Laws for Firearms: Best States for Gun Owners in 2013
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laws for Firearms: Best States for Gun Owners in 2013

Ran across this article on FB and thought some may find it interesting.
    ~
    It will help some to understand why some of our forum members are so down on their states.
    ~
    Laws for Firearms: Best States for Gun Owners - Guns & Ammo
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    Ran across this article on FB and thought some may find it interesting.
    ~
    It will help some to understand why some of our forum members are so down on their states.
    ~
    Laws for Firearms: Best States for Gun Owners - Guns & Ammo
    Yeah Utah. Way to go. #4

Washington is ranked 40? I don't buy that for a second. Going off of their criteria, we have legal open carry with no permit, Shall issue CCW with no mandatory training reqs, no MSR or magazine capacity restrictions, we have a rough castle doctrine and I feel the self-defense laws in WA are fairly strong. The only point I see we fault in is that MGs, SBR and SBS are not legal here, but silencers and AOWs are. Not nearly bad enough to put us at 40 IMO

I generally take these studies with a grain of salt. Most of the time they are somewhat out of date. But I do like this study because I plan on trying to sell and move soon. This study will come somewhat handy to help determine where I want to move to. i am looking for a "gun friendly" and tax friendly state!

So thanks for posting this!!

Quote Originally Posted by vernsimpson View Post
    i am looking for a ... tax friendly state!
    All states are tax friendly. They are friends with any tax they have found, and some they don't know about yet.
    TANSTAAFL

TANSTAAFL? I am familiar with TINSTAAFL - There is no such thing as a free lunch. Anyway nice to live in Utah. Second most gun friendly state. First if you take summer temperatures into account
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

SD #27 - bull pucky to that!

In terms of laws, we have few, they are short and not very limiting. It looks like the biggest hit we took in those rankings was for not having a Castle Doctrine law.

I think the Brady Bunch ranking tells a better story. (reading them from bottom to top, of course.)

Oh well, on to the next survey.
    Never argue with a red-haired witch. It wastes your breath and only delays the inevitable. --the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt

There are errors... They miss the "make my day" in Colorado, and in the companion "best concealed carry states" they list it as required to show proficiency with a handgun. It is still pretty darn expensive to apply, though...
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

10. Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Washington is ranked 40? I don't buy that for a second. Going off of their criteria, we have legal open carry with no permit, Shall issue CCW with no mandatory training reqs, no MSR or magazine capacity restrictions, we have a rough castle doctrine and I feel the self-defense laws in WA are fairly strong. The only point I see we fault in is that MGs, SBR and SBS are not legal here, but silencers and AOWs are. Not nearly bad enough to put us at 40 IMO
    And there is also the partial handgun registry issue. Retail dealers must record and report all retail pistol sales to local police/sheriff and to state department of licensing.RCW 9.41.110: Dealer's licenses, by whom granted, conditions, fees ? Employees, fingerprinting and background checks ? Wholesale sales excepted ? Permits prohibited.

Quote Originally Posted by civilian75 View Post
    And there is also the partial handgun registry issue. Retail dealers must record and report all retail pistol sales to local police/sheriff and to state department of licensing.RCW 9.41.110: Dealer's licenses, by whom granted, conditions, fees ? Employees, fingerprinting and background checks ? Wholesale sales excepted ? Permits prohibited.
    all law enforcement agencies I've dealt with shred those things because they're completely pointless, but point taken. I've still not had any legal trouble doing or getting anything I've wanted related to firearms though, so I think 40 is still a little rough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast