Two school shootings this week.... - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Two school shootings this week....

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by superprincess View Post
    Great idea! But seriously, I thought you were a politician. If you do run, keep in mind, there is always the option of asking parents to send a check to the school each month, to help pay for a security program. End of discussion.
    ezkl2230 just got done explaining to you in this post that it would be against his (laudable) principals to ask (or force) anyone to pay more for government schools when tightening the belt in spending would free up any money needed for new security personnel/programs. Why would you attempt to get him to go against his principles, and then say "end of discussion?"

There are far too few politicians anywhere in this country who clearly state, and then stand by, sound fiscal principles, and when someone comes along who says that's what they're planning, they should be supported, encouraged and patted on the back with a healthy dose of "Atta boy," not "Screw your principles, end of discussion!"

From a little earlier in the thread, you said:

Quote Originally Posted by superprincess View Post
    ....parents should pay for the security of their children when at school. Is it going to hurt them to write a check to the school each month.
    I don't have kids, but I do own property, I do pay property taxes, those taxes do go to funding the schools in my area, and I would no more consider saying to the parents of the students of those schools, "Turn off your cable and pay the freight for security because the School District can't spend the money that all of us send it responsibly, and hey, what's it going to hurt you to pay extra?"

I'm sure no fan of the dismal tax systems quasi-functioning in this country right now, but whether or not I have kids in school, I still pay for those schools and have just as equal a say-so as those who do have kids in 'em. I stand with them. Tighten your belt, Mr. School Board Member, make the kids in your charge as secure from harm as is humanly possible, and make do with whatever you got that's left over.

ezkl2230's suggestions are highly commendable. I'll thank others not to put themselves in the position of judging who gets hurt by charges that originate from government entities (a tax by any other name is still a tax), and who doesn't. Government gets quite enough of our money. Live with it.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

3. I've been a school teacher for 20 years. Over the last year I've decided it would be a good idea for teachers to be armed. I'm 50 years old and have never owned a handgun or fired one. I just received my permit to buy a gun today. After I purchase my gun, I will be pursuing a Concealed Carry permit. I will begin to train, train and train to be a responsible gun owner. After I've been through some training and feel that I have some level of expertise, I'm going to approach the school board with the suggestion of having their teachers carry a gun. It's pretty obvious to me that our students need protection not gun laws. Why do we want to wait for another shooting in our schools. I'm a proactive teacher. I now believe that I need to be proactive towards their safety from intruders, and I'm more than willing to do whatever I can to insure their safety in my classroom and school.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I swear all these school shootings have everything to do with the way they're trying to combat violence in schools. I don't know about the schools where you live, but I know at my high school, if you got into a fight there was a good chance you were gonna be expelled. Then you pile that on top of this bullying epidemic. These kids who are being bullied are probably telling all the adults they can who aren't doing anything about it, and they're too scared to handle it themselves (by punching the kid in the face) for fear of being expelled and facing their parents. That is until they keep it bottled up for so long until they can't take it anymore that they show up for school with a 9mm or a 12ga shotgun and start blowing peoples heads off.

When the day comes that I have children of my own and they get to be old enough to have to deal with these issues at school, I'm definitely going to teach them that if someone starts bullying them, you first ask them to stop (which probably won't work). If it doesn't work, then you tell a teacher and tell them if they don't put a stop to it (because I guarantee most teachers blow it off as nothing and don't ever do anything about it) then you have permission from your parents to take care of it yourself. That should definitely get school administration's attention.

The teachers are too damn lazy to go after bullies, yet they have no probably with suspending or expelling elementary school children who innocently point their fingers in the shape of a gun or chew their pop tarts into a certain shape. What the hell is the world coming to?
    I agree with the essence of your post. However, if student A came to you and said student B was bullying him, and now you go and talk to student B and ask him if he did, and he says no, and you talk about all the different ways a student can be bullied and he still continues to say no, what do you do? You haven't seen anything. You don't wish to punish someone inadvertently. Now, let's say student B gets a lot of reports about him bullying. Now you bring in the parents. The parents ask point blank, did you see it? If you haven't then guess what.... there isn't a damned thing any teacher/principal, etc can do about it. Kids aren't stupid, they hide things, especially bullying very well. The best that can be done is to get student A counseling, but the punishment of student B can't be done without sufficient reason. Someone "saying" it happened isn't sufficient reason.

Now let's go in another direction. Let's say student A lied about student B bullying him. The school lays down the law and suspends student B for three days. Now guess what you've done? You've created a situation in which student B doesn't trust student A nor does he trust the school to ever help him out. You've actually turned a student who maybe wasn't a bully into a bully.

It's easy to spout words and say the schools don't do anything about bullying, but unless you actually witness the bullying, what can anyone do about it?

