Flying out of PHX Sky Harbor....bad

Thread: Flying out of PHX Sky Harbor....bad

1. Flying out of PHX Sky Harbor....bad

Basically, I checked in 1.5 hours before my flight left (6am flight) at 4:30am. Unfortunately, I was flying United Airlines. As I was told, I waited for 12mins (they said 10-15mins) before heading to security. Had about 45mins before our flight left, so I sat and waited.

5:40, I was boarded and ready to go. My cell rings, and it is a Phoenix area code...uh oh. I know where this is going. They asked me to come back out of security, and give them the key and combination to my lock boxes (ammo box, and small shotlock box).

A supervisor met me, and asked for the key and code. I told him I was not comfortable with that, and he said there was no other option. At this point there was a possibility that I could have made my flight, so I didn't debate him much. He came back very shortly, gave me my keys, and said I could go.

I was steamed, but it is the TSA. There is nothing I could do. Yes I know, I could have talked to the superintendent, but that wouldn't have done any good. That is a real way that they can hassle us, is by waiting to contact us until the last minute. I filed a complaint on the TSA website, but I know that is going nowhere.

A couple of questions, am I legally obligated to let them open my case when I am not there? I didn't think so, but the TSA website does not say either way.

Also, is there any better way to complain to the TSA? I will probably call, but we all know what good that will do.

Next time, I will just plan on missing my flight, if it is that close, and talk to the superintendent if needed. Why would it take a full hour before they got in touch with me?

Just venting. I know there isn't much I can do.

Oh yes, and I still don't like United. Southwest ANY day, over them.

AG

I checked a firearm with United a few weeks ago to fly roundtrip to DFW from Dulles, and had no problem at all. I checked my LCP in a locked box inside my luggage, and when I told the agent I needed to declare an unloaded firearm, she made me open the case right there at the counter so that they could see, and then, after I re-locked and re-packed the case, they walked me to the TSA baggage check area. They scanned it, gave me a thumbs-up, and I was on my way. The return from DFW was more or less the same, except TSA chose to swab for nitrates inside my bag at the checkpoint. Since I'd been shooting during my trip, it was no surprise that the suitcase tested positive. Even then, they just sifted through my stuff and sent me on my way. For what it's worth, I fly 75,000 miles a year with United, and probably 25K a year with other airlines. They're all the same as far as I can tell: just half a notch above a city bus.

I understand their need to verify that the gun meets criteria for travel, and that the box indeed contains the claimed item and not, say, a bomb. They should inspect the contents in your presence though, considering their track record for thefts.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

It's against the law to give your key or combination to TSA. Next time you will be ready.

49CFR 1540.111 - Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

CFR
    Updates
    Authorities (U.S. Code)
    Rulemaking
    prev | next
    § 1540.111
    Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
    (a) On an individual's person or accessible property—prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property—
    (1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under this subchapter;
    (2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or
    (3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §§ 1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.
    (b) On an individual's person or accessible property—permitted carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the following:
    (1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.
    (2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with §§ 1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, 1546.211, or subpart B of part 1562 of this chapter.
    (3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area under a security program.
    (c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter :
    (1) Any loaded firearm(s).
    (2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
    (i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
    (ii) The firearm is unloaded;
    (iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
    (iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

So unless you are there, it's illegal for them to open your container if you have checked it in with the front desk.

If you are there, you still have to open the container as they can not have possession of the key or combination.

If you did not declare the firearm, they can legally break open the case and give it to authorities.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. Thanks. That law is what I needed. I have it printed out, and it will always go with me. I was not as prepared as I should have been, and there are things I wish I would have done differently. This is the first time that they have flagged it.

The part that made me the most upset, is how United handled my bag. It arrived two hours before I did, at the airport. When went to the baggage claim area, my bag was sitting outside of the office, in the public area. Anyone could have walked off with it.

Anyways, if I can help it, I am totally done with United.

7. I don't fly any more, unless I have to in an emergency, or there is simply no way around the time factor.

I see in my future no flying at all.

I had a (former) baggage handler admit to me that he sent a local detective's luggage to another country, because he was PO'd over a bust.

He said the detective sent a step-by-step account of how he did it and why, and of course this guy was fired. He seemed proud of the fact that he did what he did, and getting fired didn't cause him any grief at all. He was then employed by a retailer who obviously didn't do back ground checks.

Last time my luggage arrived trashed, I started my aircraft free travel plans.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

Flying out of PHX Sky Harbor....bad

What a mess. Having a pilot's license sure males life easier. I open carry when I fly lol.

Quote Originally Posted by agman View Post
    Thanks. That law is what I needed. I have it printed out, and it will always go with me. I was not as prepared as I should have been, and there are things I wish I would have done differently. This is the first time that they have flagged it.

The part that made me the most upset, is how United handled my bag. It arrived two hours before I did, at the airport. When went to the baggage claim area, my bag was sitting outside of the office, in the public area. Anyone could have walked off with it.

Anyways, if I can help it, I am totally done with United.
    Delta has done that twice to me. One time they had to call in a delta representative because I said I would not be going home until I had my firearm with me (it was locked in delta's employee room and all their employees went home for the night). The other time a TSA agent had to go find my bag.

For some reason they kept putting my bag on the flight 2 hours earlier going to the same destination too...letting it go around the carousel until no one picked it up...then putting it in a separate room. Ridiculous.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson