Rifle Ammo Differences

Thread: Rifle Ammo Differences

Rifle Ammo Differences

Today over lunch I took my 336 Marlin chambered in .35 Rem to the range to make sure the scope is sighted in properly. First I used some Remington Core-Lokt which has the rounded tip and after some adjustments had the scope dialed in pretty good. Then I tried some Hornandy LEVERelution with the soft pointed tip on a new target. I plan on using the Hornandy for hunting this weekend. I placed 3 shots at the bulls eye but all 3 rounds went about 3 inches to the left. Those 3 rounds were in a nice group just left of center. I then adjusted the scope and fired two rounds both of which touched the center circle around the bulls eye.

I'm fairly new to this. I grew up with guns and have always been a decent shot but never had to worry about sighting in a scope, worrying about the type of ammo or the grain. I can understand the bullets hitting above or below center but I'm baffled as to why the rifled sighted in good with the Remington would shoot left of center with the Hornandy. After my first shot went about 3 inches left of center I thought I must be doing something for it to be that far off. The second shot I made sure to focus a lot more and really get a good shot. This second bullet was almost touching the first.

Any thoughts?

Paul,
    Every round you shoot will affect your rifle in a different way. Even match grade rounds that are almost identical. Change the type of primer, power, casing, or bullet and you will change how that energy acts upon your rifle. If you could see a microscopic slow motion video of your barrel you would see how that pulse of energy vibrates your barrel. Different frequencies will send your bullet in different directions. The trick is to use the ammunition that vibrates your rifle the same way each time. There are many variables that affect the point of impact of a bullet and it would take volumes to explain the physics, all of which are beyond my abilities. This is my generalized vision of the process.