Now if this particular child that you make an example of in your post decides that "the teachers are too damned lazy" to do anything about it. My question to you after reading my post, what the hell did the parent of that child do to prevent their kid from bringing in the 9mm or 12 ga. Don't put all this on top of the teachers. The states and the school boards have effectively tied their hands when it comes to punishment.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by psalm134verse2 View Post
    I've been a school teacher for 20 years. Over the last year I've decided it would be a good idea for teachers to be armed. I'm 50 years old and have never owned a handgun or fired one. I just received my permit to buy a gun today. After I purchase my gun, I will be pursuing a Concealed Carry permit. I will begin to train, train and train to be a responsible gun owner. After I've been through some training and feel that I have some level of expertise, I'm going to approach the school board with the suggestion of having their teachers carry a gun. It's pretty obvious to me that our students need protection not gun laws. Why do we want to wait for another shooting in our schools. I'm a proactive teacher. I now believe that I need to be proactive towards their safety from intruders, and I'm more than willing to do whatever I can to insure their safety in my classroom and school.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by psalm134verse2 View Post
    I've been a school teacher for 20 years. Over the last year I've decided it would be a good idea for teachers to be armed. I'm 50 years old and have never owned a handgun or fired one. I just received my permit to buy a gun today. After I purchase my gun, I will be pursuing a Concealed Carry permit. I will begin to train, train and train to be a responsible gun owner. After I've been through some training and feel that I have some level of expertise, I'm going to approach the school board with the suggestion of having their teachers carry a gun. It's pretty obvious to me that our students need protection not gun laws. Why do we want to wait for another shooting in our schools. I'm a proactive teacher. I now believe that I need to be proactive towards their safety from intruders, and I'm more than willing to do whatever I can to insure their safety in my classroom and school.
    Best wishes to you. You are a friend to education and to the 2nd Amendment. I have gone down this route with my own school district, to no avail..... yet!

I will continue to advocate for the safety of our children in our schools. May you do the same. My hat is off to you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

ezkl2230 Guest
    BTW, for the record, I am not a politician, I have never been elected to public office. I was on staff as a legislative researcher in the MI House of Reps at one time. Now I sell guns for a national sporting goods company.

Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    BTW, for the record, I am not a politician, I have never been elected to public office. I was on staff as a legislative researcher in the MI House of Reps at one timd. Now I sell guns for a national sporting goods company.
    You should do a raffle that anyone that has over 1500 likes should get a free firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    This is a tough one...did God or nature not give us the ability to feel? What makes our naturally born ability to own guns any different than our naturally born ability to feel? If we don't have a Right to feel, can the government say feeling angry is illegal?

Guess I'll have to ponder this topic longer.

The Anti-Gun crowd uses the same argument. They have a right to not be in fear of average people carrying guns.
    They (The Brady Camp, Mom's Demand Action etc) say that their fear of guns trumps any right of gun owners.
    I don't agree with them. I don't agree with any comment by anyone that puts Fear of an Object above my Second Amendment Right to protect myself and my loved ones.
    My post was not a philosophic post.
    "Your Right" to feel safe disappeared Long Ago. Look at the violence we have. The immense cruelty that one can can visit upon another. If you think you have a right to be safe, you are going to have an uphill battle. Hell.. The Police can't defend you! They don't even have an obligation to help you at all!
    Human nature is violent. It's deplorable. It's vile and one needs to take measures to protect yourself.
    Does one "right" supersede another? Why is one right placed in the bill of rights while one is a preamble?
    Does the majorities desire trump an individual desire?
    We live in a Constitutional Republic where my rights are equal and protected from the masses.
    I see in the Bill of Rights my ability written down on parchment proclaiming my individual right to self defense from those who may seek to do me harm be it fellow mankind or from my Government. Specifically spelled out as such. I don't see anywhere else about ones right to live free from the "fear of" my guns.
    FEAR is an emotion. You can't legislate emotion and if you could... Our "loving government" would have done so Decades ago!
    Emotions have gotten more people killed than I can count. Emotions are primal, visceral and personal. We don't live on Planet Vulcan and as yet, we as a whole have not dispensed with emotion in our daily life.
    Let's not dwell on the irrational. The Fear of an object that has zero power on its own. I refuse to live my life like that.

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    The Anti-Gun crowd uses the same argument. They have a right to not be in fear of average people carrying guns.
    They (The Brady Camp, Mom's Demand Action etc) say that their fear of guns trumps any right of gun owners.
    I don't agree with them. I don't agree with any comment by anyone that puts Fear of an Object above my Second Amendment Right to protect myself and my loved ones.
    My post was not a philosophic post.
    "Your Right" to feel safe disappeared Long Ago. Look at the violence we have. The immense cruelty that one can can visit upon another. If you think you have a right to be safe, you are going to have an uphill battle. Hell.. The Police can't defend you! They don't even have an obligation to help you at all!
    Human nature is violent. It's deplorable. It's vile and one needs to take measures to protect yourself.
    Does one "right" supersede another? Why is one right placed in the bill of rights while one is a preamble?
    Does the majorities desire trump an individual desire?
    We live in a Constitutional Republic where my rights are equal and protected from the masses.
    I see in the Bill of Rights my ability written down on parchment proclaiming my individual right to self defense from those who may seek to do me harm be it fellow mankind or from my Government. Specifically spelled out as such. I don't see anywhere else about ones right to live free from the "fear of" my guns.
    FEAR is an emotion. You can't legislate emotion and if you could... Our "loving government" would have done so Decades ago!
    Emotions have gotten more people killed than I can count. Emotions are primal, visceral and personal. We don't live on Planet Vulcan and as yet, we as a whole have not dispensed with emotion in our daily life.
    Let's not dwell on the irrational. The Fear of an object that has zero power on its own. I refuse to live my life like that.

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.
    Your Right to bear arms was lost long ago right along with your Right to feel. All Rights are important.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Your Right to bear arms was lost long ago right along with your Right to feel. All Rights are important.
    Then by God, we TAKE them back!

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast