If people are allowed to carry firearms the wild west will happen....errr if cops are - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If people are allowed to carry firearms the wild west will happen....errr if cops are

Quote Originally Posted by JimTh View Post
    Interesting observation. You must be a cop! We have a nation full of trained cops and I am not sure they have saved a singl persons life...they are not required to save anyone's life. You dont like us civilians very much do you? How much innocent blood can be spilled by LEO before it becomes too much blood, even for you? Know why don't you go and see if Andy of Mayberry has your bullet!
    1.NO I am not a cop--so much for your "self-congratulating pat on the back" for your intuition.
    2.I am a civilian and like my friends and neighbors just fine--don't offer me some more of your vaunted intuition.
    3.Spilled blood?--why don't you add up the amount of civilian spilled blood and the amount of LEO spilled blood and tell me what come up with now that you have made another ridiculous comment.
    4. I do not need "Andy's bullet"--I have enough of my own, thank you. BTW--it was Barney who had the "bullet"--so kindly quote correctly.
    Have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    1.NO I am not a cop--so much for your "self-congratulating pat on the back" for your intuition.
    2.I am a civilian and like my friends and neighbors just fine--don't offer me some more of your vaunted intuition.
    3.Spilled blood?--why don't you add up the amount of civilian spilled blood and the amount of LEO spilled blood and tell me what come up with now that you have made another ridiculous comment.
    4. I do not need "Andy's bullet"--I have enough of my own, thank you. BTW--it was Barney who had the "bullet"--so kindly quote correctly.
    Have a nice day
    Innocent civilian spilled blood is much greater by cops shooting innocent civilians than by civilians doing a bad shoot against a perceived threat. Don't come up with that bs about bad guys shooting up the town. Stick to cop bad shoots versus civilian bad shoots. Well...whatdya think. Now go pat yourself on the ass for being blind. You don't want to know the truth don't ask the question!

Here's the thing with this topic.. many people do carry concealed firearms, and we're not killing each other over parking spaces on a daily basis. That whole misguided idea was disproven long ago. The ATF was actually unable to recently cite a single example of an NFA registered weapon being used in a single crime in the past 35 years when asked about it while they were pushing for stricter NFA requirements.
    Now, regarding police, keep in mind that they are faced daily with dangerous situations, and are far, far more likely to be required to use a firearm than you or I in our daily lives. As such, instances of misuse will be greater, statistically, for them than for a civilian, per capita. Keep in mind that police are people, too, and as such, are just as likely to have a bad seed in the lot. In fact it was once said that Power does not, in fact corrupt, but power attracts the easily corruptable. Looking at it that way, you could reason that there is a greater chance that someone who is lazy, or uncaring, or downright malevolent will try to become a police officer, and will stand a good chance of making the grade. That doesn't mean all cops are bad, or all cops are bad shots, etc.. it just means that when a cop does mess up, he's more likely to be in the public eye than Joe Shmoe office worker.

I used to ask cops what they thought of proposed CCW laws. Now I ask them how often they have to qualify. Usually it's either 6 months or yearly. After they answer that, I ask them how often they PRACTICE.
    There's usually this "deer in the headlights" look. More often than not, their answer is "only when I have to qualify".

And these people are PAID to protect us ?!?

We know how hard it is to hit a target with a handgun so we practice whenever we can. And some of us actually enjoy it

No not all cops are "bad" but they never cross the "Thin Blue Line"...never ever. As far as cops being in dangerous situations...every store clerk in the country is in a dangerous situation. I would reckon that more store clerks, pizza delivery guys, Chinese food delivery guys, and cab drivers are killed every year than cops. And those poor souls are absolutely defenseless. I will bet more women are raped and killed than cops. And they are absolutely defenseless. I would bet that a random person is more likely to be jumped and killed by a gang of thugs than a cop is. There are numerous stories of store clerks not shooting the bad guy pointing a gun at them but there are numerous stories of cops shooting the guy reaching into his back pocket. Civilians are not out killing everything or every dog that they perceive as a threat...it just ain't happening.

First point, DC court ruled in 1975 that law enforcement officers do not have a legal obligation to defend any individual, but are required to uphold public safety. Don't ask me what the difference is because I can't give you a good answer. The decision has been upheld a few times since then. Try to think back to the last time the slogan "to serve and protect" was printed on a police vehicle. That is also the main point for my next argument, every law abiding citizen should be armed. I think they should have to be certified to carry concealed, but other than that, you pay taxes, you can own a gun. As far as negligible actions of law enforcement officers go; there is only one easy cut and dry answer that makes sense to me. Disband the law enforcement agencies from the state to the local level and privatize it. The real problem with police error isn't just the fact that it is a result of low budget, piss poor training, and social loafing; the real problem is trying to correct it to prevent further error.
    Simply put, it is too hard to fire a government employee. Firing a government contractor is as easy as a phone call. Contractors are forced to stay competitive so you will get more for your money. The problem with law enforcement is the reactive mentality that has developed. A proactive mentality of preventing crime has fallen to the wayside due to technology doing all the work these days. Why risk getting shot trying to catch someone breaking into a home when you can run the serial numbers on everything that was stolen and let a computer do all the work. The problem is the family that has to deal with what was take from them. Law enforcement is as broken as the rest of the justice system. We need a proactive solution that cannot come from government bureaucracy.
    ""Chance favors the well prepared mind" - Louis Pastuer

-Blakester

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234