Open Carry vs Concealed Carry - a comprehensive response - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry vs Concealed Carry - a comprehensive response

1. Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
    I prefer CC simply because I feel that it gives me a tactical advantage
    Just curious, what is the tactical advantage to wait until an attack is underway and you then have to "fix" the situation and jeopardize the lives of everyone in the area when the shooting starts? Do you shove your kids and wife behind something and start shooting? If you know that most criminals scope out the place before robbing it, wouldn't it be better for the protection of your wife and kids for the BG to see your gun and change his plans? To say that you want the tactical advantage means that you want to get into a dangerous gun fight rather than deter it. As for the OCer getting shot first, it doesn't happen. There is no record of that ever happening.

I open carry because I want the tactical advantage.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I open carry because I want the tactical advantage.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    I agree! I also prefer open carry because, unlike concealed carry's "tactical element of surprise" where you have to wait to be attacked before the bad guy is "surprised" to see you have a gun, I prefer open carry's "tactical element of surprise" of a side arm right where the bad guy can see my gun up front and deter him from attacking in the first place.... that way I don't have to deal with the bad guy in any way at all because he decided to wait and attack someone who looked as though they are unarmed and easy prey. You know... a concealed carrier for instance.

Not that I'd deliberately place myself in any of the worst urban neighborhoods in the country, but should I find myself in one, for some odd reason, you bet that I'd walk down the street like I fricken owned it, with every weapon I had in the complete open. If you walk amongst the wolves, then you damn well better be a wolf, too. (And then, as soon as you can...get the hell outta there.) FWIW, I pretty much OC all the time.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

6. Quote Originally Posted by IOC View Post
    Do you shove your kids and wife behind something and start shooting?
    There is an intermediate step between those two: I think you are supposed to retrieve your gun from concealment and loudly exclaim, "SURPRISE!".
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

7. After living on Capitol Hill, 2 blocks from the "hood", you would get away with OC 1 or 2 times, but the very young teens who need to prove themselves to get in a gang, will ambush you. I had four cameras on my house and gun shots were heard every few nights. People were always wanting to view my cameras to see if they could find bad guys doing bad things. The teens are actually robbing people on the Washington Mall where there are police on every corner and then the BG's disappear into the subway system. No, never OC on their territory unless you really are looking for a gunfight, and either way, you lose, your life or your finances as you defend yourself in criminal and/or civil court.

8. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    There is an intermediate step between those two: I think you are supposed to retrieve your gun from concealment and loudly exclaim, "SURPRISE!".
    If I have to draw my gun for any reason, I've already lost and I'm fighting for my life and those around me. No thanks, I’ve had enough of that in Nam and LAPD. I want the BG's to see my gun and find a safer victim, that is why I OC. Preemption is better than shooting and possibly dying - or - spend the rest of my life paying legal bills for the almost guaranteed civil suit. OCers don't shoot BG's, they make them change their plans. I'll leave the shooting the guys with the badges; the government pays their legal bills if the shooting is justified.

Quote Originally Posted by IOC View Post
    If I have to draw my gun for any reason, I've already lost and I'm fighting for my life and those around me. No thanks, I’ve had enough of that in Nam and LAPD. I want the BG's to see my gun and find a safer victim, that is why I OC. Preemption is better than shooting and possibly dying - or - spend the rest of my life paying legal bills for the almost guaranteed civil suit. OCers don't shoot BG's, they make them change their plans. I'll leave the shooting the guys with the badges; the government pays their legal bills if the shooting is justified.
    I really like the part of your post I put in bold. May I use that (or small variations of it) in the future?

Oh... and the forum only lets me "like" your post once so consider my one "like" to be multiplied by 1000...

Tony, this is by far the best article I've ever read on the subject. Thanks for posting. I'm going to link to this thread when I am writing to legislators to get Open Carry in Texas. Thanks again; good job.
    Stop, Drop, and Roll won't work in Hell.
    The truth about the former Republic of the United States of America:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Ioz...ayer_embedded#

11. Nice article.

The only problem I have with OC, is that it is illegal in Northwest AR, with other parts of the state enlightened, that allow it, due to LEOs (and PAs) interpretation of an obviously controversial piece of legislation recently passed. The Arkansas State Police will arrest anyone OC'ing in any part of the state. Counties and local LEOs are more forgiving, in other areas. There is no consensus, hence the turmoil.

Here, open carry is like a box of chocolates, you never know what part of the state will put you behind bars.

Someone from Arkansas Carry put-up a graphic where OC friendly areas are located. I hope more green gets on the map, quickly.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast