Green vs Red laser sights?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green vs Red laser sights?

1. Green vs Red laser sights?

I am a relatively new gun owner. I purchased a Glock 19 for target shooting and home defence. I want to get a laser but there are so many options... can someone give me the Cliff's notes on what I should consider?

Crimson Trace, red or green. The red works fine for me at home. However, the green is easier to see in all light situations and surroundings.

Green is easier to see in brighter lighting situations but it's also easier for the BG to see. I personally use red because I only need it at night. I never train with the laser other than to check to make sure it's zeroed where I want it. I swap out the factory sights for high visibility sights that work well in low light conditions.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol & Personal Defense in the Home)
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

5. Basically green is more visible in more lighting conditions, ie daytime, than a red laser. However, green lasers generally go through batteries much quicker and are not as durable as red lasers. They are usually more expensive also.

Green does have its benefits but in my opinion red is the better choice for most circumstances.

Hi-vis sites, no laser here.
    Practice point and shoot from 25' and closer. It's more than likely what you'd have to use if you're attacked.
    Summer hobby is boating on the Bay and Lake Michigan.
    Winter hobby is driving that Jeep off the sides of mountains.

I have a red laser on my Smith snubby that I would consider using in low light conditions. There are benifits to laser sights: 1) you don't have to place your handgun in front of your face to make a accurate shot, you can hold your handgun away from your body, in nearly any position, 2) if you need to hold someone under the cover of your weapon it is much easier with a laser sight because you don't need to concentrate on sight placement, 3) there is an intimidation factor when someone is aware that a laser dot is on their chest. Lasers will give away your position, are not 100% reliable, and depend on batteries, but have a place in certain conditions. A laser sight is also a good dry fire training aid, your sights are used for aiming, the laser shows what happens when you pull the trigger. I think of my laser as a secondary sighting system, when it may be a better option than point and shoot or placing my head behind the sights. My standard carry is my Glock with night sites, so I usually don't have the laser option, but I do believe there is a place for lasers.

8. Thanks... lots of helpful information

Personally I'm a fan of green lasers, but here's the difference:
    Red is cheaper.
    Green is more visible in daylight and at longer distances, in part due to the human eye's visible light spectrum being most sensitive to yellow-green bands.
    Note: green lasers are red lasers with a series of filters to turn the light green by shifting it's wavelength. There are no true green weapon-mounted lasers.

I have several red lasers, mostly Crimson Trace grip panel based, a red CT LaserGuard and one red LaserMax attached to the trigger guard. I also have a rail-mounted green laser (LaserMax - LMS-UNI-G). I wish they were all green, and hope to replace them as more green lasers become available in spite of the price difference between green and red.

CT recalled/replaced two of my lasers due to design flaws, at no charge. They automatically sent a replacement laser as soon as they became available, based on my warranty registration info, no questions asked. Of course I wish CT didn't have so many recalls. I haven't had any issues with my LaserMax lasers.

As others have said, red lasers aren't usable if there is much ambient light, but my green laser is bright as heck and readily visible out to 30+ feet in fairly bright daylight, using a medium gray tree as a test target. Regarding battery life - the batteries on my lasers will last longer than a dozen or two gun fights, and the batteries aren't too expensive to replace if you accidentally leave the laser on overnight. I check my lasers for operation every time I pick up a gun, and I also make sure to check them regularly.

Another tip - it helps if you only have to stock one or two different battery types for your "shelf supplies". I think CT is still offering free "batteries for life" if you buy a new laser, but I'm not sure of the details. I keep a half-dozen or so on the shelf, and they have a long shelf life if you buy a name brand.

I hope my comments are helpful. YMMV.

Good luck with your purchase!
    Last edited by PC1; 10-24-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: minor editing

Green vs Red laser sights?

For low light applications I always preferred a tactical flashlight. It will help illuminate your target and a good light will help to disorient the target giving you more time. It is obviously a method that requires practice. I find them more effective than a laser. As Gb-Boater stated practice point shooting, as a matter of personal opinion it's probably what you're going to be using in a SD situation as opposed to aiming a laser.
    Guns.??? What Guns???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast