Need help with long gun choice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with long gun choice

1. Need help with long gun choice

I have a couple of rifles that were passed down from my grandfather that I have been packing around and storing for many years. When I got them out and cleaned them to take them out and shoot, I found that they donít make ammo for one of them anymore and the other is very expensive. I have a Remington Model 8 that shoots a .30 Remington cartridge and a 30-40 Krag. I also have my 30-30 Winchester that I carried on my saddle for some time. This gun is a good short range rifle but don't trust it for any distance.
    What Iím asking is opinions on a caliber that wonít break the bank and still be a good game rifle? I think it would be important that it be available in the future, if any ammo will be available in the future, (another subject altogether).
    Any feedback will be appreciated.

I'm kind of old fashioned but my favorites for most larger game found in the U.S. are .270 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield. They are still very popular cartridges, easy to find (even with today's problems), have been around for many years and are popular enough to remain in common use. They are good medium to long range cartridges and powerful enough to bring down most game in the continental U.S. In the event of a societal meltdown they can be found almost everywhere. The recoil on both cartridges is more than your .30-30 but quite tolerable for most normal sized adults. Prices very considerably for different loads but are usually in the $25 to $40 range for 20 cartridges. This is just personal opinion. I'm not an expert but I have been a hunter and gun enthusiast for over 50 years.

4. Your 30-30 is good to over 100 yd. I used one in Vt for years on deer. was told it was good for brown bear but my be not on black bear.

Need help with long gun choice

I'd look at a .308. Plenty to handle about all North America has to offer and plentiful too.
    Guns.??? What Guns???

6. I agree with bucky01 on the .270 or .30-06 .when it comes to rifle brand. Buy based on personal preference and your budget. You can get good rifles from low priced to very expensive.

Personally I like the 308. Extremely accurate, has good range- target 800 to 1000 yards. Hunting- 300 to 500(that's me anyway some guys say further) and a joy to shoot. Will say you can't go wrong with the 30-06 either. Both should take care of you in North America.
    FUNNY HOW PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT THE TRUTH AS LONG AS IT'S WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR

8. .270, .30-06, and .308 are all good large game choices and can be found (if you shop around) for decent prices. But don't ever give up that Winchester; there is no more dependable, take-a-bootin'-and-keep-on-shootin' rifle around. Yes, you easily get 100 yds with it. Just take the time to sight it in right. Even though I have other, fancier choices, I still often opt to take my 50 year old Model 94 out. I just can't leave it alone. (BTW, if you scout the ranges you find plenty of brass to reload for your Remington and Krag. It's about the only way to keep them shooting without going broke).

Your choice is going to depend on the type of hunting you are going to do. Are you going to be hunting in thick timber, across an open field or pasture. Will your shots be under 100 yards or reaching out to 250, 300 yards or further? Brush hunting will call up your 30-30, a 45-70, open pasture and fields your .270, 30-06, will better serve your purpose. A .308 caliber serve both of these extremes. The choice is yours. Good luck and enjoy!

I just wanted to say that even though I recommended the .270 and".30-06, I also have a Winchester 94 in .30-30 with a 4 power scope that I bought new in the early 80s. At distances of between 50 and100 yards it is far more than adequate. Ammunition is cheaper and the rifle is lighter than the other two. This rifle was made for more than a century and is still one of the finest and best designed rifles ever made. If I was limited to only two hunting guns it would be my LC Smith side by side 20 ga. and the Winchester 94. And I know that if society collapses these two firearms would protect my family and also feed us, as they did for countless pioneers in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by trucker View Post
    Your 30-30 is good to over 100 yd. I used one in Vt for years on deer. was told it was good for brown bear but my be not on black bear.
    Are you sure you don't have your bears mixed up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast