Two school shootings this week.... - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Two school shootings this week....

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by superprincess View Post
    I agree it is a basic responsibility of the school district, but as you can see the districts aren't doing such a great job. Ideas need to be generated for schools to come up with a solution to this issue. I still stand by my idea, so far I haven't heard any better ideas. Pretty sure every single teacher is not going to carry a weapon, even if given the permission.
    Being a parent means making sacrifices for your child. My example of cable is just an example. A parent can provide for the school security payment, any way they wish. A small payment each month shouldn’t make that much difference, when you consider how many families will be paying for the security. You know what they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. We all know providing schools is the right thing to do, for the communities. Taxpayers have done this and are still continuing to build schools. For instance, the Sandy Hook building is being demolished and being replaced with a new one. Let’s hope it has a security system set in place to protect everyone in the school. Our taxpayers are overburdened as it is with the national debt. Did I read your post correctly? Should we keep adding additional expenses? Could the request of top-notch school security do what PPACA couldn’t do, shut the government down permanently? Of course we could raise the debt ceiling a little higher.
    You don't see the contradictions in your own argument. You argue against adding expense to overburdened taxpayers, yet you have no trouble telling those same taxpayers that they have to ante up to pay for increased security.

MY idea, on the other hand, is in line with what Constitutional Constructionists, Tea Partiers, and all other proponents of small, responsible government have called for all along - FORCING schools to live within their means and prioritize their spending. Before taking on new projects, be sure that your current obligations are being met. Security of students, faculty and staff is at the top of that list. You pay for THOSE things first. If that means putting off a new pet project or upgrading your fleet of lease vehicles for administrators (they have their own vehicles, anyway) for a few months or years, then that's what you do - the same kinds of decisions WE as citizens have to make all the time.

And yes, you also take advantage of the willingness of those teachers/faculty/staff who desire to carry on the job - or even community volunteers - to pay for their own training to supplement what the school district is OBLIGATED to provide.

I agree that school districts have not done a good job at all providing for the safety of our kids. But whose fault is that? We ELECT the people who make those decisions. Start holding them responsible for making the RIGHT decisions based on the RIGHT priorities.

But you know, adding a security tax contradicts your own argument.

Now I'M going to ask YOU a question - when was the last time YOU went to a school board meeting, or even sent an email, demanding your school district to get its priorities straight? You may not have kids in school, but you LIVE in the community. You have a vested interest in what happens in your schools. From what I see in your post, you want to curse the darkness while you demand that someone else lights the candle.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolClownFish View Post
    In don't think it could have been explained any better than that. Well said! You should consider speaking to the states and school boards about this because you have a unique way of wording it and it makes complete sense to me.
    Thank you. I am giving very serious consideration to running for political office here in Michigan.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    You know, I never thought of having retired vets as voluntary security at schools. What a heck of an idea, and I bet a lot of them would be more than willing to continue to serve the people. Thanks Blues.

Thinking this through, I bet there are a lot of folks who run firearm training who would be willing to offer their training to teachers if the teachers were required to go through such training to carry at school.
    If you google "soldier stands guard at child's school, you will see that there are a number of military personnel that have volunteered for this very post.

And most of the schools told them they were welcome to do so - as long as they left their weapons at home.

EDITED:

Somewhere along the line, Americans bought into the misguided notion that all we have to do is provide a show of strength/force, and all of the bad guys will cringe in fear. It's that very notion that got 200 Marines killed in the Beirut bombing. Middle East experts repeatedly warned the president that a show of force would accomplish nothing, that we either had to go all out in our involvement in Beirut or stay home. But the president knew better. The result? 200 flag draped coffins.

A show of strength/force only works for so long - and then you have to back it up, because someone ALWAYS calls your bluff eventually. As it is most people would rather feel safe than actually be safe - especially if it means that THEY might have to actually DO something.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    You know, I never thought of having retired vets as voluntary security at schools. What a heck of an idea, and I bet a lot of them would be more than willing to continue to serve the people. Thanks Blues.

Thinking this through, I bet there are a lot of folks who run firearm training who would be willing to offer their training to teachers if the teachers were required to go through such training to carry at school.
    There have been numerous firearms academies offering free training to any or a select amount of teachers (front sight offered three teachers per school). Here's an article about Texas and Ohio, but I've read about academies across the states offering these free course.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    What the hell is the world coming to?
    The End.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Everyone has the right to feel safe at work, this includes all school employees.
    I'm sorry... I must have missed that particular "Right" in this Dicument....

So strange how the anti-gun folk use that very same "Right" to push for more (and illegal!) gun control..

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    I'm sorry... I must have missed that particular "Right" in this Dicument....

So strange how the anti-gun folk use that very same "Right" to push for more (and illegal!) gun control..

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.
    This is a tough one...did God or nature not give us the ability to feel? What makes our naturally born ability to own guns any different than our naturally born ability to feel? If we don't have a Right to feel, can the government say feeling angry is illegal?

Guess I'll have to ponder this topic longer.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    This is a tough one...did God or nature not give us the ability to feel? What makes our naturally born ability to own guns any different than our naturally born ability to feel? If we don't have a Right to feel, can the government say feeling angry is illegal?

Guess I'll have to ponder this topic longer.
    I'll have to agree with that one. The Constitution does say "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness". Anybody been happy if they don't feel safe? I'd say safety is one of those reasonably happy things. The reason I say "reasonably" is because someone might argue that murdering people might make someone happy, yet a reasonable person couldn't argue that so I didn't want someone playing that card with the devil's advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    Thank you. I am giving very serious consideration to running for political office here in Michigan.
    Great idea! But seriously, I thought you were a politician. If you do run, keep in mind, there is always the option of asking parents to send a check to the school each month, to help pay for a security program. End of discussion.
    I agree, someone has to take out the trash....

ezkl2230 Guest
    End of discussion.
    Hmmm...

There's a problem here. You are laboring under the delusion that I was discussing this with you in the first place. In order for me to be discussing this with you, I would first have to accept that you were presenting a valid idea.

I don't - you didn't.

There was no discussion between you and I. I pointed out the problem with your idea. I demonstrated how security can be provided for by re-prioritizing spending. You yammered on about adding a security tax.

There was no discussion to end -- assuming that I accept your authority to proclaim a discussion ended, which I don't.

If I ever choose to run for office, I won't count on your vote.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast