Light or Laser mounted to a HD Gun?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light or Laser mounted to a HD Gun?

1. Light or Laser mounted to a HD Gun?

Would you rather have a light or a laser mounted to your home defense pistol?

I have a G22 as my home defense gun and I have a rail light and I also have a laser. They are two separate units. I am trying to decide which one I should put on my gun. Both the light and laser have their own rails so I could mount one to the other and have them both on my gun but that doesn't sound very practical to me. Two separate controls and it just looks wierd!

The laser is nice but if I ever have to move through the house at night to get to the kids I would need a flash light. The problem I see here is the left hand (flashlight) and the right hand (trigger finger) pointing in two different directions. If the flashlight is pointing at the threat but the gun is pointing somewhere else I can see where the trigger finger might squeeze thinking its on target when it's really the flashlight on target not the gun.

Ideally, I combo light/laser in the same unit would be my best option, but I don't have funds to go out and buy one of those right now. I need to use what I have in the mean time. I think I'm leaning towards the flashlight. It would light my way and give me a general idea of where rounds will hit because it does have a focused beam but still enough of a flood to light up rooms.

So what do you use/recommend and why? Would you mount them both?

I have a Viridian C series light/laser combo on my home defense weapon. With the simple touch of a button using my support hand index finger I can switch between laser, light or a combination of both. For me it gives a little bit of extra reassurance if things go bump in the middle of the might and you are awakened from a deep sleep.

THE REAL CAPTAIN JACK Guest
    I use the Viridian X5L on all of my weapons . It also has both, but if you have to choose between one of them, go with the flashlight it will be more practical

GUN CARRYING AMERICAN PATRIOT!!!!

I agree, the flashlight on the rail is more practical.

Though, I'm not really a fan of panning a loaded handgun around in order to see what's happening, the flashlight, if used at the right moment will distract and possible disorient an intruder long enough to get the upper hand.

rail mounted tac light with strobe.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Neither. I'd rather have a separate flashlight that I can point and orient without pointing my muzzle at what I want to look at.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Wisdom of using laser/light

As a newbie in the HD arena, I question the wisdom of using a laser or flashlight, either as an attachment to or independent of the firearm. My thought is that, while I certainly would like the ability to see the intruder better, the laser/flashlight from my end simply gives the intruder a mark on my location. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by donking View Post
    As a newbie in the HD arena, I question the wisdom of using a laser or flashlight, either as an attachment to or independent of the firearm. My thought is that, while I certainly would like the ability to see the intruder better, the laser/flashlight from my end simply gives the intruder a mark on my location. Any thoughts?
    you sir are one of the few who thought this issue through to a proper conclusion, lights and lasers are crutches, akin to training wheels.

I understand the idea behind not having a light mounted on a weapon. Currently I don't have a light attached to my HD 870. I have a separate flashlight in my closet next to my guns. The Remington 870 is not exactly a lite weapon and it is a pump. How do you go about carrying the 870 and a flashlight in your hand? If you fire the weapon then how do you pump the action to chamber another round while still holding a flashlight? I have 4 kids upstairs, a wife and a dog in the house so I'm not going around my house and firing at something that I can't clearly make out what it is. The more I think about the process of carrying a shotgun and a light the more I am changing my mind about having a light attached to my HD shotgun.

I have a light/leaser combo on my S&W M&P next to the bed. I have considered that the BG could simply fire at the light or laser source. I'm normally a good shot; but when something awakens me in the middle of the night I tend not to be as alert as I normally am. I also live on a farm where there are no street lights or any source of light but the moon. Rural areas are extremely dark and I would need to have to have a light to distinguish any target. So the decision is a compromise. I also would want to be absolutely sure of my target. I live alone but the kids do have a key to the house. It wouldn't be good to shoot a family member or pet. So while not ideal, it seems to be a logical choice in my case. Everyone needs to make a choice based on their own circumstances.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast