Another irresponsible parent should be indicted for murder - Nevada School Shooting
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another irresponsible parent should be indicted for murder - Nevada School Shooting

Another irresponsible parent should be indicted for murder - Nevada School Shooting

More irresponsible parents another dead child and more victims.
    These parents should be arrested immediately.

(CNN) -- A student opening fire with a handgun he took from his parents. Screaming students running for cover. A teacher, trying to help, shot dead. Two students wounded.

As authorities investigated, details were still trickling out hours after a deadly shooting Monday at a Nevada middle school.

An official used one word to describe the scene at Sparks Middle School: chaos.

The shooter took a handgun from his parents, a federal law enforcement source who was briefed on the situation told CNN's Evan Perez.

Read more at http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/21/justice/nevada-middle-school-shooting/
    Last edited by lukem; 10-21-2013 at 09:22 PM.

So when do we hear that it was an automatic assault weapon with a hi capacity clip instead of the semi auto with a standard capacity magazine? My sympathies go out to the teacher's family and loved ones and prayers for speedy recovery of those wounded. To the owner of the gun, your careless acts contributed to this horror and my you be justly punished. To the child that committed this act, one must ask why? There is no excuse for your actions but I am sure there is an explanation.

Mike Landsberry, a popular math teacher at the school, was killed in the shooting, Sparks Mayor Geno Martini told CNN.

In addition to his work as a teacher, Landsberry also had served in the Marines and served several tours in Afghanistan as a member of the Nevada Air National Guard, his brother, Reggie, told CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360."
    Had this teacher been armed the outcome could have been very different.

True. But it also goes to show that if this multiple tour combat vet had been allowed to have been armed, he would still be here today.

Quote Originally Posted by superprincess View Post
    More irresponsible parents another dead child and more victims.
    These parents should be arrested immediately.

(CNN) -- A student opening fire with a handgun he took from his parents. Screaming students running for cover. A teacher, trying to help, shot dead. Two students wounded.

As authorities investigated, details were still trickling out hours after a deadly shooting Monday at a Nevada middle school.

An official used one word to describe the scene at Sparks Middle School: chaos.

The shooter took a handgun from his parents, a federal law enforcement source who was briefed on the situation told CNN's Evan Perez.

Read more at Nevada school shooting: Teacher killed, two students wounded - CNN.com
    When I was a kid I wrecked my bike into the neighbors car putting a huge gouge in the door. When the police showed up my parents were told that they were responsible by law for my actions until I was 18 years old. There is no difference here, These parents should be held accountable for the actions of their child. If there were more accountability there would be less of this type of crime. Give me a bill that says the parents are held responsible for their child especially in this kind of situation and I would vote for it in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by davcommander View Post
    So when do we hear that it was an automatic assault weapon with a hi capacity clip instead of the semi auto with a standard capacity magazine? My sympathies go out to the teacher's family and loved ones and prayers for speedy recovery of those wounded. To the owner of the gun, your careless acts contributed to this horror and my you be justly punished. To the child that committed this act, one must ask why? There is no excuse for your actions but I am sure there is an explanation.
    It was a "High Capacity Assault Pistol".

Even if the parents aren't arrested for their negligence, then I hope the families of the victims take everything they have from them in civil court, just like their son took everything from that teacher.

When, oh when, will states realize that taking away peoples' rights to defend themselves always ends up poorly for the victims, not the criminals?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolClownFish View Post
    When I was a kid I wrecked my bike into the neighbors car putting a huge gouge in the door. When the police showed up my parents were told that they were responsible by law for my actions until I was 18 years old. There is no difference here, These parents should be held accountable for the actions of their child. If there were more accountability there would be less of this type of crime. Give me a bill that says the parents are held responsible for their child especially in this kind of situation and I would vote for it in a heartbeat.
    That's not completely accurate. You're talking about two different things. Parents are criminally responsible for their children's actions up until they reach the age of culpability which varies from state to state but is usually between 7 and 10 years old. After that, minors are responsible for their own actions, hence the juvenile justice system. Now if the parents played a part in the child's crime, such as leaving a loaded firearm accessible to them, then they are responsible for their OWN negligent actions that contributed to the minors crime.

On the other hand, parents are civilly and financially responsible for any damage their child causes, such as accidentally dinging a door, up until that child reaches legal adulthood at 18.

Unless there is more information than just "The shooter took a handgun from his parents", who are any of us to say what should happen to the parents at this point? Some of you sound just like the jackasses who wanted to fry Zimmerman.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Quote Originally Posted by SR40c View Post
    Unless there is more information than just "The shooter took a handgun from his parents", who are any of us to say what should happen to the parents at this point? Some of you sound just like the jackasses who wanted to fry Zimmerman.
    If he was in high school, and 17 or 18 years old I'd be more understanding of your point. However, IMO, no middle school student that's 12-13 years old should have unsupervised access to a loaded handgun. Unless he somehow cut his way into his parents' gun safe, then I agree that they should face charges.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    If he was in high school, and 17 or 18 years old I'd be more understanding of your point. However, IMO, no middle school student that's 12-13 years old should have unsupervised access to a loaded handgun. Unless he somehow cut his way into his parents' gun safe, then I agree that they should face charges.
    I understand the point you're trying to make and agree that 12 year olds should have limited access to handguns but I think the bigger picture that most make every effort to ignore is WHAT is causing kids to go nuts and do this? Is it the massive amounts of Ritalin or other drugs? Is it video games? Lack of parental structure? Seriously we need to start asking the hard questions even if it goes against our societal urge to medicate the crap out of everyone instead of either realizing that some people are just hyper and maybe need a spanking once in a while. Its not abuse and it isn't the whole cure either. Going back to institutionalizing people with problems w/ out worrying about their rights/feelings would have most likely prevented Sandy Hook and Columbine. The individuals in this case were all nuts and had been to doctors. I can say from experience that getting someone help for mental issues is NOT easy to do. They worry more about stigmatizing than they do the possible effect of releasing them into public. Hell, I had open access to handguns, rifles and shotguns growing up and by 10 knew how to load and fire. So did my friends. NONE of us went on shooting sprees nor do I remember any happening back in the 70s - early part of the 90's. It seems that when we turned to medicating vs. discipline things went haywire. Anyhow, thats just my opinion and WTF do I know LOL.

As far as responsibility, was the gun in the safe? Was it in a drawer for protection in the bedroom? Too many variables to be tossing around right now.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast