Laws for Firearms: Best States for Gun Owners in 2013 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laws for Firearms: Best States for Gun Owners in 2013

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    This is the post I just left in the link's Comments Section:

I have been anxiously awaiting this year's ratings because my state (Alabama) implemented a new set of gun laws that did three very significant things for gun owners; converted from "May Issue" to "Shall Issue," clarified restrictions on law enforcement that makes open carry much easier and less risky for those who engage in the practice (there are no specific "exceptions" as our state's rating picture indicates), and we now accept EVERY other states' permit. There were also other changes, but those are the most significant.

It appears to me that the rating for Alabama was simply copied from last year's ratings, with only a "7" for "CCW/Open Carry" and a "47" overall. We should be tied for 1st with a "49" it would seem to me. In fact, with Constitutional Carry now the law in AZ, we should be tied for 2nd with only one point deducted for our permission slip requirement for concealed carry. Our SYG and CD laws are as strong as any in the nation. We have NO duty to inform unless asked by a LEO in an official contact. Our protections regarding OC are:

§13A-11-7(c) says "(c) It shall be a rebuttable presumption that the mere carrying of a visible pistol, holstered or secured, in a public place, in and of itself, is not a violation of this section." You may still be questioned by a law enforcement officer who is "fishing" to find out if you are a prohibited
    person. According to §15-5-30 LEO must have "Reasonable Articulable Suspicion" of a crime or Probable Cause in order to question you. §15-5-31 will allow a LEO to disarm you during a stop - but only if §15-5-30 has first been met to make the stop lawful. A CC license/permit is needed to "Conceal on or about the person" or to transport in a vehicle loaded/accessible.

Maybe next legislative session we can get to #1 by instituting Constitutional Carry, but for now, we should be tied for 1st unless at least one state gets a clean "50" for having 10s in all categories except "CCW/Open Carry" when they should not have had one point deducted in that category. If that happened, then we should be tied for 2nd.

Thanks for your time.
    Apparently, I am not alone in disagreeing vehemently with their rankings. Like I said above, it looks to me that they just copied and pasted last year's ratings.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Many states earn a "7" on CCW/Open carry.

How?

TN, permit required to OC = 7
    SC, FL, TX, there is NO open carry = 7
    NC, no permit required to OC = 7
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Many states earn a "7" on CCW/Open carry.

How?

TN, permit required to OC = 7
    SC, FL, TX, there is NO open carry = 7
    NC, no permit required to OC = 7
    Bama got a "7" in that rating and doesn't qualify for deductions under any of those premises. I'm guessing NC has some other issue that they got a point or two deducted for (like purchase permit requirements maybe?). It says in the description that the reason for the 7 in Bama was because we weren't a Shall Issue state (we are now) and that OC had "exceptions" which never existed statutorily even before the new law went into effect on August 21 of this year strengthening OC rights.

That was pretty much my point - There is no rationale under which a state should get the same rating in a given category as the states you list here when the state in question does not require a permit to OC, and there is fully legal OC (and always has been - the only deviation was in LE's enforcement policies).
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

And for some reason I thought that California and New Jersey were worse than NY! Must need to get my eyes checked!

God Bless Arizona
    I may have been born yesterday, BUT, I didn't live all day for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Bama got a "7" in that rating and doesn't qualify for deductions under any of those premises. I'm guessing NC has some other issue that they got a point or two deducted for (like purchase permit requirements maybe?). It says in the description that the reason for the 7 in Bama was because we weren't a Shall Issue state (we are now) and that OC had "exceptions" which never existed statutorily even before the new law went into effect on August 21 of this year strengthening OC rights.

That was pretty much my point - There is no rationale under which a state should get the same rating in a given category as the states you list here when the state in question does not require a permit to OC, and there is fully legal OC (and always has been - the only deviation was in LE's enforcement policies).
    Seems that the pistol purchase permit would fall under miscellaneous, not 'carry'. Carry, at least for CC was broadened this year, restaurants, places that charge admission, even vehicle storage on any public school campus, from elementary school to a university.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Glad to see my state was number 5, very pro gun.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    TANSTAAFL? I am familiar with TINSTAAFL - There is no such thing as a free lunch. Anyway nice to live in Utah. Second most gun friendly state. First if you take summer temperatures into account
    It was "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" until some English major got ahold of it. 😀
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12