What is the best shotgun ammo for home defense? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the best shotgun ammo for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by fudo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    #4 buck gives you more than enough to stop anyone with a "coverage spray" of pellets that do not require exact aim and use of the shotgun
    This is nonsense. In the average room - 20-25'- a shot column will average less than 4" spread. A defensive use of a 12 ga. riot gun will miss the target more often than not, if exact aim is not used.
    This misconception is scarily common, especially among libs. I was having a conversation a while back about "assault rifles" with one of my uber-liberal cousins who was making the Biden "just buy a shotgun" argument, because "you don't even have to aim." I didn't know what to say so I just shook my head. You can quote facts and numbers to them all day and it still doesn't stick.

I did not realize we have such "experts" on shotguns. Do this, don't do that--if you don't agree, call them uninformed fools--wonderful advice from these "experts", especially when you put words into others' replies. I know what I will use and I have used it at the range at my prescribed and planned distances in my bedroom at 5-7 ft (not 25 ft--as if that is some kind of distance for home defense using a shotgun) and I have left a pretty good hurt in synthetic board on a target with #4 buck that will ensure that I do lesser damage to my surroundings. All buck and slugs at my planned distances will surprise and stop a BG in my home; we are now talking about, in at least my case, about stopping vs collateral damage. My choice came from articles by real experts and FBI reports that detailed spread and penetration at varied distances with varied shotgun shell including all buck and birdshot. My "experts" and my "target shooting" testing cause me to stand by my #4 buck for what I need to protect myself in my situation and unless the "experts" on this forum thread care to refer to convincing test results instead of just their "Joe Biden" and other insults, try behaving like a responsible member instead of a boorish know-it-all. "Show me the beef", as the ad used to say and I will read it and reconsider my choices. Cannot or will not but can only criticize with strident comments tells me you are not worth listening to. Instead of further sarcasm, try informing all of us and maybe some of us will listen.

4. Don't expect much pattern spread at in-home distances. Counter to what many think and what is shown in movies/TV, shotgun patterns at 15-20' are coffee cup/saucer size. I would suggest using a low recoil buckshot which is more controllable while still adequately powerful for the very short distances. Also, in my experience, a load of shot(any size shot) at 12-15' is very destructive to soft tissue. At 10', #4 birdshot will destroy a cow's skull. How could it not pound a bad guy into mush? The physics of 1 ounce of shot at 1200fps striking a soft target speak for themselves.

What is the best shotgun ammo for home defense?

Old faithful 00 Buck. Can't go wrong
    FUNNY HOW PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT THE TRUTH AS LONG AS IT'S WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR

I am not a shotgun expert by any means, but my understanding is that shot spread is about 1" per every yard traveled. Here is some interesting info on shotgun myths:

No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

7. I use #1 Buck.
    I actually went out and tested my HD shotgun with various buckshot loads from #4's to 000 to find out what the gun shot best at the maximum range it could possibly be shot inside my home and found that my particular 21" Remington 1100 patterns #1 buck best. Federal's 2 3/4" plated 20 ball is the first choice with the unplated 16 ball Winchester and Remington being the alternates. The Winchester 16 ball actually patterns a tiny bit tighter than the Federal but not enough, in my opinion, to give up a 25% increase in shotload.

I keep it with a full mag (7 rounds with the Scattergun Technologies extended mag tube) and an empty chamber in the closet. It also has 6 more #1 buck on the sidesaddle, 2 more buck in the two shot carrier on the inboard side of the butt stock and 2 Remington 1 oz slugs in the outboard shell carrier. The rifle sights on the barrel are zeroed to the slugs @50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I did not realize we have such "experts" on shotguns. Do this, don't do that--if you don't agree, call them uninformed fools--wonderful advice from these "experts", especially when you put words into others' replies. I know what I will use and I have used it at the range at my prescribed and planned distances in my bedroom at 5-7 ft (not 25 ft--as if that is some kind of distance for home defense using a shotgun) and I have left a pretty good hurt in synthetic board on a target with #4 buck that will ensure that I do lesser damage to my surroundings. All buck and slugs at my planned distances will surprise and stop a BG in my home; we are now talking about, in at least my case, about stopping vs collateral damage. My choice came from articles by real experts and FBI reports that detailed spread and penetration at varied distances with varied shotgun shell including all buck and birdshot. My "experts" and my "target shooting" testing cause me to stand by my #4 buck for what I need to protect myself in my situation and unless the "experts" on this forum thread care to refer to convincing test results instead of just their "Joe Biden" and other insults, try behaving like a responsible member instead of a boorish know-it-all. "Show me the beef", as the ad used to say and I will read it and reconsider my choices. Cannot or will not but can only criticize with strident comments tells me you are not worth listening to. Instead of further sarcasm, try informing all of us and maybe some of us will listen.
    Somebody touch a nerve? You are not the only one who reads articles. I read this thread again and I did not see any ad hominum attacks. I patterned my SD shotgun at 10-30 feet. I assume that my 12 ga. is roughly equivalent to everybody else's 12ga. If you were honest, rather than defensive, you could pattern your shotgun at the ranges available inside your house. I believe that you would see that aiming accurately is necessary because depending on luck is counter productive. I have treated a few gunshot wounds in my time, and I treated a guy who got hit with 3 rounds of 00 buckshot from 2 feet. Other than a punctured lung, he was only briefly incapacitated. He walked to the cop car in handcuffs.That guy's leather MC jacket stopped 6 of the 00 pellets. Having seen that, I always choose the most effective round I can get. I like the Winchester PDX1 in my Ithaca 37.
    As far a range goes, I have more than 5-7 feet of range in my bathroom. I have 40 or more feet of range in my home at a number of different angles, and my house is just average size.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I am not a shotgun expert by any means, but my understanding is that shot spread is about 1" per every yard traveled. Here is some interesting info on shotgun myths:

GlassWolf - great video, thanks for sharing.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

I don'r recall if that video mentioned this, but if you have a shotgun with a rifled barrel, do NOT use shot in it. I've seen shot patterns froma rifled shotgun barrel and they are horrid. At something around 10-15', birdshot didn't have a single hit on a man-sized target. The shot went everywhere but where it was aimed. If you want to use slugs and shot, either use a rifled slug, or a rifled choke with a shooth barrel bore.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    I use #1 Buck.
    Same load I use. Best compromise for power and penetration vs. overpenetration in my book. I have family members and dogs/cat that may be on the other side of sheetrock walls.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast