Green Tip 5.56
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Tip 5.56

Green Tip 5.56

I picked up a couple of boxes of Green Tip 5.56 at Walmart today. They were in a mint green Federal Ammunition box 150 Count.
    I have seen some YouTube video's featuring these rounds but have yet to get out and shoot them myself. They should run nice in my AR as its a 1in7 Twist.

Anyone have any first hand experience with these rounds. Anyone tested them on anything other than the 1/4" steel plates I see on YouTube?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Green Tip 5.56

Use them frequently.....great ammo for home defense!!! Lose a little with distance shots due to the ballistic tip but fine at 150 yds. 2 in. Squares

Green Tip 5.56

Are they a ballistic tip or the xm855 ball ammo? The xm855 has a steel core and is a 62gr projectile which performs flawlessly in my AR. Don't know if I'd use that for home defense. But it is a good round.
    Guns.??? What Guns???

What Kalamity said. The green tip has a steel core. Same as the SS109. They will pass cleanly through 1/4 inch steel and put a nice big ole dent in 3/8 steel. The steel I used was rated at 100,000 PSI Tensile which is not the hardest steel but it's pretty close. Mild 1/4 steel would fair slightly better than cold butter against the M855 round. For that matter regular .223 ball ammo would have no problems against mild steel. My dad works for a fabrication shop and I get all their left over steel to make my hand gun targets. The M193 round or a 50gr hollow point would be a better choice for home defense using an AR. A 12ga Shotgun with double 00 buck would be better.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

THE REAL CAPTAIN JACK Guest
    Yeah the steel core greens are penetrating little bullets that like to go thru the Bad guy and the wall and maybe into a loved one! Great rounds for target practice though. Definitely use the hollow points for home defense.

GUN CARRYING AMERICAN PATRIOT!!!!

7. Just my opinion BUT "damned poor choice for HD".
    FYI:Most any 223 will hole 1/4" steel plate @ 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
    Just my opinion BUT "damned poor choice for HD".
    FYI:Most any 223 will hole 1/4" steel plate @ 100 yards.
    Mild steel yes, armored steel no. I've shot lots of holes in 1/4in mild steel at 75-100 yards with standard 55gr FMJ and I've also shot lots of the same ammo at 1/4 AR500 targets at 100yds without a scratch. The green tips will lightly crater AR500 at 100 yds but will not come close to penetrating without repeated shots in the same hole.

i have had first hand experience with these rounds. im a marine at camp lejeune and these are the rounds we use with our m16's. as far as using them on anything other than the plates....i havent seen the used on anything else besides paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    I picked up a couple of boxes of Green Tip 5.56 at Walmart today. They were in a mint green Federal Ammunition box 150 Count.
    I have seen some YouTube video's featuring these rounds but have yet to get out and shoot them myself. They should run nice in my AR as its a 1in7 Twist.

Anyone have any first hand experience with these rounds. Anyone tested them on anything other than the 1/4" steel plates I see on YouTube?
    Do you mean people? They poke nice little holes through them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

WoW, My Walmart just put 10 cases (30 boxes) of this on the shelf.
    Lots of .40 cal as well.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast