Light or Laser mounted to a HD Gun? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Light or Laser mounted to a HD Gun?

  1. #11
    This is why I love strobe on my tac lights. The strobe doesn't affect me at all when I'm behind the source of it.. but being in front of it, a strobe, especially an asymmetric strobe, is disorienting as hell, and blinding. I don't worry too much about someone shooting at the light source. By the time they can manage to find it, I'll have already neutralized the threat. It's a good force multiplier. Also, many rail mounted tac lights use a momentary/constant switch, so you can pop the light on and off on demand, with a touch of the button, so you're not a constant light source target.



    skip to 3:47
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you sir are one of the few who thought this issue through to a proper conclusion, lights and lasers are crutches, akin to training wheels.
    I see it more akin to driving around with your headlights off...is it possible? Yes...do I want to do it? No.

    I like to identify what I'm aiming at, and I'm not rich enough for night vision.

    Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Lowcountry of South Carolina
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by FL180 View Post
    Would you rather have a light or a laser mounted to your home defense pistol?

    I have a G22 as my home defense gun and I have a rail light and I also have a laser. They are two separate units. I am trying to decide which one I should put on my gun. Both the light and laser have their own rails so I could mount one to the other and have them both on my gun but that doesn't sound very practical to me. Two separate controls and it just looks wierd!

    The laser is nice but if I ever have to move through the house at night to get to the kids I would need a flash light. The problem I see here is the left hand (flashlight) and the right hand (trigger finger) pointing in two different directions. If the flashlight is pointing at the threat but the gun is pointing somewhere else I can see where the trigger finger might squeeze thinking its on target when it's really the flashlight on target not the gun.

    Ideally, I combo light/laser in the same unit would be my best option, but I don't have funds to go out and buy one of those right now. I need to use what I have in the mean time. I think I'm leaning towards the flashlight. It would light my way and give me a general idea of where rounds will hit because it does have a focused beam but still enough of a flood to light up rooms.

    So what do you use/recommend and why? Would you mount them both?
    The laser. A laser is useless if held in the hand while shooting, and must be zeroed to the gun to be effective. The flashlight is still useful if not attached.
    Chief

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by donking View Post
    As a newbie in the HD arena, I question the wisdom of using a laser or flashlight, either as an attachment to or independent of the firearm. My thought is that, while I certainly would like the ability to see the intruder better, the laser/flashlight from my end simply gives the intruder a mark on my location. Any thoughts?
    Totally and completely agree. I have replied to similar threads in the past. I know my house and I know it in the dark. It is only my wife and I and I lock and secure my bedroom door with its lock and a large door stopper--we have no need to "sweep" the house or look for children or others--no one else lives in my home. If there is a "bump in the night" I know exactly where I will be in my bedroom and it is about 5-6 ft from my bedroom door. I will call 911 on my cell next to my bed, I will open garage doors and activate car alarms via remotes next to my bed (flashing headlights and alarms should cause some concern to the BGs but it also surely tells LEOs, if they should arrive in a timely fashion, which house is mine. Everything in my other rooms is insured and replaceable--I am insured but NOT replaceable and I do not intend to find out how good the BGs may be with whatever potential firearms they have brought with them. My position is hidden from the door but I do have a view of the door. I have a loaded 12 g with shot in the chamber (no urban legends for me about "racking my shotgun and supposedly scaring the BGs to leave--they do not even have to know from the sound where I am in my bedroom) and I have an FN5.7X28 semi with 21 lethal (20 in mag and 1 in chamber) and accurate cartridges (lo recoil) at the ready. If someone decides to find out what is behind Door No. 1, they will be unpleasantly surprised for probably their last time. I do not want nor need a light, a laser or any other hindrance for my defense. I can point/shoot and can easily hit center mass at the 5-6 ft distance; as said before, all I need is that little bit of ambient light and I surely know where I am in reference to that door. IMO, as you say donking, the light and the laser just tell the BGs where I am and it is to my advantage that I know where I am and they do not. Hey--whatever grabs you and if it works for some, especially members who find it necessary to "sweep the house" or somehow have to investigate in pitch black surroundings, have at it. To me and what I consider home defense in my home with my abilities and my plan of defense, a laser and/or a light is just some expensive and even time consuming "furniture" for my firearm that I do not require or need.

  6. #15
    if you are not alert when you first wake up keeping a gun right next to you is incredibly foolish, the light and laser do not make you any more alert, you are a tragedy waiting to happen

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Totally and completely agree. I have replied to similar threads in the past. I know my house and I know it in the dark. It is only my wife and I and I lock and secure my bedroom door with its lock and a large door stopper--we have no need to "sweep" the house or look for children or others--no one else lives in my home. If there is a "bump in the night" I know exactly where I will be in my bedroom and it is about 5-6 ft from my bedroom door. I will call 911 on my cell next to my bed, I will open garage doors and activate car alarms via remotes next to my bed (flashing headlights and alarms should cause some concern to the BGs but it also surely tells LEOs, if they should arrive in a timely fashion, which house is mine. Everything in my other rooms is insured and replaceable--I am insured but NOT replaceable and I do not intend to find out how good the BGs may be with whatever potential firearms they have brought with them. My position is hidden from the door but I do have a view of the door. I have a loaded 12 g with shot in the chamber (no urban legends for me about "racking my shotgun and supposedly scaring the BGs to leave--they do not even have to know from the sound where I am in my bedroom) and I have an FN5.7X28 semi with 21 lethal (20 in mag and 1 in chamber) and accurate cartridges (lo recoil) at the ready. If someone decides to find out what is behind Door No. 1, they will be unpleasantly surprised for probably their last time. I do not want nor need a light, a laser or any other hindrance for my defense. I can point/shoot and can easily hit center mass at the 5-6 ft distance; as said before, all I need is that little bit of ambient light and I surely know where I am in reference to that door. IMO, as you say donking, the light and the laser just tell the BGs where I am and it is to my advantage that I know where I am and they do not. Hey--whatever grabs you and if it works for some, especially members who find it necessary to "sweep the house" or somehow have to investigate in pitch black surroundings, have at it. To me and what I consider home defense in my home with my abilities and my plan of defense, a laser and/or a light is just some expensive and even time consuming "furniture" for my firearm that I do not require or need.
    you sir are one of the few who know of what they speak.

  8. #17
    In the situation of kelcarry I am in complete agreement. You have a defensive position and it would be stupid to leave it or have anything on you or your gun that gives away your location. Even in almost pitch dark circumstances you really only need to know where the door is located because it gives you a single narrow location of where the BG has to be if he is coming after you. On top of that the door is locked so they basically have to announce to you that they are standing right in the door way while trying to get through the door. In situations like this I am in complete agreement about the use of lights; I have always considered lasers to be a bit useless.

    I am wanting to take a home defense shotgun course some time soon and maybe that will answer some of my concerns. The situation above is ideal to perfect in regards to home defense. My situation is much different since I have kids upstairs. I have told the kids if anything is to happen besides a fire they should stay upstairs until I come up there. If a window breaks and an alarm goes off in the middle of the night they are kids and I'm not too sure how they will react. I can't fire my gun without knowing 100% that I'm not pointing my gun at one of my children. I like the idea of a light with a strobe effect.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    north east Iowa
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    if you are not alert when you first wake up keeping a gun right next to you is incredibly foolish, the light and laser do not make you any more alert, you are a tragedy waiting to happen
    This isn't what I said. I do know my own house and do lock the bedroom door. But very rural areas can be extremely dark when compared with suburban areas where there are street lights or even ambient light from a populated area within 20 or 30 miles. I feel a tactical light is helpful because I would never fire at a target unless it was positively identified. No one ever suggested that a light was a substitute for being alert. And I didn't say hung over, groggy, or stupid. But if you are immediately alert upon being awakened you must be a very rare and special person, in fact a medical anomaly. At least I feel there is necessity of clearly identifying a threat before talking any action.

    If I misinterpreted your post I'll apologize in advance. I normally try to thoroughly understand a post before making a reply. And I usually try very hard to not make a reply in any way insulting to the person making the post.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you sir are one of the few who know of what they speak.
    There is a reason there are so few of you who you think "think right." Meanwhile, millions of gun owners use lights and lasers effectively.

    Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by buckey01 View Post
    This isn't what I said. I do know my own house and do lock the bedroom door. But very rural areas can be extremely dark when compared with suburban areas where there are street lights or even ambient light from a populated area within 20 or 30 miles. I feel a tactical light is helpful because I would never fire at a target unless it was positively identified. No one ever suggested that a light was a substitute for being alert. And I didn't say hung over, groggy, or stupid. But if you are immediately alert upon being awakened you must be a very rare and special person, in fact a medical anomaly. At least I feel there is necessity of clearly identifying a threat before talking any action.

    If I misinterpreted your post I'll apologize in advance. I normally try to thoroughly understand a post before making a reply. And I usually try very hard to not make a reply in any way insulting to the person making the post.
    who wrote this? but when something awakens me in the middle of the night I tend not to be as alert as I normally am.
    and because I am not 100% alert upon waking up I keep my shottie 12 steps from the bed, I understand and deal with my human shortcomings
    I stand by my comment because you admit to not being alert upon being awakened abruptly and the fact that you keep a gun within reach of your bed is a tragedy waiting to occur, be wise my friend and be aware of and deal with your shortcomings

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast