Son's Work Gun Malfunction Pic Included
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Son's Work Gun Malfunction Pic Included

My Son's Work Gun Malfunctioned during an incursion exercise today.
    The round pictured is a live Blank 5.56 round in a Colt M4.
    I have never seen anything like it.
    Any ideas?
    It took about 20 minutes to get the round out.
    Son's Work Gun Malfunction Pic Included-stuck-brass.jpg
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

3. I have seen a picture of this before on the net. The person with the hangup said it was caused by a neglected, worse than dirty firearm. YMMV.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

Blank rounds are notoriously filthy. I mean supremely filthy. In the Marines we'd have to clean for a week solid to get all the carbon out of our weapons. I'd give credence to the fouling theory.

I'll agree with the Blanks being filthy. I remember using them when I served in the Army.
    After 17 years neither he nor I have ever seen this type of failure in his weapon.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Its not the weapon, Id blame the blank. Those things are issue prone, and cleaning is a nightmare at best with those things. cant help you really with an explanation, Id never seen anything like it before. Doubtful anyone was hurt, and thank god almost appears as if the weapons charging handle was let forward with a blank still inside?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Yes, can't remember the name of the kind of jam but they do happen (obviously). Couldn't tell you why, could be the blank but I've had it happen on a clean gun firing live ammo before. The proper immediate action to clear it is to use something sturdy like a screwdriver or leatherman to hold the bolt to the rear and then jam the charging handle forward. Usually this will free up the brass on its own but you may still have to wiggle it out. The Leatherman MUT actually comes with a tool specially for this kind of jam because they're such a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Yes, can't remember the name of the kind of jam but they do happen (obviously). Couldn't tell you why, could be the blank but I've had it happen on a clean gun firing live ammo before. The proper immediate action to clear it is to use something sturdy like a screwdriver or leatherman to hold the bolt to the rear and then jam the charging handle forward. Usually this will free up the brass on its own but you may still have to wiggle it out. The Leatherman MUT actually comes with a tool specially for this kind of jam because they're such a pain.
    Isn't this what they call a brass over bolt malfunction. Couldn't this be remedied by mortaring the rifle?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Howdy,

Like everyone else posted:

Dirty blank. I've seen it happen several times while using the old Miles system and blanks.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Been there and done that. It is a real PITA to get them out sometimes. Called a brass over bolt.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Aah for the M1 (the real one). Blanks, old CO2 cartridges, mud, twigs, ice - meh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast