rights trampled on by governmental elitists who think they know how to manage our lives better than we can. Within this community there are some who are willing to give up a bit of liberty in order to gain a little security and will deserve neither and lose both.
    Last edited by wolf_fire; 10-11-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  10. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Generally, you are correct, but there are some who fall through the cracks. Read up on the Virginia Tech shooting. Regardless, a doctor should not be releasing medical records about a patient to anyone, especially any governmental body.
    That's actually the kind of thing I was referring to... we can't catch the guys who pass as normal or the ones who fall through the cracks without creating unfair/unconstitutional regulations.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

  11. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    I "Outed Myself after I Voted" I am not ashamed of how I feel about this.

    There are some people who should not own guns. If you've never met one go check out a facility that "Houses" the mentally Ill. My experience is much more personal and is the reason I will never change my mind on this issue.
    My opinion of this came into my life. If someone does not understand mental illness they need to educate themselves. Go to the facilities and see for yourself a small sampling of those you would not want to hand a loaded gun to.

    I agree that parents should "Parent" their children, but not all do. My 11 year old has a passport if he needed identification and he has a few thousand dollars in savings if he wanted to access his cash.

    & The Justice System will never be able to correctly rehabilitate many convicted Felons. Rehabilitation rarely, if ever happens in prison. So, Wolf_fire would then leave them in prison I guess.
    As part of the judicial system they are prohibited from owning a firearm, its part of the deal.
    You want to be a gun owner, don't commit a crime (Felony).
    While I agree that some people shouldn't own firearms, I am absolutely opposed to any infringement or restriction on their rights to do so. It's a risk I'm willing to take. That's one reason I carry. I operate under the assumption that bad guys won't follow the law.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol & Personal Defense in the Home)
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast