What is the best shotgun ammo for home defense? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is the best shotgun ammo for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I am not a shotgun expert by any means, but my understanding is that shot spread is about 1" per every yard traveled. Here is some interesting info on shotgun myths:

Great video. However that 1" per yard statistic is a very, very crude average. I've shot multiple brands of 00 of my Mossberg 930 and they pattern very differently depending on shell design. Winchester SuperX patterns large about 1.5-2" per yard in my gun. The Winchester military-issue shells (can't remember their designation) patterns at about 1" per yard. The Hornady Tap that I've selected for use in my gun shoots much tighter at about 1" per 3 yards out to 25yds before it starts spreading out. As far as I can tell, it's because of the wadding. The Hornady TAP has a much deeper cup keeping the pellets together father from the muzzle whereas the winchester uses much shallower cups. Personally, I'm confident enough in my ability to be able to hit someone with a long gun at the short ranges inside my house that I want to make sure all pellets land on target which is why I went with the TAP.

For those not familiar, this is the Winchester PDX1 "Defender". Best of both worlds.
    What is the best shotgun ammo for home defense?-s12pdx1_loaded_round_cutaway_thumbnail.pngWhat is the best shotgun ammo for home defense?-s12pdx1_shot_dispersion_thumbnail.png
    Chief

I think the point about spread was that shotguns don't automatically spread out to a 10' radius and kill everything in visual range from 10' away, like the movies would have some people believe.
    Heck, the advantage is a tight group is that the more pellets or shot that hit the target, the more the force is multiplied. Each shot pellet is traveling on a different vector, which is what makes shot so effective when you hit your target with everything it's got.
    Thanks for clarifying the spread patterns, though. I have the least experience with shotguns between those, handgun, and rifle. I'm not a hunter, and really just qualified and carried a shotgun for work, but never had much cause to use it.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Home defense is dependent upon many things.
    Consider this... how far is the longest range within your domicile?
    Probably a hallway?
    Maybe the living/dining/kitchen great room?
    Either way it does not matter because you are now so close that the shotgun pellets/buckshot are going to be moving as one fluid mass until they strike the intended target.
    This will in effect most likely take ALL the fight out of the perpetrator.
    If it does not you have far bigger problems and you are definitely going to need a follow up shot.

Personally i chose a Mossberg 500, 18.5 inch BBL, using #4 shot, high brass, full power 2 3/4 inch shells.
    Last edited by festus; 10-29-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: sp
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Home defense is dependent upon many things.
    Consider this... how far is the longest range within your domicile?
    Probably a hallway?
    Maybe the living/dining/kitchen great room?
    Either way it does not matter because you are now so close that the shotgun pellets/buckshot are going to be moving as one fluid mass until they strike the intended target.
    This will in effect most likely take ALL the fight out of the perpetrator.
    If it does not you have far bigger problems and you are definitely going to need a follow up shot.

Personally i chose a Mossberg 500, 18.5 inch BBL, using #4 shot, high brass, full power 2 3/4 inch shells.
    +1!

There are numerous errors in the OP's statement like saying there is about 20 pellets in #4 or 5 buckshot. Really? Standard 12ga 2 3/4" #4 buckshot contains 41 pellets and to my knowledge no one makes a 12 #5 buckshot.

Anywho.............

At a distance of 10' your shot load is not going to spread and will be a solid mass, just starting to separate from the wading, so it really doesn't matter matter if it's a 1 1/2oz load of #4 shot or "OO". Both have the same basic mass and velocity. Of course you would not want to use regular birdshot like a 1 1/8oz load of #8's because they do not have enough individual mass for a longer distance shot of 25' but at point blank range they will work.

Here's a few pics:

The gun used is a Winchester Defender 12ga 18.5" barrel with a improved cylinder RemChoke choke tube.

Pic of shotgun:

I used a old washing machine to "test" a few loads.

Federal Hi-Power #4 @ 15'

Inside of tub:

This load easily shot through the 16ga (.065") outer shell and still blew a hole through the 14ga ( .083" ) thick tub.

After going through both the outer shell and the tub, this load also shot through a piece of 7/16" OSB.

Kent #5 @ 10'

Rem Express "OO" @ 30'

Only 3 pellets out of 12 made it through both the shell and the tub and through the far side of the tub.

Rem low brass #8 @ 15'

Based on the results from my "science project" and many years of killing things with a shotgun, at point blank range even low brass birdshot is deadly.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

What is the best shotgun ammo for home defense?
    It's whatever you have at hand when needed.
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

A lot of people using a pump action shotgun for home defense, particularly the 12 gauge, may never have to worry about the load they're using. There's just something unmistakeably intimidating about the sound of racking a shell into the chamber of a 12 gauge shotgun. Even cops regularly talk about how that sound can instantly defuse a confrontation all by itself. Statistically, most firearms used in defense situations are never fired, but there's lots of anecdotal evidence to suggest that that phenomena is far more prevalent when 12 gauge pump action shotguns are used for self defense. Don't rely on the sound alone to save your butt of course, but any help in your defense without having to fire is definitely a good benefit.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

12 gauge pump on my side and a 20 on mamas side both short as law allows, they never leave our home and both loaded with #4 buck, its just her and I and in the event of there use I doubt any pellets are going through brick and get outside
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

I have a proposal to modify the "rack the shotgun to scare the hell out of the bad guy so he will run away" approach. Yell loudly "here I am" and then see if you have sufficient time to respond. Just sayen.

I simply use number 8. At 25 yards the pattern is still quite tight. If I am off a little bit with number 8 I am still going to get some pellets in the bad guy...enough to make him wish he was still outside reconsidering breaking in to my home. If I have to take a second shot we are talking a few milliseconds to pump another round into the chamber. I also keep a variety of loaded handguns strategically placed throughout the house. Never hurts to be prepared in any room of the house. If they want to have a gun fight outside I just uncase the AR. If they want a long distance gunfight I just bring down the 30 30 or 30-06.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast